Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and why don't MW? I had 9 1/2 lb baby at BC and my MW never even mentioned a blood sugar test. A friend just had a baby the same size (breach baby c-sect) at the hospital and they did this test and found it to be "dangreously low".

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Probably typical hospital paranoia. Isn't the blood sugar always low after babies are born? It seems like I've read something about that, most likely here.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Most mainstream practitioners will test the blood sugars of babies who are over or under a certain weight.<br><br>
With big babies, the concern is that the baby might be extra-big because it was exposed to unusually high levels of glucose during pregnancy (ie. the mother was either an undiagnosed or borderline gestational diabetic).<br><br>
Babies who are used to having high levels of glucose around produce a lot of insulin to process all the glucose. When the baby is on the outside, it no longer gets the high levels of sugar from mom's blood, but it takes a while for its insulin levels to come down. High insulin with no incoming glucose means low blood sugar...<br><br>
If mom was really healthy in the pregnancy and didn't have a borderline 1 hour sugar test, I probably wouldn't be inclined to worry too much. (Although, in my practice, the baby would get tested anyway).<br><br>
Some women just have big babies and if it was her second or third kiddo, and none of the others had problems with low blood sugar after birth, I'd probably just think that she was someone who grows big babies...<br><br>
Jessi

1 - 3 of 3 Posts