Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to understand the history of FF'ng a little better. So many babies are given formula today and this started when? In the 50's? WHY on earth did this happen? How is this still happening today now that so much research has been done to show that formula is not adequate?

· Registered
2,911 Posts
My understanding was formula came about when men decided SCIENCE was superior to nature. And they thought they could produce a product just as well as mother nature.

I recommend reading Milk, Money & Madness: The culture and politics of breastfeeding by Naomi Baumslag, MD and Dia L. Michels. It's a fascinating book with lots of historical info.

· Registered
1,035 Posts
I think it was created to help babies. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't believe it was created to take the place of breastmilk, but was created out of necessity. When mothers died during childbirth, what did they give then? I believe that artificial breast milk was being given in much cruder forms and the "formula" for it has been improved over time. Obviously now it is big business and the advertising is a huge part of that, but somehow I don't think that's why it was created in the first place.

Of course, this is just my opinion and not based on any facts. I'll do a bit of research to see if my uneducated ramblings hold up

· Registered
1,035 Posts
After a bit of research, it seems that both wombat and I are correct. Henri Nestle (cue ominous overture) is credited with creating the first infant formulain the late 1800's. One could speculate that his motivations were two-fold: (1) that he saw an opportunity to make some money by (2) providing a useful - and at times necessary - alternative to breastmilk.

While I'm sure that money played a part, I still don't think he set out to create something to take the place of breastmilk in all situations. Now the current Nestle company may have different intentions.

· Registered
2,911 Posts
here's some good articles on the topic :

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/biolib/...oduction2.html

jackson'smama, wet nursing was common in the past as a profession and I'd guess was also available from other lactating relatives if the mother died.

Last century in rural Tasmania, Australia (only settled by the British in about 1803), my great great grandfather had 18 children. In the 1860s the first wife died (haemmorage) in childbirth with her 9th baby. He then married again and had another 9 children... But baby No. 9 survived and was very healthy, lived to a good old age. Someone must have nursed her. At the rate they were having children, they must have been continually lactating. I can't imagine they had access to anything other than lactating relatives and wet nurses in that neck of the woods at that time.

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was an interesting book. I will try to pick up that book. Milk, Money, and Madness. I have heard about this book a lot and would like to read it.

Thank you for answering my questions. I had no idea that scientists were trying to find a breast milk substitute so early. My Great-Grandmother on my mother's side was a wet nurse and mid wife in the early 1900's. My mother explained to me that wet nurses were essential at that time because there was no formula. Perhaps, the use of formula was not known about and so wide spread? Or maybe some mother's just didn't trust it?

· Registered
490 Posts
I have heard older people talk about feeding babies fresh (whole) cow's milk or evaporated milk when they couldn't nurse (for whatever reason). Compared to those two alternatives, formula is a miracle compound. Still nothing close to human milk, and believe me I'm not an ABM advocate by any means, but I think maybe formula makers saw people using other milk products for babies and decided to improve upon them and make a good profit doing so.

I think the ABM companies are evil in many of their practices, but the idea of not nursing one's one child goes back long before the 1800s. A good share of women who could afford wet nurses, even when they didn't *need* their services, would send their babies away until they were weaned. So if you're not going to nurse your baby anyway, and you don't know about fat absorbtion, DHA, and immunological benefits, formula sounds as good as anything else.

· Registered
10,210 Posts
Okay I didn't read all the other posts so forgive me if I repeat someone but..
I remember that it was invented because someone's wife died during childbirth and their infant son rejected all kinds of nourishment. The baby was into FTT and the father after much trying finally found something that would sustain his infant. he thrived on the "formula" and thus formula was invented. Now if I am not mistaken it was Mead Johnson. Sorry I am not good at research this is just my general recollection.

· Registered
56 Posts
Something else I have heard a friend of the family talk about (she is in her early 50's now) is how in the 70's (and probably some decades before that) that it was seen as the more elite thing to do -- use formula that is. She talks of how she "HAD" to nurse because she didn't have the money for formula. It is clear from her observations that the formula companies had already very well done their 'brainwashing'

This brainwashing is very very slowly being 'unlearned' but it is going to take a revolution in our society/world, no doubt.

