Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD just turned two and has a few "babies" of her own that she has always nursed. I've even caught her trying to nurse our baby when she cries. Now we are here at my parents and they have custody of my neice and nephew. My neice has dolls of her own that she gives bottles to so now my DD is giving her babies bottles and it's driving me nuts! I know that's really stupid to be bothered about but it does I have even tried to get her to nurse her babies again but she just shakes her head and gives them a bottle. On the plus side I did find my neice trying to breastfeed the baby. Good she knows about it bad that she tried to pick up baby.
In the past I've thrown away and bottle that comes with a doll. am I just being difficult.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I can understand that bothering you. It isn't the fact that she is giving the baby a botlle so much, it is the fact that the world views that as the proper thing to do with a baby, hence the bottles that come with dolls. It is a symptom of the attitudes towards breastfeeding. And here you are, trying to raise your dd to see breastfeeding as normal and natural, and one little outing with another child undermines it all. I can totally understand. Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I totally understand...

My personal peeve is all of the bottles that are plastered on baby shower decorations, new baby congratulatory cards, baby wrapping paper, baby blankets, baby fabric, etc.

And why is it that any time there's a couple with a baby being interviewed on some dumb t.v. show they show them giving the baby a bottle? If they don't want to show boobs, fine, but why show anything then?

It all just adds up to a cultural norm of bottlefeeding... no wonder so many women just bottlefeed without even thinking about it.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnnaReilly

My personal peeve is all of the bottles that are plastered on baby shower decorations, new baby congratulatory cards, baby wrapping paper, baby blankets, baby fabric, etc.
I've told my mother that if she throws me a baby shower when I'm pregnant, I want ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THAT STUFF anywhere around me. She thinks I'm weird but she agreed to go along with my request.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnnaReilly
ITA!!! There was a double shower at DH's office this week for 2 families with newborns. I went to the PX to get giftbags and managed to find 2 different baby themed ones that didn't have bottles or pacifiers on them. Put the gifts inside, signed the cards, etc., and as DH was leaving for work with presents in hand, I saw it! On the side of one of the bags, the part that you can't see when the bag is folded up like it was when I bought it, one of the bags had a bottle on it!!!! It was too late to return the bag, and I was very unhappy about it.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
it bothers me too... youi'll get a kick outta this

the gals that threw my shower, most of em know me from lll or from when i worked as a bf counselor. you know thos little pink and blue bottles they use as favors? my friends bit the ends of the bottles off, so they looked like boobies, lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
My dd is 17 months and hasn't even tried to nurse them, but the first time she saw a toy bottle, she started trying to feed the baby doll with it. She's only used a bottle once when i had to leave her for a day, and that was last december. I guess just from seeing other kids have bottles she gets it from them. It bugs me, but I figure its just the novelty of it. Which is why your neice is trying to nurse and your dd is doing bottles lol. I had wanted to wait and let HER decide to try to nurse them, but i have recently started encouraging her to nurse the babies, and she always pulls up my shirt and hands them to me LOL. She looks at me like "mom i don't have boobs!" I'm debating just tossing the bottles out. I keep saying maybe she's bottlefeeding them because she's babysitting and they are filled with breast milk.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
When my mom threw my a baby shower I too told her no bottles on anything. She went with my wishes

However.....she bought my dd a couple of bottles for her dolls. These bottles were so irritating because they cried when shook or dropped. It sounded like a grown man crying. It was awful!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts