Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why I can not finish off and make it look as clean as a "professionaly" sewn garment. Mine always look like crap!! Anyone have aby good pictures or links to pic on how to get a clean end??

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I've often wondered the same thing about mine. :LOL My guess is - practice. Lots and lots of practice. I mean, if we keep doing this, eventually we'll get better, right?
Every once in a while, through sheer freaking luck, I manage to do a clean finish to my serge line, but since I have no idea how I did it, it's kinda hard to replicate.

BTW - am I the only person whose smilies panel & editing panel vanished?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah, see, all the smilies vanished - you know, the box to the right of the post window with all the smilies in it? And so did all the editing tools that are normally above the window for your post (like bold, underlining, etc. etc.). Did someone decide that I didn't deserve to have them any more? It seems like it happened at the same time that I got my senior title...

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I wonder this too. My dipes are turned and topstitched so it doesn't show but it still bugs me. What I do is take a teenie crochet hook and drag the end of the serging back inside the stitches, at least then it doesn't unravel.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
What I do, and always have done is when I get to the beginning of my serging, I serge over that for about half an inch to an inch but do NOT let the blades cut the beginning serging. It's very easy to let that blad clip off the loops on the end.. be careful that you don't. Then, right off the edge. When I have that little tail, I clip it about 3/8 of an inch away from the diaper. If you give the treads a little tug and sort of untalge them (I just slide my fingers over them lightly a few times) you'll find your looper threads.. they are the long two. If you pull them tightly, it will knot them together. You can tie another quick square knot in them if you like before you clip off the extra. I have NO idea if that's the "correct" way, but I did that for years in my wahm business and never got a complaint of the serging coming undone there. It seems to knot up nicer and sort of "disappear" better iwth woolly nylon in at least the upper looper, but works with regular thread in them too. It's the quickest way I know of.

I hope that made sense. It's hard to describe. Just find those two longer looper threads and tighten them up and clip them off, or knot them and clip. Pretty simple.

If I'm doing a seam, like say, a cuff on a shirt, where I serge right off the edge and that might receive stress (nobody is pulling the layers of a wipe or diaper apart.. but a shirt cuff would get stressed at that point so the above method isn't recommended in this case), I leave a 1-2 inch tail, then I pull it to the inisde of the serging, lay it up against the seam, take it to the sewing machine, and use a very small straight stithc to stitch that tail down into the serged seam (where it's hidden) really well, Then, I clip it close, but not REALLY close to the holding stitches I just put in. You never see it unless you look for it and it won't come undone if that cuff gets stretched.

Hope that helped someone.
amber

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tippytoes26
I serge over that for about half an inch to an inch but do NOT let the blades cut the beginning serging. It's very easy to let that blad clip off the loops on the end.. be careful that you don't. Then, right off the edge. When I have that little tail, I clip it about 3/8 of an inch away from the diaper. If you give the treads a little tug and sort of untalge them (I just slide my fingers over them lightly a few times) you'll find your looper threads.. they are the long two. If you pull them tightly, it will knot them together. You can tie another quick square knot in them if you like before you clip off the extra.
:

This is exactly what I do. I've never had a serger line come undone.

Amanda

1 - 8 of 8 Posts