Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What made you all aware that circumcision is an insane cultural practice? For me, I watched a show on TLC called Strange Sex when I was 18, and on the episode I watched Ron Low was on it and he was talking about foreskin restoration. Being an American female, the thought of circumcision never crossed my mind, but once I found out that men were trying to fix their irreversible procedures I wanted to learn more about why we did it. The more I learned, the more appalled I became. Now I'm the mother of a perfect intact boy. Why are you an intactivist?

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are far more concerns on whether one is circumcised or not. It is the parent's choice unfortunately for the child. Inform them if you must.

·
Registered
978 Posts
There are far more concerns on whether one is circumcised or not. It is the parent's choice unfortunately for the child. Inform them if you must.
This is one choice that a parent should NOT have. They are not the one's who have to live with the consequences. Circumcision does not cure anything. It does not fix anything. It does not enhance the victim's life in any way. In fact there are lifelong physiological and psychological issues that result from the amputation of a foreskin. Not the least of which is the loss of 75% of the penile nerves.

·
Registered
978 Posts
What made you all aware that circumcision is an insane cultural practice?
Congratulations on leaving your son whole.

I am a guy who was circumcised as a infant. It has always been an huge issue for me - well, since the age of six when I realized what had been done to me. I was born before the advent of the internet, so my parents had no access to information except whatever BS they heard from family and doctors, so I can't really blame them, but I do blame a money hungry medical system. Having said that, I do wish my parents had exercised a bit more common sense and realized that nature does not make mistakes.

It feels like I was subjected to such a personal violation, and I find participating on these boards, helping prospective parents to find the information that they need to keep their sons whole, to be quite therapeutic.

Like you , I find the notion of performing cosmetic surgery on the genitalia of a brand new baby boy to be nothing short of bizarre. I find it amazing that so many North American parents don't see it that way too. Do they think their son was born defective and needs immediate surgery to fix him??

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
What made me an intactivist? I grew up as a boy in America, thats what made me an intactivist. Every single man should feel the same kind of shame and anger at their culture, about if not what was directly done to them, or other males they know, but of how their cultures devalues the natural male form, diminishes the basic human rights over the only thing we ever truly own, that we only have one of- our body.

How ANYONE can think they have the right to take that from another human, much less a child while maintaining ownership over their own, enrages me like nothing else.

To be male is to be an intactivist. The difference is those who are still submerged in the culture that cut them, or those around them. It took years to fully separate that culture from myself. But every man in America has that moment when they are a boy, and they learn that part of their body was cut off for no reason. There is always a sense of confusion, betrayal, and a bit of anger there. Its a key moment because every boy makes a choice to either ignore that pain and become strongly in support of infant circ, or to embrace it and understand what it all meant (however tentatively). If I had to mark a moment, that was when I first started recognizing what I had lost, but also what my culture didn't value. I was ready to move through the pain that I have to face.

·
Registered
962 Posts
26 years ago I opened a parenting magazine in a newsagent to a story about should or should you not circumcise your son and went O_O I read in abject horror that taking up knives to baby boys penises was a common practice in the US and was horrified since I thought it was only Jews that did that to boys and places like Iraqi that did so to girls. The US was supposed to be a modern country. Learning that the US mutilates boys was a shocker. No one has the right to surgically alter a child's body just because they are a parent, not unless that child needs urgent medical attention. No doubt most people in the US think of it as normal, to those of us outside the US we think its insane and that Americans who do so are brain washed.

Peachwater, no parent should have the right to cut a childs body for no medical need. They do not own the child, the child owns his own body. If parents have that right over son's they should logically also have that right over daughters; do you agree with female circumcision of the mild form? Why or why not?

·
Registered
24,726 Posts
I was 9 and 14 yrs old when my brothers were born and my mom told me that Jewish families cut off that part of the baby boy on the 8th day.

My dad and brothers are intact.

When I began to baby sit at age 13 for $, I noticed that every single baby boy I changed diapers on was circumcised and they were not Jewish. That is when I realized the US culture had a problem with foreskins. Years later, Dr Mendelsohn decried the use of routine circumcision on little boys in the US. I did more research and learned more about the practice.

Reactions: philomom

·
Registered
220 Posts
I grew up with a very pro circ family. I remember hearing things all through my childhood like "ew, I can't believe they didn't circ their son" or "it's just a flap of skin that gets infected" and "I was so sad to send T (my little brother) to have it done, I couldn't watch." Which I always thought was strange if you couldn't watch because it was so terrible why do it. It must just be very important. I never came in contact with an intact penis until my cousin and my very best friend, although 8 years older than me told me they weren't planning on circ-ing their baby, because his dad wasn't and it's really not necessary. Huh I thought. Well my aunts and mom made fun of her and talked about how terrible not too even saying up until he was 3 years old that they needed to hurry up and do it. Well having grown up hearing how terribly ugly uncut penises are I was a little afraid of what I would find the first time I changed his diaper. But go figure it wasn't really ugly at all, it was just a baby penis. Lol that's when I started questioning it. I live in Northern California and have changed quite a few diapers through my babysitting and nanny days and learned so much from all the boy moms. (Majority are intact here) and I have no idea why you would cut a boy now. It's more work, more risk, and only 20% or something are here so it's not to fit in. When my dd was born my mom wanted me to "fix" her ears because they stick out. I was so offended when she kept suggesting this, she's perfect and I love her ears. The only way to get her to drop it was to tell her if she hates them when she's 18 I'll pay for the surgery myself and support her decision 100%. I know if this baby is a boy we will have the same argument again and it will be the same offer to my son, if you hate your natural parts I will pay to fix it when your 18. But I'm pretty sure that my kids will be happy I left them alone! Lol the bottom line is it's not my decision because they aren't my ears and it's not my penis and changing your child's appearance to make them "prettier" is just WRONG.

·
Registered
24,726 Posts
Don't allow her to make comments around your son, or even to change his nappy/diaper. This is how some intact males in the US grow up hating that they are intact from toxic people around them. Teach him the functions of the foreskin and to value what he has.
Most men in America learn to hate their intact penis in gym class. It is reinforced by peers and school officials doing nothing about the taunting.

I learned this from my brothers who are intact and was my Father.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have heard vastly different stories on that, from your side which says taunting is common to other intact American guys I know who said they never got teased and it would have been the other guys who got teased for taking so much interest in their junk, so I don't think anything is guaranteed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oh she definitely won't be changing diapers. She's never changed my dd who is now potty trained. She lives 2 states away and only visits about 4 days total a year. Usually spread out. Lol also we cloth diaper and I doubt she would even want to mess with that. Ha and were 99.9% going to homeschool so no locker worries either. My main concern is her questioning my child's appearance while I'm on my new momma high. It's pretty much going to happen, but I want to sound like the educated one when I speak my peace. But we live and are closer to dh side of the family who are pretty much all for natural boys except my SILs who feel like it is parents decision. I think my mil is the only one who ever changed dd once except dh. I would be even more protective with a boy, just in case.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Most men in America learn to hate their intact penis in gym class. It is reinforced by peers and school officials doing nothing about the taunting.

Were your brothers and father teased about their intact status?

I find the whole concept of that kind of teasing weird. As you have read many times, I spent all 12 years of grade school in boys boarding schools with totally open communal shower room and dorms - everyone saw everyone's junk many times a day. I never once witnessed any teasing based on circumcision status. This makes me wonder if the reason it happens in the U.S. isn't because of exposure to negative and disparaging comments made by adults.

·
Registered
24,726 Posts
Sorry, but it is true. My brothers were teased and called anteaters by their classmates. My mother had many conferences with the administration about it. Not everyone goes to a progressive boarding school for 12 yrs as you did.

My Father and his brothers grew up on a farm in the pre-Depression era and were not subjected to this indignity.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

That's generalizing one experience to "most men". I'm not sure that can be applied that way on this subject. It is also now over 50% who remain intact (the stats when my teenager was born was 40%).

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sorry, but it is true. My brothers were teased and called anteaters by their classmates. My mother had many conferences with the administration about it. Not everyone goes to a progressive boarding school for 12 yrs as you did.

My Father and his brothers grew up on a farm in the pre-Depression era and were not subjected to this indignity.
It may have been true for them perhaps due to where they lived, but it is not true for all, and I don't think saying most is true either. The two guys I know did not go to some boarding school. Anyway this is 10-20 years ago and things have changed, these days some states are as low as 20% so intact would be the norm there.

·
Registered
24,726 Posts
My son is 20 and intact. He has had zero issues with being whole.
Good for him.

I am NOT generalizing, I am merely sharing my own experience.

My brothers are 53 and 48 now. Men this age made decisions for their sons in the past 10-20 years. I babysat most of their contemporaries in the 60-70s and they were all circumcised. Sorry if my experience is too old for your stats, but it is my experience nonetheless. Do not de-legitimize my reality. The title of this post is Why Are You Intactivist, and I am sharing mine.

My brothers were in jr hi and sr hi school in the suburbs in the 70-80s.

These are the ages of fathers now making decisions for their sons.

My own nephews and grandsons are intact.

The influx of immigrants in the last 30 yrs may have shifted the numbers of intact men.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts