Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Maybe Prince Charles should visit France and tell them how to treat Moslems instead of coming here and telling us?

France was the nation that turned the Moors away at the Battle of Tours hundreds of years ago.

France is also the nation that is trying to keep their own language pure of any foreign words. They probably feel the same way about their nation and culture.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
It's just pathetic that this rioting has been going on for 8 days and this is the first the US media has reported it. It started when 2 muslim youth were shot by police. Riots happened in that suburb. There has been a recent change in France in police tactics that are much harsher than they've been in the past a la Giulliani NYC. The suburbs that these riots are happening in are sort of "forgotten" suburbs filled with poverty.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I heard the riots started when 2 muslim youths were electrocuted while hiding in a utility shed, having been chased there by the police.

It's the ghetto thing. Any sane human locked up without hope, resources, or any sense of participation or contol over their life is going to do anything, something, to get free of that. What the French can do about it... dunno.

Yeah, police brutality is a norm in France, or at least it was when I lived there back in the middle 1980's. I was a witness to a bus breakin in Nice. The cops came, took the descriptions from me and the girl I was with (they messed up an awesome date with her, arg). Within 20 minutes they rolled up, closed the curtains in the windows, asked us to ID the suspects. They grabbed two young males out of the back of a cramped station wagon, made them kneel facing the sidewalk, we ID'd them (and at that point I felt guilty about recognizing them). The two guys began to whimper and beg. The cops then invited the bus driver who lived next door out into the street, handed him a baton and turned their backs while he had a few minutes to beat the crap out of them. When he left the cops took over for at least five more minutes then threw them unconscious back into the wagon and left. We were thanked, the date was over (she thought I was too soft a Yank for feeling bad about what we'd just been a part of) and I puked all the rest of the night. I called the American embassy the next morning traumatized and they laughed at me, saying, "That's the French. Obey their laws while you're here, okay?" Yeah, no problem. It makes me wonder, if that's still the norm for police conduct, no wonder the rioting is still going on.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
From my understanding, the electrocution of the two boys was the impetus for the riots, but their cause is much deeper than police brutality. Rampant unemployment (in many neighborhoods 50%), marginalization, poverty, discrimination. As Dov points out, much of the immigrant population in France lives in ghettoes. Employers recognize these addresses and refuse to hire them. I'll look for some links.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I had heard that a month ago a new person was placed as head of the police department, and he decided they were going to "crack down" on crime in some of the suburbs, which had previously be neglected due to the amount of crime and lawlessness of the area. This lead up to the unfortunate death and roit incidence... although some would definately say it has to do with race relations in general and this was just a catalyst.
http://www.npr.org/search.php?text=p...how_long_ago=0

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4988056
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4988140
http://www.cbc.ca/insite/AS_IT_HAPPE...2005/11/3.html

To the op, what does the article you posted have to do with this situation?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The rioting is massive and has spread to other cities all over France. Last Saturday night alone nearly 1300 cars were set alight!! Black youths from poor areas are playing cat and mouse with the French police.

Interesting experience you had in France Dov. In New Zealand we are hearing not so much either, but on the radio an NZ journalist who lives in France was saying he felt it was because of marginalisation of minorities, and the highly centralised nature of French Govt. and law agencies. Local leadership in local areas is not allowed, and their are next to nil black or moslem representatives in the Govt.

Also the French police like to swagger around and are well known to use brutality almost routinely. No doubt there is institutionalised racism going on.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
"MMM...how unusual that the French are being accused of being rude to foreigners..." - Jay Leno

...but then these are French citizens born there....the unrest is moving through Europe to Belgium, Germany, and Netherlands.

I guess Jacques Cherac is through...

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Another good analysis

http://www.hotcoals.org/ The Top Article called "Paris Burning" by Naima Boutedja.

I find it interesting and disturbing, though not surprising, that the American media has managed to once again frame this as a Muslim issue, when the religion of these people means very little. The problem is French racism, exploitation and the nasty legacy of colonialism that continues to haunt colonial powers and the poeple they've exploited.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahdokht
I find it interesting and disturbing, though not surprising, that the American media has managed to once again frame this as a Muslim issue, when the religion of these people means very little. The problem is French racism, exploitation and the nasty legacy of colonialism that continues to haunt colonial powers and the poeple they've exploited.
I totally agree! I've seen little to no evidence that those rioting are acting out of misguided religious motivations. I hope France will do some serious soul-searching about how their treating French Muslims of African and Arabic descent, but with open racists like Sarkozy running the show, it doesn't look likely.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.