Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got some new wool jersey covers from loveybums and they said to lanolize first, so I did, and they leak! Ekk! I have a very absorbant diaper underneither, but the moment moisture touches the cover it leaks. It starts in front where my little boy pees first.

So did I lanolize wrong? Is this a common problem with wool? I disolved a pea size amount of lanisinoh in a bit of water, then added a small amount of wool wash, then filled the sink with tepid water, soaked for 15 minutes, wrapped in a towel to get the water out, then hung to dry. I was having problems getting the lanolin to disolved. I kept having clumping problems. So I redid it about 4 times, the whole process. I was still having clumping problems. Where did I go wrong? I'm so frustrated! When I put the cover in the water is it okay to swirl it around to get it wet, or was this causing them to not lanolize? Any tips to get the lanolin to disolve better? I have some spray lanoline that I tried too but it didn't help. If I try to relanozie better again do I need to strip off the old lanolin that failed to work right?

Please help, did I mention how frustrated I am!

Ashley

·
Registered
961 Posts
How old is your son? I'm wondering if he is peeing hard enough that it is just going through the cover. I mean with enough force, it's just going to come out, yk? Especially because you said that it is getting wet where he pees, in the front. You may need a heavier weight wool, maybe something knit instead of the jersey. Jersey is fairly thin.

As for lanolizing, usually what I do is put a little water, a dab of lanolin (like 1/2" from the lansinoh tube) and some baby wash or wool wash in a container and pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Take it out and shake really hard to get everything good and mixed and then add that mixture to a bowl of warm water and put your woolies in that bowl to soak. Make sense?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, there are 8 layers of hemp between him and the cover, so I'm not sure it's a force. He is 8 months old.

I read about that microwave tip on another site, I think I will try it.

keep the input coming!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I've used the same method of lanolizing as the pp. I think the key is to make sure the lanolin is melted all the way and thoroughly mixed before you add the wool. Otherwise it may grab onto parts of the wool but not be distributed evenly, which would leave big sections unlanolized. Jersey is the trimmest and least bulletproof, but I don't think it should leak right through like that either especially if you've got a nice absorbent diaper underneath.

Oh, and I really like using Naturally Luxe WOW wool wash. It's got a high enough lanolin concentration that I don't have to lanolize as a separate step. No messing with getting lanolin to dissolve, plus the WOW smells yummy!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, yes I think it's not fully lanolized. Another question. Does the cover have to be completely dry before I lanolize. What about crepe jersery covers, would those work better. I'm a big fan of water proof and low bulk, why can' t I have it all?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Are you talking about the cover being dry if you use the spray lanolin or if you relanolize with Lansinoh? I don't know how to use the spray stuff, but with Lansinoh it won't matter if it's dry or not.

The crepes are probably my favorite. They're a little more bulky than the Jersey but still very trim fitting and nighttime worthy over a good diaper. It is kind of like getting the best of both worlds, imo.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the fast reply, canyoutell I'm desperate?

I was talking about with Lansinoh, so that's good to know. I do have 2 crepe covers that I have yet to lanolize, I was wating to see if the jersery would work first before making them unreturnable. They really are still pretty trim and it's good to know they are night worthy.

Thanks again!

Ashley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.