Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
people made jokes about my "iron cervix" and ds having such a nice home he didn't want to come out, but obviously neither of those is true.

it took a round of cervadil and 5 days of pitocin before ds was born. even after my water broke (on it's own) it was still more than 24 hours before i had any contractions. the day before he was born an ultrasound showed low amniotic fluid and after he was born i heard my dr say to the nurse, "wow ~ the placenta was REALLY starting to deteriorate!"

all this has me scared that i won't ever go into labour naturally because i never want to be induced again (i really feel like i was conned into it). does anyone know why this might have happened? i'm 100% certain that ds was born at 42 weeks gestation, so it's not like we were trying to evict a preemie or anything.

thanks

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Maybe he would've been a 43 weeker. Sounds like he just wasn't ready. My best friend was born at 44 weeks, healthy and fine. Were you getting NST and ultrasounds there at the end? Was everything fine? Baby healthy, etc.? Maybe you are just a slow cooker! I think it is extremely, extremely rare that you wouldn't ever go into labor on your own.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Who knows...I went 43 weeks with DS2 & no signs of labor. They know when they're ready...bad things can happen when you make them come out too early. I was in labor 4 days & when they turned the pit. off it stopped immediatly. He wasn't ready. A lesson learned too late.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Did you perhaps have an unresolved issue/fear surrounding the birth? The mind can do powerful things including impededing the labor and birth process. It's hard to have an induction ( I had one at 41 weeks like a dummy, with no cervical change) because it makes you doubt your body and it's abilties. Just because you had a long hard induction with your first does not mean that you won't go into labor naturally with subsequent pregnacies. I'm proof of that, as are many other women here.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have a sil who says, "My body just doesn't go into labor." Historically, I am not aware of any woman who NEVER went into balr. In fact, inductions are really only something we have seen in the last 30 years? And even then, they were crude at best in the beginning.

If your body has the time it needs, it will go into labor.

P.S. My first was an induction at 40 wks, 4 days, because the doctor convinced me I would not go into labor on my own. I did two other times with my next two babies.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade2561 View Post
Did you perhaps have an unresolved issue/fear surrounding the birth? The mind can do powerful things including impededing the labor and birth process.
YES!!!!! That was me, I willed it, purposly, to stop...I SO, SO freakin' scared!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
to you. I don't think your body is defective. I think you would have gone into labor on your own and given a supportive environment next time will go on your own (if you choose a next time).

One of the things that concerns me is the placenta. Placentas usually don't deteriorate with a healthy woman and healthy diet. What else was going on with your health? Your diet? Where you taking prescribed prenatal pills (not so good for the placenta) or food based health food store prenatals? And, did you take any Polly Jane Labor kind of herbs?

I think the emotional questions are really really important, too.

Just make sure you're truly ready to do the labor of examining labor. Usually it takes me a full year until I'm really open to explore cause/effects. But, you may be different than me.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
My dd came at 42 weeks. Which of course is not as long as your child.... but what I found was going on is that she was positioned " wrong" her head was not applying correct pressure on my cervix to signal my body to go into labor.
My mw suggested that I get on hands and knees and rock that way to get her to float up and then back down into the appropriate position.

I did not do this for DAYS after it was suggested.... I was scared I think.

Finally the day she was born I did- and I sure did go into labor.
I attribute it to this and also to the fact that I was more scared to NOT go into labor then to actually GO into labor.

Your body is not defective. I would look into birthing with a mw at home for your next birth- one that is more knowledgeable about the womans own body to go into labor. My mw was very calm about me going over my dates and that was helpful to me to keep me calm also!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hi Stacey, I had a similar experience to yours. I went 18 days past my due date with my first. At that time, baby was still very high, I was completely closed and not effaced at all. I was ok with going over and my dr was too. I was doing NSTs every few days and they were all fine but my fluid was dropping every time and then it got "too low" and had some problems with the last NST so I went for the induction at that time. I have no idea how much longer I would have gone. It took a lot to make the induction successful and when I finally gave birth it was very clear that ds was post dates.

A couple things to consider. Despite what others tell you, your body actually *could* be "broken". Meaning, there could be something wrong with you that is causing your body to carry a baby beyond what is safe. This is highly unlikely though. A thyroid problem is something that can cause this to happen. Some women do stay pregnant forever, or at least, their body doesn't go into labor until it is too late and the baby dies. This is very rare, but it does happen.

The good news is, most likely there is nothing wrong with you and your baby just cooks a little longer than the average. There could have been something mental going on that prevented you from going into labor, but there probably wasn't. I know for myself, I was not scared of birth or having a baby at all. I was blissfully naive, lol. The only thing I could consider is that I was maybe too excited which stirred up some nerves.

Hopefully I can give you some hope by telling you about my 2nd birth. I once again went past my due date, but this time I was determined to avoid induction. This time I did have some fears, I was worried that my body was broken and just would never go into labor on its own. But, it did. When I was 42 weeks I went into labor on my own and had a beatiful NCB that was a world away from the induced medical birth I had with my first. I think my body just carries a little longer than the norm and that is ok. You are not alone!

~Erin

·
Registered
945 Posts
I agree with the other's.. Maybe he was a 43 weeker? 44 weeker? I have the same problem.. I have 3 children, all born at 42 weeks or a few days after by induction. This one however, is a homebirth and I'm going until the baby is ready!!!! So, I'm taking bets now.. LOL I say 44 weeks. LOL!

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I asked this question of myself, too. I had my water break on my due date, and then--nothing. Zilch!

The one thing I know is that adrenalin will shut down contractions. So fear or stress can stop labor. The worst part for me was, as labor didn't start, I got more and more scared! So it was kind of self-reinforcing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
ya know....i just had an acupuncture appt (before i went into labor) and i was stressed about being overdue...and she mentioned that when the placenta begins to deteriorate that would be a signal for the baby to come out

makes sense eh? since we know babies start labor...

also try acupuncture next time...she said shes never seen it not work when the baby was ready and all.....

good vibes to you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts