Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my baby shower this weekend and it was great. I loved seeing everyone and had a great time and just enjoyed it. But now I'm faced with a mountain of clothes almost all in 0-3 mos range of which I already had a ton of. I'll probably end up donating a bunch of it to charity. While I am super grateful that people were so generous I am just at a loss as to why everyone completely ignores registries. We had about 80 people at the shower which is an absolutely crazy amount for a baby shower but my MIL knows a ton of people and DH is an only child and this is her first grandchild so she went a little overboard to say the least. But anyway of those 80 people 7 actually bought me things I had registered for. So now I have all these clothes but no cloth diapers, no carrier, no stroller, no crib sheets, no crib, etc. We can afford to buy the other stuff so I don't mind that at all, I just feel bad because I feel like people wasted their money. Of course they'll never know they did because I acted thrilled with every baby outfit I unwrapped but I'll still feel guilty that the majority of it will be given away.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I feel for you, mama. I would say that my baby shower was 50/50 as far as people buying us stuff that we registered for. In some cases it was fine-- my sister made us a bunch of wall art for Cecilia's room; obviously we didn't register for that, but it is perfect. But yeah, in a lot of cases we got stuff that we just didn't need.

If there are tags on the 0-3 stuff you got, you should be able to do returns for store credit, at least, if that will help you! I did a bunch of that with my stuff and was able to buy the nursing pillow I wanted with the store credit.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
If there are tags on the 0-3 stuff you got, you should be able to do returns for store credit, at least, if that will help you!
I was going to say the same thing. Hopefully that works for you!

I'm lucky that after my baby showers with DD, we had almost everything we needed/wanted/registered for. We really didn't have to buy much at all, and definitely none of the "big" stuff -- crib, stroller, car seat, high chair, exersaucer, swing, etc.

But I never will quite understand why people don't buy off a registry. I know sometimes when I'm buying off a registry there are things I'd rather not buy because I don't like them, but that's really not the point -- obviously the person wants them or they wouldn't be on the registry, so I get them anyway. I think some people walk into a store and say, "Oooooh, look at how cute this is!!" (clothes) and decide to buy it -- especially if they know the sex of your baby, and I see you're having a girl. I think that plays a BIG part in it.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
DDCC

Definitely return whatever brands you can to the stores...you can even bring in a few things you're unsure of (store-wise) and just see if it will work. You'd be surprised how quickly a few outfits can add up into a worthwhile returns trip!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I figured I'd get some girl clothes because everyone loves buying them but never thought almost everyone would do that. The clothes all have tags but not for the stores they are from so returning them is going to be hard because I'll have to figure that out. Plus I live an hour from most stores and spending all day running in and out of them is not how I wanted to spend the last months of my pregnancy.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sorry, mama! I definitely know what you mean about feeling wasteful for not being able to use the things that were generously purchased for you. There are only so many 0-3 onsies that a baby can wear.

I would try to look up the brands and see if you can take some of them back. It shouldn't be that hard to find out what stores that brands come from if you look online. Some stores have very strict return policies if you don't have a receipt, but some places will take back just about anything.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I agree. Baby clothes are just about the cutest things ever made, but 4589471832 outfits aren't going to help you when you don't have a car seat
That stinks that you live so far away from the stores, too. Does your mom live nearby? I know that when we got a ton of clothes after dd was born, my mom took the ones I didn't like/need back for me. I, too, hate hate hate to waste other people's money, so I try and be v specific.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Crashing
I used to think "everyone can use clothes"! Then I ended up with so very many onesies that I still had some unused ones for second baby. Now I either buy on registry or get items I really liked and include a note saying why.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Sorry people didn't pay attention to what you needed. Even if they couldn't afford one of the more expensive items, they could have at least gotten you a gift card for the amount of the clothes to put towards what you did need. I would try to sell them on Craigslist or maybe trade them with someone else who has too much of other stuff. Maybe try selling them on MDC.

I have the problem of people sending us newborn sized stuff. My smallest baby has been 9 lbs 6 ozs so I haven't had much need for newborn sizes. My MIL sent us a newborn sized outfit when our second child was about six weeks old. Our second child was born at 9 lbs 10 ozs so it wouldn't have fit him even when he was born! I appreciate the gesture, but if she was going to spend the money, she could have bought something useful.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Don't know if this could be the reason but for my grandmother because of her age, and with a lot of my family because of location (rural Maine), registries have just become vogue. When I had my son no one in my family or circle of friends had ever heard of a registry. But that said they did ask me what I wanted
I got some clothes (a special outfit from France from a friend for example) but I also got tons of diapers, a stroller, bathtub filled with baby supplies, etc.

That does stink that you face having to return all that

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't get it either!!! I don't have registries anymore for babies. But we do something similar for kids Christmas and my husbands side of the family completely ignores me and gets my kids stuff they already have every darn time!

I can understand someone passing up registry to buy you something they consider "special" or "unique" or something that you might have forgotten and be grateful for. But people who ignore the registry to buy clothes totally confuse me.
(Well, other than really old ladies like great grandmas - I just give them credit for showing up. haha)

This baby I made an Amazon registry more for myself. My husband's Mom asked what we needed so he directed her there. (She hasn't really gotten us anything for the last two babies - she only asked because she saw a comment on facebook I made to a friend about MY mother being the only one who bought us anything when we were having a new baby). Anyway we really NEED to stuff on Amazon and she says she will buy it but in a few weeks. Well lady can you figure it out before that!? I don't want to get the cloth diaper covers two days before the child is born! I'm a bit more organized than that.
I'm rambling. I'll stop.

·
Registered
865 Posts
i'm having my shower in a couple weeks, and i'm PRAYING i get the stuff on my list. of course, i don't really have any items at all, so even clothing will be appreciated, but i really need at least a couple people to get stuff from my cloth diaper list. we will be screwed if all i get are pink onsies, and nothing else. i think mostly people will be good... we had the same issue at my wedding where there was like a 70% chance we were going to be moving overseas within the next couple months and the last thing i needed was boxes of placemats and picture frames to deal with. most people were actually very nice and stuck to cash or small personal items... the people who bought us digital picture frames and spice racks were fairly far and few between.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have had the same issue with baby registries. With my first, I got very little I had actually registered for, but fortunately a lot of people included gift receipts, and Target back then had a pretty good return policy - they would take most stuff back without a receipt if you were registered there. So, at one point I think I had a couple hundred $ in store credit. Which, believe me, we used!

I recently went to a shower for a friend and out of over 50 people, I think there were only TWO of us who bought her stuff off of her registry. She got some beautiful clothes, including from Nordstrom, that I know people spent a lot of money on, but I also know she really needed a few higher ticket items that could have been purchased with that money.

I know clothes are tempting, but really, most of these women were mothers themselves, and surely they remembered being deluged with outfits at their own showers? At the very least, if I DO buy clothes, I buy nothing smaller than a 9 month size, since that is about the point we started running out and I actually had to go buy stuff. By then, the few outfits I had in 9 month sizes that were gifts were welcome. But the two dozen 0-3 month onesies? Uhm, no.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm not having a shower this time around. But for my DD, I got tons of clothes and few things from my registry. I ended up returning most of the clothes even though I didn't have gift receipts. Luckily, stores like Babies R Us and Kohl's will give you store credit for brands they carry. The worst was Sears. I got a baby monitor I didn't need and the lady didn't include a receipt. The store refused to even look up if one had recently been purchased. I ended up taking the monitor to Babies R Us and just used the store credit for stuff I needed.

If you can compile the outfits by brand, maybe some of us can help you find where they came from. For instance, anything from Carter's and Osh Kosh can generally be found at Kohl's

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
yeah, I think people just like to buy clothes. I was probably guilty of that before having a baby myself. I don't always buy off the registry now, but I do try to be thoughtful about it and make sure it is something they can use or I think they will really like.

With DD, I even had people give me SUMMER NB clothes! She was due/born at the end of September LOL None of that got used at all.

Luckily I save just about everything from her, so it will all get a second chance to be used!

·
Premium Member
45,396 Posts
Crashing. One, baby clothes are so cute to buy... and two, some people think that registries are rude, and a gift grab, so refuse to use them.

That is not a criticism from me on registries, just an observation.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
i set up a registry online mostly for myself, and thought i'd just refer people to it if they ask what we need. not having a shower, so i haven't specifically ASKED for stuff. i've been surprised how many friends/family are just sending stuff and not asking whether we even have a registry to begin w/.
, backfire!

kills me how people say, well, you can just return it. i'm thinking that's about the worst part - assuming a mom-to-be or new mom has the time/energy to drag all this un-looked for crap around.

my husband says, well, it's the thought that counts, or, people just want to give something. but i think that's ridiculous consumer bull****. if someone really wants to be helpful, the thought would ACTUALLY count,

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post
With DD, I even had people give me SUMMER NB clothes! She was due/born at the end of September LOL None of that got used at all.
I got a few winter 3 mos things. The craziest thing was I got about 5 preemie outfits. Um, did they even look at the size? Or are they wishing a premature birth on me??

Well, I went through the mountain of clothes and I actually was able to figure out where most of it came from. So I think I'll bite the bullet and just do a marathon returning session. Hopefully the return policies will be okay. There was only three brands that I couldn't figure out where they came from so maybe you all know. They are Absorba, Mayfair, and Baby Paris. The Absorba brand item is little robeeze-like shoes that are really cute but I want to get a bigger size.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.