Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of some advice.<br><br>
I suspect that my three year old has WC. It doesn't seem to be bad, but the cough is so odd sounding. At night he has bad coughing fits, and at the end of the fit he gasps for air. I've been doing steam treatments and chest percussions, and it does seem to be helping.<br><br>
I was reading in another thread about using vitamin C to treat WC. We've never used Vit C to treat anything, so I don't know what kind to buy or how much to give. I also just came down with a bad cold, so I could probably stand to take it myself.<br><br>
I'm confused about the different types of vit C's that seem to be out there. I need brand names and dosages. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm subbing. My DS has a bad cold. I have <a href="http://vitanetonline.com/description/SN0443/vitamins/Sodium-Ascorbate-Buffered-C-Crystals/" target="_blank">Source Naturals Sodium Ascorbate Crystals</a>, and I can't figure out the dosage for my 20 lb. 9 month old.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
You need to take Sodium Ascorbate, I buy the NOW brand at my local HFS. It's a powder I mix it in water with bioflavanoids, they help absorbe the Vit c. The dosage is between 325-375mg per kg. We have WC and I am taking 350mg per kg. One kg equals 2.2lbs. Then take the bioflavanoids in a ratio of 5g of SA to 1g of bioflavanoids. My dosage of SA works about to be about 12g a day. I take 3g when I wake up, and try to take about 1g an hour after that, if I forget then I'll take 2-3g at once. I work the bioflavanoids in there somewhere. HTH

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
My 3 year old has WC as well, she weighs about 28 lbs, and her dose is 4.5g a day. However, she does not tolerate vit c very well, even 2g a day gives her severe diarrhea, so I mix her up her vit c in kefir and have her sip it throughout the day, as soon as she says her tummy feels funny or I notice her BM changing then I stop for the day.<br><br>
DD2 is a month old, I just giving her her vit c through my BM, I have noticed no effect on her stool or tummy, but it helping her, she only has a very mild case of WC.<br><br>
You can mix up the vit c in a syringe with BM and give to babies that way. Excuse typos NAKing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts