Mothering Forum banner

Who's NOT finding out baby's sex?

703 Views 23 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  AmieV
We've decided to get an ultrasound & are having it on Thurs. I hadn't wavered at all about not finding out the sex (DH really wants it to be a surprise too) until so many of you found out & now it's KILLING me! Oh, the peer pressure!!!

I know Krista's waiting... are she & I the only ones?!?!?!?!
See less See more
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
We're waiting. I am afraid my midwife will schedule me a u/s and I'll crack but I really want it to be a surprise.
DH feels strongly this is the "last great Christmas present", so he insists we not find out.

We did the same with DD's birth. Not only did we do the first trimester ultrasound, we did the 20-week scan AND a third-trimester 4D ultrasound. In each case we asked the tech to avoid the genital area as much as possible, and if she needed to scan it for medical reasons, please turn the monitor away. For the 4D she ended up not scanning below the waist at all. We just knew that if she showed us that area, we'd both be making mental "guesses", so we avoided it.

So there's at least three of us who will be surprised in another 4-5 months!

KC
I'm not finding out, either!

In fact, I'm debating about having an ultrasound at all. I think my dh really wants me to have one (not sure why...he can't get off work to come), so I'll have to consider that in my decision. I do have an ultrasound scheduled for April 27th, if I decide to do it.
I think there are a lot more waiting than you might think.
We are too.
We're not find out either. My DD REALLY wants to know and said that the ultrasound tech could just tell her and she promised not to tell anyone else.
My parents jokingly said I should find out because they figure that way we might actually be able to come up with a name sooner as we took such a long time to name DD.
See less See more
Well, I've been told both by two different techs, so I have absolutely no clue. Does that count?
we decided not to find out either. you have very few true surprises in life!! I still think about it every day though... I can see why most people choose to find out.
Hehehe... thanks for coming out of the woodwork for a bit of solidarity w/ me on this one! I can be strong!!!
See less See more
we're not finding out either. we had an u/s last monday and turned our heads while the tech was looking at that area. even after deciding we wanted to discover the sex for ourselves on our baby's birthday, we were still sooo tempted to turn our heads and peek.
See less See more
I'm about 95% certain that we won't be finding out at our u/s on Thursday. I really wanted to know the first trimester, but now I'm really not wanting to know. I'm happy with either sex (but for different reasons), so it would really only be for practical reasons, and that doesn't seem like reason enough for me.

Granted, I also enjoy driving everyone I know crazy b/c I'm not finding out, so there is some thrill in that ...
See less See more
The Long Version

We aren't finding out either. I had and u/s at 9weeks to date the pregnancy. I haven't decided whether to have another u/s yet. I am an "unofficial" client of my sister (she is a midwife). She has measured/palpated, listened to heart tones and urine tests. I am considering u/s around 26 weeks if I continue to measure ahead, I am currently measuring 24cm at 19 weeks. My sis has all my records from my other pgs and with all of them I measured right on or behind. We have had a couple u/s with other pgs but never found out the sex of the baby except w/ babe #5 and with her the tech told w/out even asking if we wanted to know. At the time I was more worried with the amount of damage to the placenta (I had just had an accident that caused two areas of the placenta to detach) but later I was mad as I couldn't keep it a secret and now everyone knew something intimate about me and my babe.

Anyway, if I do have an u/s I will be sure to specify that I do not want to know gender.

Happy gestating!
Sarah
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry's_Mamma
Granted, I also enjoy driving everyone I know crazy b/c I'm not finding out, so there is some thrill in that ...

My sil is due the day before me and she found out she is having a girl. The whole family keeps pestering me to find out too. I think it's funny.
See less See more
We are not finding out. We did with my first, a boy. But I can't wait to have that wonderful surprise at the birth. It is part of my vision of the birth, I guess.
We are not finding out either
We didn't with my daughter and had to have many late scans with her (pre eclampsia related) and never once did the tech go close enough for us to see.

I do love the surprise of the announcment

tara
See less See more
I really respect all of you who are waiting. I still don't know yet. I won't have my u/s until the 14th. It was killing me for awhile but now I'm kind of getting used to not knowing. How do you all put up with all the questions? I get asked at least once a day. I think we will end up finding out for our dd's sake. She really wants a sister and if she is getting a brother I'd like her to have time to adjust before the baby is born. Unfortunately, if we tell her everybody will know because, well, she's 4yo and just gets so excited that she will have to tell. If we tell her to keep it a secret I know that people will ask her anyway and I don't want to put her through that.
Thanks again everyone! U/S in the morning & I'm gonna be strong & resist temptation
See less See more
We're waiting too, but I'm not finding it all that hard. Since this is my first, I'm looking foward to feeling that "hunch" or "intuition" or having baby dreams or whatever is supposed to be my sixth sense kick in, and then waiting to see if I was right! So far, I haven't a clue. I might just wait for the next 4 1/2 months without a clue!
So far, my DH has had a girl dream, my mw says boy (b/c of heart rate), my mom is hoping for a boy, because she already has a granddaughter from my brother, and me? No hunch at all.
And as soon as people find out I'm preggers, it's the first question I get asked..."Are you gonna' find out?" That's a question I'm sure my grandma never had to answer...
See less See more
Yippee! U/S went really well. Had a wonderful tech who respected our wishes & never made any smart a** coments (like "don't look now if you don't want to know the sex" - duh, there's a gotta be a penis front & center w/ a comment like that!). I think I'll be able to relax a little about the sex now that it's behind us & just look forward to being surprised in August

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 in August
How do you all put up with all the questions? I get asked at least once a day.
Me too! Honestly though, that doesn't bother me. A lot of people think it's cool that we're waiting & are really supportive. We're lucky not to have had any pressure from family or close friends about it. EVeryone will be happy no matter what.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 in August
If we tell her to keep it a secret I know that people will ask her anyway and I don't want to put her through that.
That's another reason why I didn't want to find out. If we did, DH wanted to keep it a secret just between us. That would have been impossible for me cause I'm SUCH a blabbermouth!!!

Regarding intuition... I don't have an inkling (I think I'm trying not too so I don't get disappointed!) & if anyone else does, they have (wisely?) kept their opinion to themself.
See less See more
Glad your u/s went well and the tech didn't mess it up for you. I'm almost thinking that if it wouldn't be for dd I could wait this time. I'm with you on the hunches. I don't have a clue this time. Last time I was very sure it was a boy, lots of people were betting on a boy and then u/s showed a girl. So this time I'm not even trying to get a feel for it. We'll just wait and see what (if anything) we see on the 14th.
Jen
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.