Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never understood this. I know TONS of women who go over a year without a single AF while bf'ing. And then there is me.... I bled pp for 7 weeks, had 2 weeks of no bleeding and then AF started, and has been back every 29 days every since.

My DD is a boob aholic, who still, at 8 months nurses 10-15 times a day, so I know it's not the frequency of nursing.

I'm just wondering why some women's body assume business as usual and others don't.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Because Mother Nature likes to have a good laugh sometimes?

Seriously, I don't know. I didn't start AF as soon as you did, but when DS was about six months, SURPRISE!! I was NOT pleased, especially since it was THE DAY we were leaving my mom's house in KS to drive cross-country to WA to catch the ferry up to AK. Great timing, huh? I was NOT prepared at all, and all my mom had were those flimsy Instead things. Uhhhh....not gonna cut it.

Oh, and DS nurses a LOT, even at almost 15 months, so I honestly thought I'd be one of those who went at least a year without. Nope. We're half-heartedly TTC right now, and my plan (read: opportunity for the fates to mess with me some more) is to tandem-nurse if/when we have another babe. I'm very curious to see if that holds off my cycles longer or not.

So no answers, just commiseration.

Kinsey

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I don't know either. I was looking forward to a long time without AF, but I got my period right at 3 months pp and have gotten it faithfully every month since.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I always wondered this too.... I'm 7 months PP and have had no AF. DS nurses a lot, but refused the breast for all but night nursings when he was 2 months old. We've always had low supply problems and such, so I thought for sure AF would come knocking really quickly, but nope...

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
NO clue. I got mine at 4 mos for both and they were fulltime bf. I DID read that it may have something to do w/one's body fat; ie. it comes back quicker if you have more body fat?

Dunno.
I ain't Twiggy, but I'm not her opposite either.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BusyMommy
NO clue. I got mine at 4 mos for both and they were fulltime bf. I DID read that it may have something to do w/one's body fat; ie. it comes back quicker if you have more body fat?

Dunno.
I ain't Twiggy, but I'm not her opposite either.
LMAO...what's my excuse then? I got tons of that...
:

:

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have tons of fat too and mine came back at about 7 mos for DD#1 and about 8 mos for DD#2. Maybe my next one will hold off until college! :LOL

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
'Cause some of us are just boned, I guess.

I keep hearing about the women who go for a year or two, but I got mine back at 10 months with my first round the clock nurser, and 4 months this time around. I was not happy, but what the heck. I had easy pregnancies and my cycles are regular, so I can't complain. I have plenty of fat, so maybe I can blame my fat on my return of menses along with all the other stuff I blame on it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I would like to know too! Both times I've gotten mine back early, and regular... with my older ds she came at 5 weeks, this time 6 weeks. Grrr!

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Mother Nature is laughing her ass off right now! I want to ttc soooooo badly, but havent had even the slightest hint of af! And everyone who wants to wait on more kids has gotten theirs at 4 months post partum. Hilarious. Not!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
4 months here!! I had heard the abt the body fat thing too. But that doesnt apply to me - this kid is eating me up. I had my first af last month and this month around the same time as AF came, I ovulated...twice? Like as in a wk apart. I can usually feel when I do, and I know what it is b/c it's only on one side. But no period yet, if I really was ovulating I should have af in abt a wk or so. So, we'll see. My body is outta whack I think.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I was told it can be affected by diet- I dont' know though. I was told teh healthiest eaters will get it sooner.
I got mine PP 6 months- thought it was just because I had a good all night sleeper, but my 2nd wasn't and got it at 5 M PP.

Who knows though...

·
Registered
865 Posts
I just got my first pp af at 9 months. I was actually quite relieved because I was feeling bloated and crampy and just plain weird....now I know what was going on...lol. I would have liked it to stay away longer though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am glad to know I am not the only one. I am only 9wks post-partum and it's already back! I just called my midwives yesterday to make sure there was nothing else going on...and I nurse 24/7!!!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbow
I was told it can be affected by diet- I dont' know though. I was told teh healthiest eaters will get it sooner.
:
:
:
:
:

I pretty much say that I broke that theory - as I eat graham crackers!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I am the world's worst eater.
I still weigh about 25 pounds over my pre-preg weight, and I can put on my pants I wore then too...but my hips have expanded, and I can forget about buttoning them up!!
I got AF 9 weeks post partum. No fun!!! Eva nursed all the time, but we did have a rocky start, since she didn't know how to eat, and had to be formula fed. Then when it came time to go home, she went on a lil nursing strike for a couple of days. And then every few weeks, she'd randomly forget how to nurse and we had to start all over. So I wonder if all those lil interupptions and complications had something to do with it?
I also wonder what the effects on the body are compared to women with a C-Section and women with a Vaginal birth. *shrug*
I guess it's just Mother Natura playing dirty tricks!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know ... I have always had a "touchy" cycle (influenced by EVERYTHING under the sun -- travel, stress, thinking too hard) and AF took a full 24 months to come back after dd. I am now 10 months post-ds's birth and no sign. Dd nursed all day and night. I night-weaned her at 22 mos. and that may have had the most to do with AF's return. Ds just nurses all night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.