Possibly even the health crisis that we are now plagued with will begin to open many more eyes. Yes, we are living longer lives in general, but the quality of life is no where near what it could be (cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, allergies of all kinds, depression, anxiety, alzheimers, dimensia, Fibromyalgia, chrones disease, Irritable bowel syndrom, and on and on. And yet as evidenced by so many older folks who model the amazing ability and beauty of the human body when well fed and cared for on all fronts, it is obvious that these degenerative conditions are not a GIVEN as we approach middle and old age.

Until we begin to move beyond our "trying to get happy" material-ized society, it seems that formula will continue to keep a strong foothold. Until woman (and men) place a greater priority on the parent/child bonding and nurturing relationship and begin to see that our greatest happiness and fulfillment will come through relationship, self-understanding, and service (at the most mundane and HIGHEST levels possible.)

It is certain that breast feeding is the bedrock of this lifelong journey to loving ourselves fully.

· Registered
3,911 Posts
Ahhh, now lets not blame men when we must look also at the popularity of the bottle of formula at the time of industry and it's explosion into the world of convenience (About 1940 i think)and along with that incredible wave came womens rights and their evergrowing desire to step into men's world of work and Pay.---Hey, some days it makes perfect sense after the mundane and unglamorous job of home-makeing that women so embraced feminisim and the pay-check world.

the idea of convenience, freedom and money is certainly a sweet temptation. put that together with the aforementioned stigma that bfing had in some areas of having to do with the poor and then theres the centuries of royal blood not being tainted by bfing( i think thats correct) and the use of wet-nurses. INTERESTING huh????????
and really when I think about it all it comes down to this:::: WOMEN AND THEIR GODDESS/GOD GIVEN POWERS AND BEAUTY NOT BEING ACKNOWLEDGED AND HELD COMMENDABLE
tHAT IS ALL sHE wROTE
lAURA

· Registered
11,919 Posts
The 50's and early 60's weren't exactly a time of great feminism. I think it's the opposite. I think it was the sexism of the 50's and early 60's that made formula so popular. In WWII, women ran the factories (and the homes) more efficiently than men, and I think this scared the hell out of the men. I think men were scared of female power and abilities. After the war, women were put "in their place." Women were expected to be the pretty little wife with the little waist and the little dress and the little high heels and the little hair-do and the make-up, and putter around in the kitchen, and serve their husband sexually. The female body was considered the husband's property. Birth was taken over by men. Female power was taken away. Women were taken to hospitals, put on their backs, knocked unconscious, and their babies were removed. Breastfeeding power was also taken away. No, you can't nourish your child properly. Leave that to the men. Breasts are sex toys for your husband, anyway. Men also wanted women to be tied down by having baby after baby in quick succession with no break in between. I think the men knew that breastfeeding is a natural contraceptive allowing natural child spacing.

OK, that's MY theory.

· Registered
441 Posts
Hey,
changing back to the original subject,
why does everyone think cow's milk is so bad?
Remember, cows have changed as we have bred them for the factories we call "farms".

{she sings} The old black cow, she ain't what she used to be, many long years ago! { }

The breeds people raised were Jerseys and Guernseys. Even Holsteins gave less milk of better quality. They would have been the best cows of a healthy herd raised on food that's natural to them.
For more nutrition, foods can be added to the milk. It seems to me perfectly natural to trust mixtures of foods such as egg-yolk. You would look for more of these foods when you need a supplement. It's odd that we've come to distrust these in favor of safe...reliable?...cans of things.

· Registered
3,911 Posts
Devrock
hen I mis-wrote that" Along with that came feminism "I meant that when feminism did come round women found bottles more convenent and less-constricting and so it was their CHOICE to continue what "man" may have begun in the manufacture of formula and de-valuing of women's functions and gifts. when I read "Politics of breastfeeding" this is what stood out to me.---not that it was all Mans fault but that as a matter of course and the process of industry and modernization both at home and in the work place formula became agreeable to women.
you definately have good points. I just want to clarify what my take on formulas history was.
Laura

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.