Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 year old cat who has major issues with peeing. She has always had the problem and it seems to come and go. We keep her box very clean. When she goes in the box she acts like the litter is disgusting, she steps in there, goes, and the leaps out.

We went in the basement to get our Christmas lights and she had peed in the box a lot- the lights are wrapped around newspaper. So it's ok to stand on a bunch of christmas lights, but not litter?

She also pees in the family room- behind the TV, on the curtains...

It is getting to the point where I don't know if we can put up with it anymore.

Any help?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
This might sound like a dumb question, but have you tried changing the type of litter you use? There are many different kinds and they all have different textures/scents. Maybe she doesn't like the kind that's in there.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
First thing...have you taken her to a vet and had urinary crystals ruled out?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
This might sound like a dumb question, but have you tried changing the type of litter you use? There are many different kinds and they all have different textures/scents. Maybe she doesn't like the kind that's in there.
In addition to the vet check, I immediately thought of the above. I had a close friend who's cat had the same issues and changing the brand and location of the box solved the problem.

·
Registered
495 Posts
having cats all my life, here's my suggestions. i would change the litter and maybe even the litter box. some cats hate the scented stuff, some like close litter boxes, some like open. some like quiet, we always had it in the closet or bathroom. i would also get a few and put in different locations to see if that's a problem. i would also go to the vet, check for UTI or other UT issues.
good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.