Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm sitting here pondering this. Why do ya'll dye your CPFs? I mean, they're generally hidden inside covers of some sort, because they'd leak all over the place otherwise. So, who sees it other than you? I mean, if it makes you happy to see them in cool colors, well, that's a worthy reason. I've done wierder things just because it appeals to me
But, I'm wondering if there is any other reason. It seems like a big expense of time for something that won't be seen by anyone.

The only reason I can think of is that perhaps some mamas are really skeeved by pale staining, but don't want to use bleach to whiten the dipes, so this disguises that. But, the ones I've seen weren't very dark, so I didn't know if they'd successfully disguise anything.

And, folks talk about dying with kool-aid. Is that very waterproof? I'm remembering friends dying their hair with kool-aid in high school, because it washed out after a few weeks and was cheaper than Manic Panic. Don't ya'll end up with blue-butted kids? :LOL

Anyway, if kool-aid is in fact waterproof, I'd like to use it for some other things - and maybe I'll throw in a few CPFs just for fun

· Registered
3,613 Posts
I know alot of Mamas that just have their babies in there prefolds coverless around the house all day long so its pretty to look at like a pattern diaper!

· Registered
4,471 Posts
yep, we go coverless around the house and outside in summer, but macgregor isn't a sper heavy wetter so after one pee he's just barely damp in the front (outside the dipe) so I can change him easily without getting sopping wet, LOL.

kool aid is actually quite colorfast when set properly, but alas, it will only dye protein fibers (like wool, alpaca, silk, etc) and won't do a darned thing for plant fibers like the cotton in diapers. you need a fiber reactive dye (like procion) for diapers

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Well, none of my prefolds are dyed. Some are bleached and some are unbleached, but I frequently have ds run around the house in a snappied CPF. It's easy to change him, and he doesn't pee straight through them. It would be nice to have some pretty colors just for that (but I'm too lazy to dye them) :LOL

· Premium Member
809 Posts
I do the same thing...let him go around in just a tie dye cpf with no cover. Mostly b/c tie dye is so fun and makes me happy and I haven't found a good way to get a truly bright colored tie dye cover.

· Registered
1,635 Posts
A. because it was WAAYYY too much fun
B. not that expensive. I used a tyedye kit from rainbow rock that was like 6 bucks and did all 12 of my white infant pfs
C. even when they are covered, they make me smile to put on pretty colors instead of just blah white/cream
d. snappied without cover
e. I have colored dipes, colored covers...ect. Why not dye prefolds too?
F. I think even the light colors the stains arn't as OBVIOUS, but you can't really bleach them (sun, bleach, oxy) in any way when dirty...but thats a small price to pay /me thinks.

But mostly reason A. it was lots O fun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.