Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Is it because most pedi's will "fire" you once they find out?  Is it so that we can say "we have all of our pedi-recommended vax" ...?  Is it to relieve stress during appts?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm asking because I'm having a tough time finding somebody in my area.  I stopped vaxing about 1.5 years ago, and have been avoiding the question.  Last time I went in for the pre-school check-up, I declined the vaxes and said we were rethinking everything. (And then basically ran out the door!)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There's a horrible person in a nearby metro area that is the main NFL/No-vax doc, but she was so rude and prickly on the phone, I cancelled the appt the next day.  I really need to trust my judgment on docs since healing from my c/s.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I also have 3 kids (soon) and don't want to drive into the "big city" with my entourage!! (parking is painful and expensive) </p>

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
<p>Well, if they are not "understanding" they will either not have your child as a patient, or will only keep you until they realize berating you at every appointment will not result in you vaxing--then they will fire you.</p>

·
Registered
958 Posts
<p>Find a local family practitioner if you do not want to drive into the city.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You want a doctor who respects you as a person and as a parent.  Why would you pay an office visit fee to be insulted and berated every time you go?  If your paediatrician does not agree with you on vaccination, there are probably other issues regarding child rearing that you will butt heads on also, as breastfeeding, formula feeding, diapering, introducing solids, treatment of certain conditions as earaches, use of antibiotics, and meaning of growth/weight charts and growth patterns.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Some paediatricians have been known to call CPS on a parent with whom they have differing views regarding vaccinations and other decisions that parents make.  </p>

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
<p>I have heard that general family practitioners are much more understanding than peds. I think they are just as capable of diagnosing common childhood ailments, and following a childs growth. I find they are way less nosy about your parenting choices. My family doc doesnt even ask me about vaccinations. She just addresses the concerns I have at that visit.</p>

·
Registered
596 Posts
When I first told our pediatrician that I wanted to delay vaccines, she showed me all kinds of material and pictures of horrible things that would happen to my baby if I didn't go by the recommended schedule. She reluctantly agreed to "let" us choose our own timing, but told us that we were fortunate because some doctors refuse to accept unvaccinated kids in their care.<br><br>
At the time I didn't really consider this too negative of an experience because this was about how my family reacted as well. But since, I have heard through the grapevine that another pediatrician *in the same practice* is very open to non-vaxxers and doesn't give people a hard time at all. At this point, I'm not going to changs peds because I think she is a good doctor overall and we have been with her for a long time. But if I had looked just a little harder in the beginning, I might have had an easier initial experience with the vaccine issue.<br><br>
You can always call around and talk to prospective doctors on the phone as you are "shopping" for a doctor for your child. Ask a generic question like, "how many patients do you see who don't vaccinate?" and see how they respond. That may tell you a lot about where they stand, before you even walk in the door.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
<p>If your children are healthy, there really is no reason to have a pediatrician. Otherwise, I would put up with a doctor pushing vaccines since I am confident in my decision. I honestly do not get how it can be legal or ethical for doctors to fire patients. It is beyond anything my brain can process.</p>

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
<p>There's a range of "understanding" reactions from a doc and what you want from the doc is involved in which ones you think are ok.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Some won't accept patients who don't vaccinate so that's an easy group to rule out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't want the hassle of someone feeling obligated to try to convince me whenever we're there, but if I had few choices or a great need for their specific expertise, I could put up with it.  If you take sick kids in a lot, it could get bothersome especially if they feel they want to do a lot of extra tests because your kids aren't vaccinated.  This seems like a particularly murky area--do they seem to have reasonable judgement and diagnostic abilities, or do they seem overly fearful of disease and/or liability issues? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Our doc doesn't bring it up at all since I told her that we don't vaccinate, and her attitude, that it's my responsibility to make the decision, is indicative of her approach to medicine overall.  She gives information and advice and it's up to the parent to make the decisions.  So far I haven't needed her in anything approaching an emergency, but knowing she divvies up responsibilities in that way is reassuring. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've never had a conventional doc who actively doesn't recommend vaccines, I guess they exist but that seems quite rare. </p>

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
<p>the first pediatrician we saw here took me for a fool and tried to trick us into getting more/different vax's than we wanted.  If not for the nurse ddouble checking what I told her vs what the doctor ordered, there could have been some issues.  That would be why I want a doctor for my kiddo is on the same page as me.</p>

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
<p>It depends on what you want a doctor for.  Me, I used to go to WBVs, but now I think why?  I chart their growth at home and I can spot any problem that a doc could spot in the 5 minutes they spend with my child and I'm not getting the vaxes, so why go at all?  Now, I only use my doc when I need a prescription or I don't know what's wrong. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I once heard the question, "Who would you want treating your child in a life threatening condition?"  To me, this is a standard doctor in a standard hospital.  Everything else I can take care of. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, since I'm not going in for WBVs, vaxs never really come up in the once or so a year I end up in the docs office.  I have gotten the spiel, but I just nod sagely and say I'll consider everything your saying.  Since, I've already considered everything they're saying, I don't give it another thought. </p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts