Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mom is coming to visit. Yesterday was her birthday and she didn't celebrate, so I'm making her healthy cupcakes (she's on a diet and I'm a vegan and don't eat processed food anyway). So I thought I would make vegan carrot cake muffins with fake cream cheese frosting.

Now I knew that Tofutti "Better than Cream Cheese" is not the healthiest food in the world, but I thought it would be somewhat natural. I made the frosting (the tofutti, some earth balance, vanilla and maple syrup) and MAN is it good! Then I made the mistake of looking at the label.

2nd ingredient: partially hydrogenated soybean oil!!! Yuck! What a let down! Did they have to use this crap?

Anyway, I just had to vent my disappointment and ask if anyone knows how to make a vegan "cream cheese" taste-alike that doesn't have nasty stuff in it. Tasting the tofutti reminded me how much I miss cream cheese.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I heard a lot of great things about tofutti sour cream for DH who loves it but can't eat dairy. I was so disappointed when I read the label. We didn't even bother to try it.

We use earth balance shortening in baking and it works real well, it makes a GREAT pie crust.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I thought Tofutti had taken out the hydrogenated oils.
Here (in California) the Better Than Cream Cheese has is hydrogenated-oil-free (comes in a yellow tub).

I have heard that the Follow Your Heart folks (who make fantastic, healthy vegan cheeses) are coming out with cream cheese and sour cream soon...maybe those will be better (www.imearthkind.com).

There's also a rice-based vegan cream cheese (comes in a purple tub with white lettering--can't remember the brand name). I think it's kinda icky, but some folks I know love it.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream in my fridge right now and it says it has no hydrogenated oils. Maybe that was a different brand?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts