Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We homeschool because we didn't care for her first grade teacher. We felt she was abusive (to other students as well - I heard the other kdis complain that she was "mean" etc...) and when we requested a switch to another teacher that Emma happened to LOVE (as did other students) we were told that it wasn't possible.

I find homeschooling rewarding and feel another benefit of homeschooling is the ability to go at Emma's pace!

The only thing that DOES bother me, or rather we feel is a challenge, is interaction with other children. She has no friends or peers and the kids on the street leave much to be desired. We are going to enroll her in Ballet through a Dance Conservatory (excellent school) and hopefully this will help. We are also entertaining the idea of a Summer Camp program though McMaster University.

PS - What do you all do for social interaction for your kids?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
We have a homeschooling community/network that meets regularly (weekly in the winter at the local pool and in the summer, the beach). Add to that, all sorts of planned events during the year. There is an email hs connection list/group where information is posted and on-going conversations take place about all sorts of events, subjects, special classes people are offering, etc.

Perhaps there is a hs community in your area? Also, in the summer, we just wing it. Make sure to keep relatively busy to the park, playground, beach, etc. Lots of kids out and about. And then, playdates with neighbors and friends of all education backgrounds.

Oh, I would think a class of some type would be really helpful (you mentioned ballet). There, she's likely to meet other kids with at least one similar interest and playdates can form from there.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
631 Posts
We started out homeschooling because I saw that my dd8 cannot learn anything in a structured setting. The gifted program she was in was pretty good, but didn't allow her enough freedom. 28 kids in the class is way too distracting for her. She was popular and loved all the social and fun stuff about school, but that wasn't enough reason for me to keep her there 6 hrs a day. She was incredibly precocious as a toddler and preschooler, and very self-motivated, too. Several years at school sucked all the joy of learning right out of her and she protested any assigned work.

She is still deschooling (almost 5 months now) and working our way into full-fledged unschooling. Her love of learning is actually coming back now and she is keeping herself busy with lots of things. I am finding out she has so many interests and I encourage that. Homeschooling was the best decision. I just wish I had done it sooner.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
The #1 reason I chose to homeschool is because of all the CRAP in the overburdened, underfunded public schools. The sexism, lookism, homophobia, celebrity obsession, violence, anger, cliques.... & how can the teachers fight those things when there is one of them & 20-40 students? It's a sad place, imho. I don't want my kids to lose their joy of learning & instead get lost in making sure they're wearing the "right" things & using the "cool" language. I want my kids free to be themselves.

I also don't want the government telling me what & how & when my kids should memorize & learn certain things. If my kids want to learn about nothing but worms & dirt & trees for a whole month, I'm not going to stop them & say "No, we are going to memorize all the countries in Europe instead because the state says it's time".

Also, our family is closer than I think it would be if my kids were in school all day. My 13 yr old & 7 yr are soooo close, & I imagine that might not be the case if they were in different schools all day.

Our biggest problem? Socialization too. It's something I have to actively work on. That & my dd hates history & science.
But even then, I honestly would never consider public school as an option.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
I like to frame our homeschooling choice in terms of what we are going for, rather than what we are trying to get away from. We are homeschooling because we want our children to have a nice long childhood. We want them to be able to think, and to know where to find answers, and how to evaluate sources- not just to have someone's ideas of what every XX-grader needs to know shoved down their throats.

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Mostly? Beacause we don't care for forced curriculum. We value the freedom to pursue what we wish, and we want the very same thing for our kids
There are other reasons (negative teachers, bullying, testing, and grading) but if I had to put our reason into just one word it would be freedom.

We have a circle of friends we see quite often with kids of alot of ages in it. I do wish there were more options for my teen Ds though. He has yet to meet a boy around his age that he gets along with. There is an unschooling group near us that I would like to get involved with, but between me not driving and Dh being on the road more it's just not likely any time soon.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Oh, and the socialization thing. Socialization is the means through which a society's manners and mores are passed. I don't want my children learning this from other children their own age. That just seems silly and unnatural to me.

If you're talking about socializing, I am all for it. They socialize at church, at choir, at lessons (Suzuki, ballet, and swimming), at the homeschool coop, at the library, etc, etc, etc. I am constantly amazed that when you mention homeschooling, the first image people still get in their mind is that you are holed up on a mountain, stockpiling weapons and waiting for Jesus to come back.

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie
I am constantly amazed that when you mention homeschooling, the first image people still get in their mind is that you are holed up on a mountain, stockpiling weapons and waiting for Jesus to come back.
: Oh yea such a heartwarming image isn't it? Equally as annoying is the that other extreme image that you are naturalists (whatever that means exactly these days) or hippies living off the grid, weaving baskets, and naming your children things like "Dreamstar Raindrop" refusing to be part of society to stick it to "the man". I swear I still get that stereotype too.

I think basket weaving would be fun though....

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfmama
we homeschool because of christianity in the schools.

we have a local homeshool group and have plenty of opportunities for social events.
You mean lack of Christianity or the fact that religion was in your school?

Quote:

Oh, and the socialization thing. Socialization is the means through which a society's manners and mores are passed. I don't want my children learning this from other children their own age. That just seems silly and unnatural to me.

