Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, it's getting bad. I actually caught myself watching a commercial for Hamburger Helper the other day and thinking, "That looks *good*."
: I want McDonald's. I have actually been buying American cheese. Ordinarily I hate American cheese, I only like *real* cheese. I want to eat the crappiest food! What is making me want to eat this stuff??

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yep that is exactally what happened to me during the first 2 months. It was mac and cheese and hot dogs constantly. I even went to McDonalds and had a cheese burger and mcnuggets. I got a sub from Subway several times that would usually make me ill even thinking about it under normal circumstances.

For me I think that these things are what I grew up with so they are comfort foods. That's the only thing I can think of. Luckly the cravings are gone and I can go back to my normal life.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
you know, with my last baby, i had horrible, horrible morning sickness, even though i was eating "right"... then i realized that i wasn't listening to my cravings ~ i was seriously craving JUNK 24/7. so... i started listening to my body, and as soon as i started eating everything i was craving, my morning sickness went away.
i don't know WHY this happens but i really do think our bodies tell us what it needs, even if WE don't think it's "healthy" or "right."

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Quote:
i don't know WHY this happens but i really do think our bodies tell us what it needs, even if WE don't think it's "healthy" or "right."
I have to agree. One thing that ties both of my pregnancies together was the every morning craving for some sort of fastfood morning sandwich with a sausage patty. With dd, I even ate 2 one morning which is pretty unusual for someone who like to have a bowl of oatmeal with nuts and honey. All I can figure was that I was craving the extra protein for all the work my body was going through in those first couple of weeks, because the craving usually sudsided once I started eating a more pregnant diet.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
lol. this is too funny. junk food was about the only food other than oatmeal and bagels that I could keep down during my last pg (during the first trimester) especially those nasty frozen pizza rolls & salt & vinegar chips.
: & oh and yes famousmockingbird cheese sandwiches with that yellow cheese..

this time around I am not craving junk so much thankfully!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Who knows what it is....maybe it's just the ease-of-preparation factor? I'm at the point now where if I have to get up & do more than dig something out of the freezer & stick it in the oven, I don't want to eat it. Don't want to scramble an egg. Don't want anything that will require me to wash a dish/utensil to fix/eat it......it's bad.
Salt may also be a factor - I crave salt in a big way when pregnant, and have been told that that is a very healthy craving, as it helps establish the proper blood level, and actually keeps swelling down! And what was my mom's #1 complaint about boxed foods? They're TOO SALTY.

Now *I* want to know why I'm not hungry for much of anything at all? I'm 30 weeks, should be eating all day long.....and I catch myself having not eaten anything at 3 in the afternoon. Not good. and I go to a restaurant (even a whole-foods one!) and nothing sounds good at all. I feel like I"m not doing my job properly!

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one guiltily licking salt and grease off her fingers.
I just feel bad for my family - not that they're complaining, mind you, but I am worried about their arteries! They don't usually get hamburgers and fries for dinner! Homemade, at least, but still...

You know what my 2 year old and I had for lunch one day last weeK? Ice cream!

The weird thing is, I am on the border between the 1st and 2nd trimesters. 1st trimester, I felt ill and tired and didn't want to eat much of anything. Now the 2nd trimester is almost here and I don't feel ill and tired anymore, but now I'm getting these cravings for terrible food.

I'm going to go eat a bagel with melted yellow cheese now.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
i'm having this problem too... I am having major food aversions to everything! I have al this healthy beautiful food in my house and the thought of eating it makes me gag..or want to cry. sigh... the only thing i do want to eat is mcd's double cheeseburgers...i usually hate mcdonalds, was a vegan before i got pregnant...and even before i was a vegan didn't like beef much, especially hamburger which i pretty much loathed...but here i am none the less craving a double cheese burger...wishing there was a mcd's withen walking distance os i woudln't have to eat any of the awful and healthy food here sigh lol

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mehndi mama, I was the same way the last few months I was pregnant with DS1. I think maybe there just wasn't a lot of room in there and everything was getting a little squished, stomach included. Even when I was actually hungry, I couldn't eat a lot at once.

After DS was born, though, I ate a burrito as big as my head.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I've been in that boat too! I think Stell is right, for me it's all about the SALT. Chips (which I never usually eat), Beef-a-roni!!!, etc. This time I also went through a big Cream of Wheat & Oatmeal phase, LOL.

Like my bestfriend said, if you can't eat what you want when you're pregnant, what's the point to life, LOL.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Oh Wow - I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one going through this!!! I was trying to eat heathy as I normally do, but it was all making my stomach turn. I was so happy that I was able to have a "meal" yesterday, but it was mac & cheese and fries. Anything wheat I hate at the moment and only want plain white bread. And the worst is my new found love of Spaghettios with Meatballs. I really hope this passes soon so I can actually eat something healthy!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I craved junk food all through my 2nd pregnancy. I wanted Doritos, hot dogs, greasy burritos, and Coke all of the time. Thank god I don't have that problem this time. I keep craving salad. :LOL

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
First pregnancy I wanted Wendy's double cheeseburgers...daily!!! This time I think seeing "Supersize Me" early in my first trimester cured my fast food cravings
, but I'm still craving heavier, saucy comfort type foods. Anything made on the grill or plain.....ewwww!! I want stovetop stuffing and gravy, Hamburger Helper type things, etc. Grease is wonderful and I'm loving eggs, cheese, etc.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yum, this is making me hungry

You know what I miss? I miss Steak 'Ums. Used to eat them at school on one of those hoagie rolls (the soft kind) with ketchup. Talk about good!!!!!
Now steak um's aren't real meat are they? I mean they CAN'T be!!! Why won't Boca make something like that!!!!!
The only thing I can say that is close to a school lunch are the chicken patties that Morningstar makes (or should I say "chicken"). They taste the same too. I've been thinking about school lunches lately can't you tell?
The one thing I hated though that everyone really loved were those rectangle pizzas. They never cooked them long enough. Used to be they had them only on Fridays but then they offered them every day.
Oh man I miss the hot turkey sandwiches too.
I better stop now

Karen

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I had another pg. woman tell me once what I SHOULD be eating. As bad as I had m/s my theory is this: At that point, anything that stays down constitutes a good meal, even if its half a bag of peanut M&M's.

With #2, and my only girl, I craved really sweet junk food, highly processed stuff like oreos. Not before and not since. I still crave sweets sometimes (in the first two trimesters with this baby, the thought of sweets made me ill). Now I want things, but I want brownies and cookies and cake and things that I make at home.

I also craved red meat with dd and I normally don't like much of that, I stick to chicken. I am pretty anemic and I suppose my body needed it. That and fresh spinach. Yum.

But I agree, you should listen to your cravings. You're body needs something thats in there, who knows what.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by heket
fastfood morning sandwich with a sausage patty. With dd, I even ate 2 one morning which is pretty unusual for someone who like to have a bowl of oatmeal with nuts and honey. All I can figure was that I was craving the extra protein for all the work my body was going through in those first couple of weeks, because the craving usually sudsided once I started eating a more pregnant diet.
Protein stabilizes blood sugar where as carbs don't even if they are slow carbs. We usually tell moms who are having morning sickness to get more protein. The other thing is that protein in the AM means better sleep in the PM.
As for other cravings, look at what it does for you, maybe it is just eating fast food that you don't have to prepare or smell while cooking. The OP talking about American cheese as opposed to hard cheese maybe it is a texture thing, smoothness there is also more oil in american cheese so I might think about getting more oil (essential fatty acids) in your diet. Are you eating salads you could put additional salad dressing.
In any case can you see where I am going with this? If the food isn't that good for you what are the elements that you might need. On the other hand if could all be associated with some sort of comfort or emotional stuff and that is much harder to substitute. Occasional junk food is probably not going to harm you either.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It could be a lot of things. Basically during my whole pregnancy I have been in lazy mode. I don't want to really do anything. I want true junk food, stuffy that can come out of the box or wrapper and is ready to it. It has even gotten so bad that I don't even want others to cook food for me. I just want something that I can pick up and go. I suppose this is why I have gained so much weight, I just hope it doesn't last after my son comes. I suppose it may until is is around three months and is old enough to go out and do things. Anyway talk to your doctor about it, I don't think it is that bad just craving things unless you start to crave things that aren't edible. And remeber your only supposed to have about 300 more calories a day anyway (unless your doc puts you on a special diet), and when you look at how many calories foods are loaded with it is not much. My doctor says that these calories should be like your prenatal vitamins, they just supplement your regular diet, and should be healthy. I kind of figured that, but a nurse at the hospital told me that it is good to indulge your self just once in a while and made a few of those 300 calories, a candy bar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.