Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I'm seriously lacking in motivation to get things in order for this baby...or is it just early yet? I'm worried that with the holidays coming up it's going to be frantic, so I "should" take care of preparing for baby in advance, but I'm a born procrastinator and it's even worse with baby #2 (I guess since I don't need as much).

I suppose I also still feel a little timid about the pregnancy, like I don't want to jinx anything.

I've bought a couple little outfits, but I haven't worked anything out for newborn size diapers, cloth wipes, a bouncy seat, etc. Plus I'm pondering an Amby Baby Hammock; at that price I'll most likely ask for that as a Christmas or baby gift, so I want to be sure I truly want it, but I can't decide. Not to mention that I'd like to get my bedroom painted and some stuff like that!

What have you all done...or not done?

Carol

·
Registered
512 Posts
I haven't done much preparation either. For some reason the holidays are a kind of mental block for me, like I can't think beyond them. We have some outfits and some nursery decor, but no actual baby furniture, gear (except a sling), or diapering supplies. It's all about priorities, right? Ha ha.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have bought some outfits, and dh has painted a dresser for clothes/changing table thingy. I am in school full time this term, and have decided that to keep my grades reasonable, I should focus on school until I'm done. I only have 4 and a half more weeks!
I want to think about baby stuff, and I have a pile of fabric to make diaper bag, wipes ect, but I don't want to get stressed out. Sooooo, I'll just wait until December to do so. Kinda bad timing with Christmas and all-hhmmmmm. I haven't even begun to think about presents and such.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I am a serious planner, but don't feel like I have nearly enough done! Just trying to peck away at it week by week.

We are having a homebirth, so I just reserved the birth tub today. Haven't started getting things for my birth kit together yet - that & writing my birth plan are next on the list.

I have a son & this one is going to be a girl, so I've gotten a lot of clothes - actually I hate to admit it, but I already have an entire dresser filled (mostly second-hand).

We borrowed an infant car seat from a friend, but have most of the other "stuff" - slings, baby seat, play mat, toys, bouncy seat, high chair, etc. etc. etc. sitting up in our attic.

I promised myself I would complete my son's baby book before the new baby comes - we'll see if that actually happens

We're renovating our downstairs bathroom ourselves (turned into a much longer project than planned) but are pushing ourselves to have it finished before Thanksgiving (we're hosting this year).

And I couldn't stand to look at the truly ugly dusty rose wallpaper in our living room & library one day longer (the "decorating" of a previous owner) so I tore it down with DS a few weeks back. Now I just have to motivated myself to sand, repair & paint the walls! DH was not thrilled when he came home from work that night.

No doubt I am doing some serious nesting!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've been getting things ready since early in the first tri - I just didn't want to leave it all to the end, when it will be even harder for me to work on things due to being huge AND being the holidays. Actually I don't have much left to do at this point!

I don't have a nursery to prepare - Ian will sleep with us until he's big enough to share a room with Noah.

So what I have done so far is get some baby clothes (went through what little I had left from Noah, bought some things from ebay, bought a few new things), made a second sling (to have an extra to keep in the car), bought a car seat, bought a baby swing (got a great deal on a used one), bought a bouncy seat from ebay, made some space in my dresser and closet for his clothes and diapers, started his baby book, collected a few baby toys (some new, some used), and started building a diaper stash.

Much less prep than I did for my first baby, because we had a whole room fixed up for her! And lots less "stuff" because I didn't realize back then what things I really didn't need and wouldn't use!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have purc hased all the new diapers for these babes- I just need to get the old ones out of storage.

That is all I have done. I need to majorly overhaul DS' s room so the twins will fit in there, at least their stuff since they will be sleeping with us.

I have to get moving because I don't know how much longer I will be mobile.
I do need to get the car seats because if nothing else I absolutely need those!

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Oh wow, carol. Go read my post I just posted. It sounds EXACTLY like yours.. LOL Guess I should have read down a bit before posting. Makes me feel so much better I am not the only lunatic thinking like this!

·
Registered
324 Posts
So far i've bought all the diapers i'll need along with enough covers to last for a long time. I also have plenty of onesies, some of which i'll be making into tshirts. I have a good stock of pjs and i've been sewing different pants for baby. That is just the stuff i've bought. I know my MIL got me a baby carrier, but I still want a sling. Most of the stuff I want i'm asking for for Christmas, and i'm assuming i'll still have a baby shower mid January. I'm scared i'm going to get too much stuff for the baby and not have room for any of it. We are in a 1br for now and plan on cosleeping, so that eliminates the need for a crib. I will get a playyard/bassinet/changing table combo thing, just to have something in case I need it. I'll know more after the holidays and my bday, which is mid january. I hope I get everything I need.
I can say it has been hard to not buy the things I need though. I seem impatient and don't want to wait for presents. But I am waiting.

·
Registered
537 Posts
So far I've

-bought diapers and covers for the newborn/small stage (we had service when dd was little)

-sorted dd's clothes to see what we could use for this babe (boy), which was very little

-bought some 0-3 and 3-6 sleepers and outfits so that I won't need to buy clothes right away, regardless of baby's size

-finally figured out how to take apart and wash the infant car seat cover (dd's) while we were cleaning out the basement

We figured in late November we will drag out all the other baby stuff and set it up, so dd has a chance to get used to it. My friend gave us a moses basket a few weeks ago and dd has filled it with dolls and stuffed animals. I figure I need time for the newness to wear off of the baby gear or I will always be fighting the dolls for the changing table.

·
Registered
567 Posts
if getting things ready means going nuts and buying all kinds of carriers, then yep, i am!

I'm getting an ellaroo rebozo
anxious to get my Kozy back that I just lent out last week
saving up for a pocket kozy
sewing a nightgown to trade for an ellaroo ring sling.

i didn't have a good newborn carrier when ds was born so this time I will be prepared
when he was born I had a baby bjorn but he hated it so I bought a MnM pouch but it was too small
then I bought an ergo that we love and will keep forever
bought a KKAFP but it was hot in the summer so I sold it D'oh!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I've only bought some clothes so far, when I've found really good deals (like $0.99 for six outfits on eBay!). We also found a high chair for $10, and didn't pass it up because Iwe didn't think we'd find one so cheap and in great condition again. We're moving in three weeks (YAY!!!) so we don't want to buy much to just add to all the stuff we have to haul across the country to start with. After the move we'll start getting more stuff.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ummmm . . . I've done NUTTIN'!!!! LOL I'm just trying to keep my head above water with the three boys and their activities and homeschooling and my volunteer work. Ack!!!

I did, however, realize a couple days ago that it's almost November. How did that happen??? So, I made my kid's Halloween costumes (very cute, if I may say so myself!), got together my Christmas list and bought a bunch of stuff, caught up our Christmas card address listing, and I started housecleaning for the THREE weekends we'll have houseguests in November. Basically, I've started purging things we don't need. So, that's sort of getting ready!

Deep down inside, I think the real reason I haven't even started looking at what diapers or clothes I have for the baby is because I'm still so afraid I'm going to lose him/her. Crazy, I know. But, after three losses, I'm a bit scared!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Wow, some of you are so on the ball.

I have done virtually nothing! The only thing that keeps from saying absolutly nothing is that I did buy some fabric to make diaper wipes, and I made 5 this morning. They are kind of funny/cute fabrics together since dd picked them out, but hey they are for wiping right?

I really need to go through all of dd smaller clothes, diapers, and wraps and Unbury the little baby gear we do have. It just seems like there is so much stuff happening between now and then that I have yet to really start thinking about it. Though I have started to think I need to be thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have all the clothes and baby gear we could ever hope for (this is our third girl). It'll be my first time to cloth diaper a new baby so I recently got 24 newborn prefolds, 4 newborn covers, and 4 small covers. I'd like to get about 12 more newborn diapers, and 36 infant sized (not newborn) prefolds. A couple more wet bags would be good. I might make another sling, using my Hotsling as a template. I will probably knit a couple of small wool covers too for night time. Diapering stuff is really all I need to work on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.