If you're talking about socializing, I am all for it. They socialize at church, at choir, at lessons (Suzuki, ballet, and swimming), at the homeschool coop, at the library, etc, etc, etc. I am constantly amazed that when you mention homeschooling, the first image people still get in their mind is that you are holed up on a mountain, stockpiling weapons and waiting for Jesus to come back.
I mean just hanging out with kids her age for fun. She gets sad sometmes because she misses her friends. I know she gets lonely, but we are wroking on it! We do take her to the park and wahtnot, and she interacts with children there, but she is at the age where she says she wants a "best friend" and "sleepovers." Before we moved, she had friends and sleepovers etc. and I think that is the only difficult thing about homeschooling her. This will change of course when she eventually meets some pals.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
We homeschool because it is a great educational option. I love this style of learning.

We are very fortunate that our neighborhood is full of great kids of all ages, so I don't see socialization as an issue at all. My dd spends time with peers most days.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa
Mostly? Beacause we don't care for forced curriculum. We value the freedom to pursue what we wish, and we want the very same thing for our kids
There are other reasons (negative teachers, bullying, testing, and grading) but if I had to put our reason into just one word it would be freedom.
Freedom is definitely a big reason here. And because I believe the school system and the way it is set up invites stress and arguements into the house and I don't want or need them. Having to get my son up every weekday morning and be on him about getting breakfast and getting dressed and getting lunch made and then, oh crap, we're running late. C'mon, c'mon, the bells ringing...not our style. I hate working on someone else's schedule. And then there's the homework fight - forget it. The last thing I would be willing to do is fight my kid to do schoolwork when he's already done it for a full day.

Not to mention the lies that pass for fact when it comes to Aboriginal peoples. I can just imagine the dynamic it could set up when my Iroqouis son comes home informing his dad that wampum belts were a form of currency, and all the other myths that pass as fact and how we'd feel asking our son to just put down the lies the teacher wants on the tests but know himself that the answers are wrong. Teachers are considered all knowing in our society and I think having to pit our knowledge against the teacher's would put our son in a wierd spot.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Umm, it depends on when you ask me.

My reason this week: because getting kids somewhere early in the morning every weekday is a nightmare. Dd is in an art camp that starts at 9am every morning; she is NOT a morning person. This camp lasts 2 weeks, then she's in a Pioneer Camp where they'll be acting like pioneers (that one's a small camp, and at least half of the participants are homeschoolers).

After all of this is over I think she's looking forward to staying up LATE reading, which she can't do now (well, and be functional in the morning).

At other times I would say many of the same things PPs have already said...freedom, power/knowledge play between parent and teacher, being able to think for yourself.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Our reasons have changed a lot since we started. I used to think that we could live and learn according to our values and still function within the school system. When I remember that now, and what a struggle it was, I just
(what WAS I thinking?) It was just a bad fit all around--we didn't like the school's attitude toward children, their emphasis on testing and grades, their schedule, their rules, their structure, their expectations etc. etc.

We homeschool now because we love being free to live our own lives. It's getting to be cliche around here, but hsing isn't just a school choice for us, it's part of our lifestyle now and no one can imagine going back.

We've belonged to several hsing groups over the past few years and the kids have met other kids through those groups. They each have made friends this way. And we go to parks and library programs, and they've met kids through their activities and classes.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Quote:

Well said!

Our ds is 2.5 and our dd is 8 mths, but we are definately going to homeschool for all the reasons said, but the number one reason is the socialization. I think school gives kids a sense of false socialization. I mean, where on earth are they ever going to be socializing with 30 peers their own exact age outside of public school?

That being said, we are VERY fortunate to live in an area where there are TONS of homeschoolers which means a zillion homeschool coops out there.

Shannon

Oh, and I realized that kids who are homeschooled (are usually AP kids and NFL kids) seem to be so much closer to each other and their parents than public school kids (please don't take offense if you read this and your kids are in public school).

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxwill129
Oh, and I realized that kids who are homeschooled (are usually AP kids and NFL kids) seem to be so much closer to each other and their parents than public school kids (please don't take offense if you read this and your kids are in public school).

My kids were in public school since Pre-K and we are pulling them to homeschool starting in the fall. This was actually one of our deciding factors. I told my husband our friends kids who are homeschooled seem to get along better and know how to interact with their siblings better. I am also looking forward to reconnecting with my crew and really getting to know them better. As far as socialization goes there are many homeschool groups to join around us, plus a lot of their friends from church are homeschooled.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
We initially made the decision to hs so that we could provide an individualized education for our first (then only) child. He was not developing in a conventional manner and we were concerned about him being a square peg in a round hole at school. But now, I guess we largely homeschool for reasons related to freedom: freedom to plan our days, freedom to learn what we want and when, freedom to go places and not receive a truant letter for missing more than 5 days in an entire year, freedom to learn HOW we want to learn, freedom to socialize with whom we want, freedom to spend as much time as we want on a subject/project, freedom to make mistakes without getting penalized, freedom from strong commercial influences, etc etc etc. It feels good.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfmama
we homeschool because of christianity in the schools.

we homeschool because of the LACK of christianity in the schools.

I find that funny.

you wolfmama

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.