Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have NEVER understood this so I thought I would put this out there to see if someone could help me understand. I got "The Whole Parenting Guide" at the library and was REALLY disappointed by the nutritional advice it gives (which to be fair is really similar to what the mainstream health organizations say). I just don't get it. Someone explain to me why 2 years is the magical time when fat goes from being vital to good health to a heart attack waiting to happen. :LOL This book says, "adults and kids should only eat the OCCASIONAL low or nonfat dairy product as a treat", "whole eggs should be served only ocassionally, otherwise use only the white" and throw the rest in the garbage I assume?

WHAT is it that makes a 1 yr olds needs so different than a 2 yr olds?! Why isn't that saturated fat and cholestoral sticking to a babies arteries but it does a toddlers?? Is there any reason for this or are they just pulling a number out of the air and running with it? Does anyone else here wonder about this? I remember sitting in awe at my pediatrician when he told me and DS to switch to skim milk, I thought why does this guy think a toddler and his 110 pound mother need to go on a diet! :LOL I know they say that infants need the fat to support rapid growth but, AREN'T TODDLERS AND OLDER KIDS STILL GROWING TOO?

It also states that " legumes don't supply complete proteins themselves, but that really shouldn't concern you--contrary to old thinking we now know the body builds complete proteins from incomplete ones by mining microorganisms and cellular material from the intenstinal tract."
Never heard of THAT before.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Quote:
It also states that " legumes don't supply complete proteins themselves, but that really shouldn't concern you--contrary to old thinking we now know the body builds complete proteins from incomplete ones by mining microorganisms and cellular material from the intenstinal tract." Never heard of THAT before.
I know this to be true. It used to be thought that you needed 2 incomplete protiens to create a complete protien, so you would eat beans and rice to form a complete protien. It is now recognized that you can eat several incomplete proteins in the course of a few days and your body will build them into complete proteins.

As for the fat. Everyone needs fat not matter how old you are.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know you don't have to eat two incomplete proteins at the same time but when they say that your body will "mine micro organisms and cellular material" to make up for an incomplete protein... I don't know that just sounds so wierd :LOL .

And I know that everyone needs fats, and that's what the book says. But it says that fats should be unrestricted for young kids and HIGHLY restricted for older ones. And I'm just wondering what evidence is out their that says that 2 yr olds don't need the same amount of fat that 1 yr olds do.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Low-fat is not the issue it is processed foods. Refined sugar and hydrogenated oils are the evil. However, these items are everywhere in main stream diets and are not seen as a problem because large corporations make money from them.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I think it's just traditional, mainstream thinking. The whole campain against obese children. Most people still believe that fat causes obesity. It's the refined sugars, too many grains/breads/pastas and lack of activity.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It sounds like poor nutritional advise to me, too. Children's brains and whole body is still growing rapidly after age 2! They definately still need plenty of fat.
And personally, I don't thing it's the saturated fat that clogs the arteries, it's the trans fat, and it's not fat that makes you obese, it's sugar and crap.
I don't even read mainstream nutritional advice anymore. Drives me nuts. :LOL

·
Registered
134 Posts
My interpretation has always been that the rate of growth slows considerably after 2 years and a 2 year old needs less calories from fat then a one year old. A 2 year old still needs fats, but they don't need it in the quantities that an infant needs them - especially since a higher (bad) fat diet also includes health risks. Since their rate of growth has slowed, it's just not as healthy for them to consume higher fat dairy products and other foods. If you look just at diary products, lower fat milk is much healthier for you then a higher fat milk so if the fats are no longer needed for rapid growth, then it's best to choose a lower fat milk. For us it's been a slow progression - whole milk till age 2, then 2 % and now at age 3 it is 1%.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Lean Kids by Sears talks about the importance of including healthy fats in kids' diets (such as those in fatty fish and nuts) and limiting unhealthy fats. I think whole eggs were on his list of foods that children (even chubby ones) should be allowed to as much as the want.

Although this book is targeted to parents of kids who are chubby, it has a ton a great info on nutrition and kids for ALL parents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts