Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone. First off, my name is Julie. I'm a married mother of 2. Homeschooling our dd, 11, and our ds is 3. DS was bf and has never been vaxed for anything.

I have always had an underlying fear of whooping cough. DS in very prone to croup and has had it 4 times. This is the only time he's sick. A year ago he had it (croup) and on the same day, he'd gotten a haircut, which he despises, so he'd cried quite a bit that day during the haircut. I think this added to his croup being so severe that night. (swelling his larynx more) He started wheezing and salivating and was tensing more and more, so we brought him to the er. They said his oxygen level was good, gave him a bt and we took him home and treated him here. I know the night air probably improved it too.

The reason I'm talking about croup is because I'm concerned that his airway may be narrower (the reoccuring croup). Would he suffer more if he got whooping cough?

I've educated myself on Vit. C therapy for Pertussis and I'm prepared for it, should he ever get it. Just scared.

Last night, I was watching Miami Ink on TLC and a woman got a tattoo of her son, who'd died 5 years ago when he was 2. She said he'd choked to death from whooping cough. She still felt extreme sadness and guilt. They never said whether or not he was vaxed, regardless, he died at 2. I was under the impression that older babies and toddlers could handle this disease. This worried me more.

I guess I'm just asking for a little support or experience relating to this. Sorry so long.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I cant answer all of your questions, but I know that if my child was choking or coughing to that point, I would have them at the hospital. If a child (or adult) with whooping cough is having that hard of a time catching their breath, they can put them in the hospital and give them oxygen. If it got to the point where they were choking like that, they could intibate. Granted it isnt something I would want to see happen to my child, but it beats risking death. I think without knowing spcifics its hard to know....was her child choking before that, just not to that severity? Was he turning blue/dusky after coughing episodes? I just have a feeling that it wasnt as simple as that and maybe (MAYBE!) she ignored some warning signs she shouldnt have.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
I cant answer all of your questions, but I know that if my child was choking or coughing to that point, I would have them at the hospital. If a child (or adult) with whooping cough is having that hard of a time catching their breath, they can put them in the hospital and give them oxygen. If it got to the point where they were choking like that, they could intibate. Granted it isnt something I would want to see happen to my child, but it beats risking death. I think without knowing spcifics its hard to know....was her child choking before that, just not to that severity? Was he turning blue/dusky after coughing episodes? I just have a feeling that it wasnt as simple as that and maybe (MAYBE!) she ignored some warning signs she shouldnt have.
I wondered the same things. She didn't go into ANY detail except that he'd died because he had whooping cough, he was choking, they'd brought him to the hospital and they lost him. I wish she'd said more. She said that he was 2 years old. They showed his photo and he was beautiful. The mother and the daughter seemed like wonderful people, too. I could feel her pain and it was still very, very strong after 5 years.
:

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Oh, I know. Dont get me wrong, it is awful! My friend lost her dd at just 2 months old when she came down with pneumonia. She passed away while they were trying to intibate. It was awful. However, again, there were other factors involved....probably the biggest of which was that the mom smoked around the baby all the time (as well as through her pregnancies). Her cold may not have even developed into pneumonia had her mom not been smoking around her. Another factor was that they lived a 6 hour car ride from the nearest childrens hospital. They had to take her to a regular hospital, which took forever to see her and originally sent her home. Then her mom took her back and they life flighted her to the childrens hospital but by then it was too late.
:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the best you can do is provide your child with the healthiest environment possible, educate yourself on these diseases and use your gut, mothering instinct.

Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Hi Iloveum. As a frequenter of the vax forum, I would recommend posting this in the main part of the forum - the Pertussis section is mainly an archive, so you probably won't get any responses there.

I had pertussis about ten years ago and while I definitely had a few rough coughing spells, it wasn't anything like we read about pertussis being. And I was not the healthiest I could be (far from it!). I believe that with proper care, your son would do fine with it. One thing to keep in mind is that the CDC is now saying that something like over 600K people have pertussis each year and it's most often misdiagnosed as bronchitis, as the symptoms are not *that* bad. (Mine was diagnosed as bronchitis as well, so I am working only on my own diagnosis here - lots of coughing spells, though none during the day, and lasted about three months.)

I hope I don't sound like I am belittling your concerns about your son - I guess I am saying that since you are aware of how to treat it (with Sodium Ascorbate, etc) and what to look for, he's got a leg up on much of the rest of the world!

HTH!

Melissa

PS WELCOME to MDC!!!

PPS Edited to say I just saw your post in Vaccinations and I see you're getting plenty of responses! Sorry - I misread your post about it!

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
My 3 year old DS is fully vaccinated and is prone to croupe. Has spent many many many nights in the hospital because we couldn't treat it at home (after nebulizer treatments, cold air, moist air, etc). About three weeks ago we found out he had pertussis. He was MISERABLE but I wouldn't say it was horrible. Not any worse than the croupe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts