Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,189 Posts
I'm not working-- but I'm a fulltime college student, and considered staying at home before this summer. But I'm going back to school, and really looking forward to it.

To me, the most important reason to go back to school is the interaction with grown folks. I love my son, but it's so isolating and frustrating when DH goes off to work, and I'm home for the next 10 hours with a nonverbal baby and no car. I feel like I'm stranded, but I try hard not to let it show.

My mom was a SAHM for 25 years... and I wish she had worked at least a little bit. She just got so burned out on kid stuff and being trapped at home that honestly, she wasn't always real pleasant to be around. People think that stay-at-home moms are all cookies and milk and heart-to- heart chats, but the emotional lives of women are a little more complicated than that!

She is and was a great mom... but... I think we all would have been happier if she had her own thing going on, too. Sometimes she took things wayyyy too personally-- like if someone forgot Mother's Day, since it was the only day of the year she got some workplace recognition, as it were, kwim?

· Registered
5,189 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanEarthMom

I don't mind answering this question on this forum but I generally don't like when people ask me that because men who work are not asked that question. It really isn't anyone's business and people want to make judgements (exp. we're not "sacrificing enough", I'm "career oriented" etc.)
Great point, and not one I'd really thought about before. My husband looks forward to retirement, and says he want to be the one to stay home with our kid(s).

But if he wants to stay home, I need to finish my education so I can hopefully find a decent job!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.