Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the mail today and almost CRIED when my YARN finally showed up!! I ordered it 2 1/2 weeks ago and one color was on backorder so they didn't send it till I called and beeeeegggged them to mail what they had in stock.

This is done with Galway Colornep and Galway regular. I really like it and it is soooo nice and soft! I got it at http://www.yarnware.com

One question for the knitters.... please notice the "jog" in the stripes in the back.... I knitted in the round (haven't added leg cuffs yet, probably will tomorrow after I try it on girlie!) and I don't like those jogs. Any way to prevent it??

Oh, the pattern is sort of from this one, sort of not:
http://www.livejournal.com/community...rs/110889.html

The colors are much richer in real life, the purple is heathery and the lavendar is much more lavendar (it looks almost white in the pic).

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL192/...4/55984244.jpg

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL192/...4/55984248.jpg

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
You did an awsome job on that soaker! I love it! And I cannot believe you did it in one day. The fastest I've ever done one is four days. lol And I usually put all of my free time into it.

I got those same jogs in the striped soaker I did on circs, but I'm not a very experienced knitter, so I'm not sure if there might be a way to avoid it.

And, as for the fitted peeking through, I think it must be that the needles are large. What size did you use? I have never had that happen, but I've never used anything larger than a six. I usually use ltk yarn with size four needles. I think it looks great anyway. If it bugs you too much, you could use it as an excuse to buy a matching dipe.

J.

PS I have been meaning to email you to thank you for the gorgeous playsilk. It has been nawing at me that I didn't say anything in my other email. It's our first playsilk and I love it. And milo loves it when I waive it over his face.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
More experienced ones can step in here and tell you what they do for jogs but what I do is, when I get ready to change yarn colors, I take the old yarn color and the new yarn color, and I knit with those two strands for three knits, and then I drop the old color. Then when you come to those two strands, you just knit them like one on the next row.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meredith... Ugh, that's what I did.... well, only 2 knits, not 3. I hate the way they look though! I know I'm being neurotic, because dh is like "WHO CARES? She's gonna poop on it!"
:

Thanks for the feedback guys! I was using my Denise size 7 (size 5 for the ribbing) and I think I will do size 6. I'm working on some soaker shorts today...

Jayne: Glad you got the silk!
I love silks!

Oh, and this is weird, but I swear, in real life, you DON'T notice the fitted, just when it is in a picture! Maybe the flash makes it more obvious?

Kimberly

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I think if you go to google and type in "jogless jog" you'll find a whole list of sites that will tell you how to make the circles go straight around when you're knitting in the round.

Were your stitches on gauge? I saw your pattern say 5 stitches per inch. If so, then you're soaker is probably a bit small since it is being stretched in order to fit and thus the diaper is showing through.

Great job!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
One way to avoid jogs when knitting in the round is to use variegated yarn.
Ok, yeah, I guess that would be cheating....

I read a really complicated article about avoiding jogs once, written by one of the famous Grandmothers of Knitting, but I can't remember which one. Maybe the "Knitting without Tears" one? Anyway, I didn't understand a word of it since I was still a beginner at the time. I'll look for it tonight, though, and let you know if I find it.

The soakers look great, by the way! You must be one speedy knitter!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.