Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I wish. I was too uptight during my first pg, then I wasn't interested during my second. Now? I'd love some in a few weeks time, but in my contract it's a no no. So no glass of wine until after birth!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here in Shanghai, it depends on where your doctor was trained. States, all wine or beer is a NO NO. Europe, one glass in your 2 trimester a week is totally okay. Asia, How could you POSSIBLE put that into your body! And you HAVE to suffer through M/S, otherwise it would not be a healthy pregnancy.

j/k but it does feel like that when you ask different nationality of doctors questions. A french Pedi thinks it is irresponsibly to give a 2 year old pedicare for a runny nose.

Right now I just wish I could drink anything, seriously anything that did not make me gag.

Lemonaid, water, tea, a small sip of coffee, anything.....

Lyn

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had an occasional half-glass of wine with my second and third pregnancies, and both those two turned out just fine. That said, my midwife here in laid-back NL told me, when I said I'd probably do the same this pregnancy, that the research indicates that it really is best to forgo all alcohol; even tiny amounts seem to have an effect.

After that conversation, I Googled "france pregnancy wine" and discovered that even there, pregnant women are warned not to drink during pregnancy (so there goes the myth that French women drink wine every day and have perfectly healthy babies, sigh
). There's even been a big brouhaha over the warning about drinking during pregnancy that the French government wanted to put on wine bottles starting in 2004, and some French wine makers have even been sued for birth defects because the mothers said they weren't well enough informed.

So I'll be abstaining during this pregnancy.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
with my first wine did not sound good *at all* to me at any point, so i abstained. but with DS, about midway through the 3rd trimester, a small glass occasionally at night, coupled with a warm bath really helped me sleep better.

in fact, those last few weeks while i was in prodromal hell the m/w suggested it several times
calm down, go have a glass a wine and get some sleep. the baby's not coming tonight

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well good variety ladies! I will likely have a few glasses in the entire pregnancy (4 maybe?). Of course, not all at once! Probably at about 5 months I'd have a glass one time a month or something.

Just wonderin' what ya'll were doin'.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Maybe a few swallows... less than half a glass probably. I already miss wine though! We visited Sonoma county right before I found out I was pregnant and brought back a case of wine. Plus our wine club shipments just kicked in... If dh breaks into those bottles, I'll kill him! LOL

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I don't drink wine as I think it tastes nasty, but if I did I would not have an issue with drinking a few glass through the pg. I was having a craving for a mudslide the other day, but the way we make them the alcohol content would be more then I would feel safe with. I think it was actually more of a craving for the vodka in the mudslide so that makes it even odder.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I love wine (red wine) and am definitely missing it, so I'm bummed to be told I really shouldn't have it. Wah. I'll probably do so more reading up on it once I'm out of the first trimester. I really can't believe a half glass here and there can have such a negative impact in the second and third trimesters, but then I'd never smoke even one puff of a cigarette while pregnant (or any other time, but that's beside the point
), so there's some double-standard stuff going on with me there, I guess. Ah, well, I'm a read-and-research-it geek anyway; gives me something more to obsess about.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
thought i'd add that a friend of mine who had her first DS in Italy and her second DS in the US was *stunned* to find out that women were told not to drink during pregnancy. in Italy they apparently ask you to limit it to one glass of wine per meal

·
Registered
633 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
thought i'd add that a friend of mine who had her first DS in Italy and her second DS in the US was *stunned* to find out that women were told not to drink during pregnancy. in Italy they apparently ask you to limit it to one glass of wine per meal

Okay, so now I had to Google "Italy pregnancy wine"
. (Bizarrely enough, my first post in this thread came up on page 2
.) The results there are much more encouraging. Even found a post by a British OB/GYN who says one glass of wine a few times a week is perfectly safe.
(At least he claimed to be an OB\GYN . . . that's the downside of Google research. It was just an e-mail response to someone; he could be anything, including certified crazy.)

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
I will, starting in the 2nd trimester. The village we live in is dry, and we have to go into Anchorage for appointments. I can't watch DH have his beer without partaking in something myself!

I won't tell anyone here, though... there's such a problem with FASD out here that pregnant women are (unofficially) divided into two categories: those who drink and those who don't. As a teacher, I'm *expected* to be in the "don't" category. It's such a complicated issue, and a highly locally touchy one. I certainly don't, as an outsider, want to get into it. So as far as anyone here knows, I won't be touching the stuff on my trips to Anchorage (and home to WI for winter break... and being in Wisconsin, I'll want to have a drink).

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
I only drink alcohol a few times per year even when not pregnant, so for me it's no big deal to go 9 months without wine. But my good friend had a couple of glasses in her 3rd trimester, and I didn't see anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking forward to it in the 2nd trimester-- actually beer is what I'm missing. My doctor says it's okay to have one alcoholic drink per month so I'm going for it!

Congrats to all the April mommies btw-- I'm due Apr. 25th!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
... and being in Wisconsin, I'll want to have a drink).
Yeah, let me tell you, it's been a rough few weeks here in WI not being able to sling back a few with everyone else!

I do miss wine (more than beer, which is odd because I usually love both - we're wicked beer snobs in our house), so I'm looking forward to having a half-glass here and there.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.