Mothering Forum banner

Why did you deliver early? (if you did) private poll.

• Pre-term labor

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Pre-E/HELLP

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Other (explain if you want to :) )

Votes: 33 37.9%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
First PTL 35 weeks
Second PTL 35 weeks
Third PTL cervical shortening and funneling at 22 weeks followed by PROM x2 (29 weeks healed over, then 31)
Fourth cervical shortening and funneling at 24 weeks PTL, but on progesterone suppository and held til 36 weeks.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops, I might have goofed up my poll. Sorry, if it seemed exclusive.

I always thought PROM was the same as/ led to, Pre-term labor. Am I wrong?
Should I change the poll to include PROM?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crissei
Oops, I might have goofed up my poll. Sorry, if it seemed exclusive.

I always thought PROM was the same as/ led to, Pre-term labor. Am I wrong?
Should I change the poll to include PROM?
No, it doesn't necessarily lead to PTL. It can happen very early on and the woman can still end up FT in some cases. In my case they didn't like the looks of A's cordflow so pressured me into a section, but I wasn't really in labor.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
DD#1 was born at 32 weeks because of ptl caused by my placenta being infected.
DD#2 was born at 33 weeks. I begin having contractions at 19 weeks and my cervix was shortening quicker then it should. She was born when we evacuated New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina. We evacuated Sat and she was born Sunday morning. Very fast labor and delivery. They said the change of barometric pressure due to the storm would have been enough to cause me to go into labor early even if I had not had a history of preterm labor so we don't really know with this one.

Pam

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaPam
DD#1 was born at 32 weeks because of ptl caused by my placenta being infected.
DD#2 was born at 33 weeks. I begin having contractions at 19 weeks and my cervix was shortening quicker then it should. She was born when we evacuated New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina. We evacuated Sat and she was born Sunday morning. Very fast labor and delivery. They said the change of barometric pressure due to the storm would have been enough to cause me to go into labor early even if I had not had a history of preterm labor so we don't really know with this one.

Pam
My son was born 1/4/05 during the aftermath of the South-East Asian Tsunami. I was half a world away but, I saw those images and stories of horror again and again through the media. They were deeply affecting me, I remember sobbing in grief for all of those lost lives. I couldn't stop thinking about all the women who may have been pregnant (like me) or the ones that had small children that they were trying to save. I have never experienced that level of empathy before. It hit me so hard, I still don't understand it.
It sounds crazy to some people but, I don't think it's a coinsidence that I developed Pre-E at that time.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Both of mine were PROM, but with my first it was uncomplicated. My second one I was contracting a lot from 25 weeks on, but at 32.5 weeks I got ill with a stomach bug and was vomiting and contracting every 3 minutes. I got a ton of complications, including pulmonary edema (fluid filled lungs) and when they gave me a dieuretic and I got up for the 1,000th time to pee, I got back in bed and my water broke. She was born 5 hours later.

Interestingly enough, my first was born November 4th. I vividly remember sitting in the lab for my 3 hour glucose test (having failed the 1 hour) on Sept 11, 2001. I was under extreme stress at the time too because my boss was clearly about to fire (which she did, my first day back from maternity leave when I had just left my 7 week old, 3 week adjusted age baby for the first time
: ) I am sure the stress and depression of what was going on around me contributed to my PTL>

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
ptl at 31 wks with first, due to polyhydramanios/or incompetent cervix (they weren't positive on what caused it)

2nd ptl at 24 wks, most likely due to a IC. Actually don't think I could really call it ptl since I wasn't in "labor" no contractions and all. My cervix was probably so weak the bag of water just slowly pushed the cervix opened.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had cervical shortening and funneling and delivered at 32w3d. The reason listed for my twins delivery on their hospital charts was advanced cervical effacement. I was fully dialated but I hardly had any contractions.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My first was PTL at 33 weeks and 3 days after 11 weeks on bedrest.
My second was IC at 23 weeks.
My third was induced early for a very large baby and being dilated to 5 cm for 3 weeks without anything happening. There was a concern I would go into labor and not have enough time to get to the hospital.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
PPROM at 29 weeks, which led to PTL 10 hours later. But alot of PPROMs don't involve labor. I actually wonder if I was just having PTL that started out as PPROM (like some full term normal births start with water breaking and then several hours later, the contractions start). Who knows.

We don't know the cause of the PPROM. Usually it's infection, but they couldn't find any. And it was a bit late to be IC, although that's technically still a possibility. IC usually results in an earlier PPROM than 29 weeks.

The day before my PPROM, I felt *excessive* movement, which I believe to have been DS getting into position to come out. Thankfully, he was positioned perfectly, so I got a natural vaginal birth.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
PROM here, unknown causes. No warning, no PTL, not even a Braxton-Hicks contraction. No Pre-E. Just happened.

ETA: You might want to amend the poll to include PROM since it seems to be a common response here.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Pre-E. I had been fighting a cold all week and am convinced if not for that, I could have made it further with just some bedrest. The nurse made a mistake and drew my blood a second time so the doc reran the tests to see if the mag sul was helping and it wasn't and my platelets were increasing.

·
Registered
707 Posts
officially, placental abruption, though while i was hospitalized pre-birth for bleeding, no source could be found on the u/s. after bleeding for several weeks, i went into labor, which was stopped with mag sulfate long enough for the steroids to take effect. i went back into labor the night after they stopped the mag sulfate and ds was born at noon the next day. the ob claimed he could see on the placenta where it had been bleeding and tried to point it out to me, but i couldn't tell. so according to me, the bleeding was unexplained and caused the ptl. (i voted "other", btw)

·
Registered
882 Posts
My daughter Emma was born at 27 weeks 2 days. I had started dilating just a tad at 23 weeks so I went on bedrest. On february 17th after 3 weeks of bedrest my husband and I went to dinner. I hadn't been feeling good. Hadn't felt the baby much etc. Our dinner came and I got sick. We headed to the hospital and they rolled their eyes at me. The did a fetal fibronectin and it came back positive. The contractions weren't showing on the monito but i felt them. The got one steroid shot in me and she was born the next day by emergency c-section. They found out a few days later after sending of my placenta and a swab from my uterus that I had an infection at the top of my uterus.
:

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I delivered early because the dr.s determined that Baby A was no longer growing and thus was induced - or as I've been calling it - evicted.

It's rather ironic, because I have had pre-term labor with all of my kids - starting at 28 wks, but manage to make it to full term - with my last baby before the twins, I went overdue by TWO weeks (adn walked around dilated to 5cm for 2 wks). So, I had just been to the dr. and she had said to me that maybe I would make it to term, and then I went for the ultrasound and non-stress (hah!) tests which Baby A flunked. They wisked me straight down to L&D.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts