Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>This is the second or third time this has happened!   Today we took our cars in to have the infant seat installed and toddler seat moved to the side. My dd is 3.5 and 28 lbs, not too tall either, dont know how tall, but im 5ft and not pregnant weight under 100 and dh is short too, so it wasnt unexpected that dd would be tiny. Anyway car seat installer made a huge deal out of us wanting to keep her backward facing. After we asked it turned out she herself has a 2 year old that she only rear faced for 1 year because it was more convenient for HER to fwd face him, so maybe it was defensiveness, i dont know, but she made dd get in the carseat so she can check out how she fits, then tried to convince us, with dd not even leaning back that she doesnt like that her knees are close to her chest.. when she leans back and takes off the huge rain boots she was wearing (which we do of course cause theyre muddy) she is perfectly comfy and anyway isnt it better that way? I mean better to be a little cramped bf than fw at 28 lbs! Our seat only bf's till 35 lbs so when she outgrows that we will switch the baby to her seat and buy oen that bf as long as possible...So  why do these supposed experts keep trying to convince me to fwd face? Am i missing something?</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
478 Posts
<p>Wow, that sounds a little off the mark to me, but we only ever went to one installer and tbh, I don't know if was certified or not.  My first is 4 and 1/2 and rearfaced to 2 and 7 months (the limits of her then seat).  My second is 18 months and we intend to take her as far as possible, 4 years if we can manage.  I def wouldn't be ffing my 28 pounder, either!  :)</p>

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>keep returning because they do a good job getting a good install, then theres the lecturing that goes along with the install about how to use the seat, expiration, safety etc.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This time we could use the latch on both seats in both cars so it was easy and now I can do it myself, or have dh do it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We have 2 cars and 2 seats so dh took the cars in when we switched dd from infant to toddler seat and he came home saying they tried to convince him that since she is passed 1 year she should be ffwd, then he took in my car and the same thing happened and now we took in both cars together to get the infant seat installed and dd moved to the side from the middle</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Well good to know, we are still doing the right thing. I had to convince the chp to install dd's seat backward facing EVEN THOUGH her knees may hit her chest in an accident....</p>

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
<p>CPSTs are not installers, we are educators.  They should be showing you how to install the seats so you can do it yourself.</p>

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
<p>Unfortunately, techs are just like pediatricians and every other professional out there. Some are better informed and on top of their game than others. Extended rear-facing is a relatively new message in the CPS Curriculum and not emphasized by some instructors. Techs who certified prior to the new curriculum got the 1 and 20 message. Some techs are forced to take the class for work and are not very interested in staying up on the most current research and information. I've met other techs who personally didn't extend rear-facing with their kids and consequently are less likely to recommend it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And just a note, Child Passenger Safety Technicians are not and should not be "installers." We really emphasize the importance of NOT being an installation service but teaching parents how to install and work with their own seats. Not to say you shouldn't go back when you have to move seats/positions/etc. but that they should be teaching you how to work with your own seat, not installing it for you.</p>

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
<p>I too doubt that they are techs, if they act as an installation service and give out horrible "advice" like that.</p>

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
<p>When I went the CPST didn't touch the seat at all. She watched and told me step by step what to do.  Also the only thing wrong with my original install was that I had the chest clip a little too low.  Still it was nice to  know the new seat was installed correctly.</p>

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
<p>I had a CPST reinstall my seats but it was only because I was wrestling crazy kids and I had all three of the seats installed correctly when I arrived. I saw them having other parents reinstall the seats themselves.</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts