Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered this and have never gotten a good scientific answer on the subject. Any ideas? I always thought it would be the opposite since a mom whose had more than one kid has a roomier pelvis (more space for the baby to drop into) and probably looser ligaments supporting the uterus, etc... but that's not actually true!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And if an FTM didn't drop until labour (like my last birth that ended up in a c/s) you would suppose what... already loosened pressure muscles from laziness?
Well... could be accurate

So, in subsequent pregnancies, the upper segment of the uterus doesn't tone and the lower segment doesn't soften? Or am I reading that wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I don't really understand how it could be either. The 'rule' doesn't apply to anyone I know IRL. Me, first babe never got below -3 but this one dropped at 29w.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
just not as dramatically-- you will see grand multips respond to pregnancy and look 20 weeks at 12 weeks- I think that the body responds or has more resting relaxitin --- or maybe just stretched out muscles...

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I have read that it is because it takes more time initially for the body to prepare, since the uterus is tighter, so it automatically knows to get a head start. I hadn't really thought about if that makes sense or not.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
the first time mom uterus is shaped like an upside down pear - the lower segment/neck is much more pronouced. after the first pregnancy, the uterus is more like an apple, with the lower segment/neck not as pronounced.

so, babies get pushed down and are somewhat "held" by the firmer lower segment of a first-time mom.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
the first time mom uterus is shaped like an upside down pear - the lower segment/neck is much more pronouced. after the first pregnancy, the uterus is more like an apple, with the lower segment/neck not as pronounced.

so, babies get pushed down and are somewhat "held" by the firmer lower segment of a first-time mom.
This makes the most sense to me actually... because the second pregnancy your uterus is already stretched and probably larger, so there's more room for the baby to float upwards right? I guess it wouldn't necessarily be the case for everyone, but I can see why that makes sense. LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.