Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so annoyed! My DS is 4 weeks old, and none of our pockets seem to work for us. I've got 7 SM FuzziBunz, 1 SM happy heinys (print - so I know they might wick), 1 SM Ellas pocket and 1 Wonderoo (which does the best so far). They ALL leak out the legs, and I don't think it's an absorbancy issue because the inserts are wet when used. But we get poop leaks, pee leaks, you name it, all out the leg holes. I've tried super stuffing them (microfiber towel OR an infant prefold AND either an MOE insert OR cottonbabies insert) or stuffing with just one item - usually either the microfiber towel, an MOE insert or a cottonbabies insert. It seems no matter what I do, they leak!

I bought all of them used. My son weighs just over 11 lbs and does not have particularly skinny legs - in fact, he's quite chubby. Could it be that they need to be stripped even though the inserts are wet, too (along with the bed, his clothes, etc?
: ) I'm just really bummed (no pun intended) because I really wanted the pockets to work, especially for overnight since they are so good at wicking the moisture away from his skin. During the day we're using Kissaluvs 0's and infant prefolds with proraps, and we never ever get leaks. But they feel so wet against his skin, I was hoping for the pockets to work at night.

Any advice mamas? Sorry if this has been covered a billion times, but the search isn't working...

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Congrats on the new baby!

They can absolutely need to be stripped, especially if they were bought used. Also if you happened to wash new hemp products with them, the oils from the hemp can transfer to the pockets and make them repel.

Try stripping the diapers and see what happens. Can't hurt...will likely help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
First of all, congratulations (and I LOVE the name Silas btw). If it's buildup, you should be able to test by pouring a tiny bit of water on the diaper. If it beads up and rolls off, then you have a buildup problem. Some people say that that's not always true (and that it can roll off without there being buildup) but it's always worked as the true test for me.

However, I would say if your inserts are wet, then it probably isn't a repelling problem. Have you tried hemp? I like to use a microfiber on top of a hemp.

The other thing is he's still little, and newborn pee/poo just cannot be contained imo. When my son was that age, everything we put him in leaked; I even tried sposies. I called it Houdini pee cause it could escape no matter what I did. So it could just be that, and if that's the case, I don't have any suggestions cause my ds just seemed to outgrow that somehow.

Good luck!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've experience the same thing with my 6 week old - something about the fleece/suedecloth inner that allows some of the pee/poo to just run right off, I think. Plus, there are no 'ruffly edges' to catch it before it runs onto their legs. I've had the best luck with fleece pockets, though, that are stretchy enough to fit around the thighs well (love my snap-ez). But my best bet has been fitteds and a cover. HTH

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sometimes with little boys, the pocket diaper will leak if their penis is not, ah, pointing directly at the fleece. That problem is exacerbated if the diaper does not fit snugly. When you change him, make sure his penis is pointing straight down. HTH. I have tried several pocket diapers over the years and the only ones that *never* leaked were the ones with gussets that I made using the Poopockets pattern.

Best wishes,
Cathy

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, for the congrats and the advice! As soon as my monsters-in-law leave, I'll investigate the repelling/build-up problem more thoroughly, since it seems it will take a wee bit more of my time/attention than I can give with a small babe and two adult children to entertain
: . They're not CD supportive, so I don't want to point out any "shortcomings" with our choice right yet! It's good to know that it might just be his age/size, and maybe he'll outgrow the leaking stage soon. And maybe we'll have to investigate the snap-ez situation...DH will LOVE that!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Another thought is maybe they are overstuffed? I noticed with Dd (and Ds) I can't use them for night b/c if I stuff them as much as needed, then the legs don't close enough and pee comes right out. I tried it last night and within minutes Dd's PJs were soaked (and trust me, I prefer that to finding out in the middle of the night!). Unless it only started repelling since the last wash, they work fine the rest of the time with one or two hemp stuffs. I put three in last night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts