Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so annoyed. Why can't I go to the regular grocery and just get a box of graham crackers for my kid! I have to make a special trip to a special store with expensive food to get crackers that don't have high fructose corn syrup. I don't always have the time or desire to do that. I guess I should stock up, but darnit, why is it in there in the first place!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
:

Unfortunately, that's it in a nutshell. It's why HFCS has replaced sugar in so many products.

But I feel your pain! DH won't eat the bread I make, so I have spent many hours in the bread aisle trying to find a single loaf of whole grain bread that does not contain HFCS or hydrogenated fats. It's practically impossible ... and then if you add in the fact that I don't want soy or cottonseed oils, either, it is impossible. Pisses me off like you would not believe!

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Have you seen the new 100% natural 7up? I'm not a big pop drinker but sometimes a 7up is good on an upset stomach so I checked out the 100% natural ingredients - high fructose corn syrup! What a scam!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
If anyone here has read or gets a chance to read "The Omnivore's Dilemma", please do take the time! I forget how it all goes now, and my pregnant brain is failing me more each day... but farmers over the years have been producing so much corn, that it costs them more to grow it than they can ever get from it. Somehow government subsidies encourage this to continue. (I'm sorry about not being able to explain it better!) In any case, that is why you will find SO many corn products in pretty much everything... and why cows are forced to eat it (corn is NOT part of their natural diet) and they are even breeding farm raised fish to eat it. We have way more corn than we know what to do with.

Wish they would just NOT GROW SO DARN MUCH OF IT but our lovely government has made sure that won't happen anytime soon...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Quote:
Wish they would just NOT GROW SO DARN MUCH OF IT but our lovely government has made sure that won't happen anytime soon...
You said it! I've known for about a year that I'm allergic to corn, so I'm very aware of how prevalent that particular evil is. And why. It's starting to happen with ethanol now, too. We're being told how "green" & wonderful it is, but it's not; however "we have all this corn anyway, so we might as well do something with it." I actually read a quote along those lines in a respectable magazine.
Use your heads, people!! Sorry to go a bit OT, just gets my blood boiling.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Sometimes I consider moving back to Europe just for the lack of HFCS.

It's SUCH a major pain, an ueberpain!

I've been craving 1 glas of coke for ages, but, of couse, HFCS....

So I'm soda free...

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think it's not only cheap, but it's addictive. I can eat something with sugar in it (we cook with sucanat, maple syrup, mollassas, etc) and I have no trouble eating a reasonable amount. When I have something with HFCS in it, though, I crave more for days, and will eat anything sweet I can get my hands on. It takes me 3-4 days before my sugar cravings get back under control. It's EVIL stuff!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
HFCS is the reason we first stopped eating regular snacks. Usually the organic brands will be HFCS free. I also purchased a lot from the international sections of the grocery store since snacks made in Europe and overseas tend to have better sweeteners and they tend to use less hydrogenated oils. Now DH and I don't eat any refined sugar at all so we don't hardly buy prepackaged snacks at all.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I think it's a more onerous evil than tobacco and alcohol combined.

In fact in The Omnivore's Dilemma, the author points out that in the early 1900s, it was so easy to grow tons ofwhatever grain is in pure grain alcohol that we as a society became absolute sots. It was cheap, the factories had 'elevenses' where they served alcohol in place of coffee breaks... it all led to prohibition. Now the culprit is corn; same effect; we are all becoming grossly overweight and addicted to HFCS wich is in everything.

Nature's Ovens makes breads without it; they are local to me, but I believe they sell their products frozen as well...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Like everyone said.... it's cheap and it gives the same sweetness as table sugar. It's also easier to handle in beverages b/c it comes in liquid form. No sugar granules to dissolve.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It is so annoying. The other day I was trying to buy a jar of sweet pickle relish (to use in macaroni salad) and every single brand had HFCS in them! I ended up not buying any in disgust. You would think at least 1 brand would decide to not use it; I would have gladly bought that brand and I am sure others would too. It seems more and more people are avoiding HFCS and hydrogenated oils. Companies should try and wise up and remove them from their products, even as a marketing ploy.

I'll have to just find some at Whole Foods next time I go.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadzia
It is so annoying. The other day I was trying to buy a jar of sweet pickle relish (to use in macaroni salad) and every single brand had HFCS in them! I ended up not buying any in disgust. You would think at least 1 brand would decide to not use it; I would have gladly bought that brand and I am sure others would too. It seems more and more people are avoiding HFCS and hydrogenated oils. Companies should try and wise up and remove them from their products, even as a marketing ploy.

I'll have to just find some at Whole Foods next time I go.
I was shocked to find it in my jar of pickles the other day! I even wrote in my blog about it. I never even thought to look at the ingredient label on freaking pickles!

·
Registered
709 Posts
HCFS is in EVERYTHING! AHHHHHHHHHHH!

When I first started switching us over to a WAP-friendly diet...my husband was VERY skeptical of how much we were spending, adn wanted to continue to shop at the regular store.

So...we went in together, and I said, "You may buy ANYTHING you want wtihout me nagging IF and ONLY IF, it does NOT contain: HFCS or partially-hydro soybeans." We came home with THREE things!

And now only go into the regular store for Breyers (a guilty pleasure).

Last week we were shopping at the Mart and husband picked up a frozen container of concentrated limeade. (HIS guilty pleasure) ONly to walk about 10 feet, read the label and RUN it back to the freezer case! IT"S EVERYWHERE!!!!

Mrs Bernstein

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.