Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some microfiber towels and the tag says they are 70% polyester and 30% polyamide. I have no clue what polamide is but is that what makes them absorbant? I'm very confused how somethign with 70% poly can be absorbant.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
But the thingis, they are. I know someone that did a pour-test with a MOE microfiber insert and a Joey, and the MOE held more water!

I think it works because the microfiber is spun to create teeny tiny air pockets that will suck water into them & kind of trap it there. Kinda like how wool works, only faster.

Personally, I think it's wierd to have an all-poly diapering system like you can get from MOE - 100% poly FuzziBunz and microfiber inserts.....sounds hot & sticky to me!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't know what the MOE inserts are made of, but I never found those to be absorbent, either.

Are the ones you bought from MOE, or somewhere else?

I like poly for microfleece for wicking, and for outer layers of fleece, but I just cannot see using it for the entire diaper - I have yet to find a poly based fabric as absorbent as cotton or hemp, myself.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
The MOE inserts are actually 100% rayon, aka felt. and for some reason rayon is very absorbent. I have some "magicloths" that I use for inserts that are 100% rayon and they could hold a dam, but arent very quick to absorb like cotton/hemp.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just a bit of clarification on this, as well, since 'microfiber' is such a commonly misunderstood term: microfibers are extremely fine yarns (as opposed to an actual fabric piece) made from various sources. They can be polyester, nylon, or a natural material such as cotton.

You can find super-thin fabrics made from microfiber yarns which have been combined to then make a woven or knit fabric, which will feel softer the smaller the actual yarn circumference (or diameter, really).

So, fabrics made from poly microfiber can technically end up feeling softer than those made from cotton, depending upon the width of the thread, and vice versa.

Keep in mind, though, that during the upcoming warmer months, a microfiber made from natural materials is going to be more breathable, with a lower temperature in a diaper, and more comfortable for babies who have very sensitive skin. And, the natural fabrics will not retain smells as much (as long as you use less detergent to wash them, and rinse well).

If you use the poly microfibre-based ones, then you will need more detergent, plus good rinsing, as poly fabrics do not release smells as readily as natural fabrics.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I've got TONS of the microfiber inserts and I love them! They absorb a lot, but if they get too full, it will "squish" back out. I usually put something small in there with it (a hemp wipe or something) to catch it first and then the microfiber holds it all in!

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I have the ones from target and they work great. I use 2 trifolded placed next to each other inside a pocket dipe (I hope that made sense) to make sure I catch everything and they work fine overnight for my heavy wetter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts