Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking a lot about different reasons why I work. DH and I have discussed it and I could be a SAHM if I wanted to. But I don't really want to. Yes, I would love to be with my kids more. But, here are some specific reasons why I choose to continue in my job:

1. Financial: I don't want to be financially dependent on anyone. And I don't want to have to live paycheck to paycheck (not that we aren't kind of doing that right now - LOL). and I'd like to be able to save for our kid's college educations.

2. Insurance: Both DHs and I have insurance coverage for the whole family. That really helps becaue DS is SN and his therapy sessions run $800/month. (all paid for because we are double covered).

3. Being Around Adults Keeps Me Sane: This is just me, but I've got to have some interaction with adults during the day or I become cranky and morose.

What are other reasons you work - assuming that you don't "have to?"

· Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In my fantasy I've won the lottery, and this allows me to stay home until my youngest enters kindergarten. At which time I'll start my own business - something exciting and very glamourous, of course. But one that leaves me plenty of time for my kids and DH. We'll have plenty of insurance coverage and no financial worries....

The reality is that I stay at my job because at age 40, I don't want to be out there looking for another job, and because I would rather not "get by". I want to have a decent standard of living. It's a trade-off definitely, but it is the right choice for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.