Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what is going on here but it's killing me. Ds has been very challenging this week. Dh picks Ds up from sitters at 4:30 everyday. I get home at 5:30. As soon as I walk in the door, the whining and the crying and the demanding starts. I spend some time with Ds but then I'm starving and I have to eat. This just makes things worse. I try to explain to him that mommy is hungry and has to eat. He crys and crys, sometimes hits. Dh tries to help but it doesn't usually distract Ds. I know that he probably just misses me and this is his way of letting me know but I can't do anything about the fact that I have to work. Any ideas for making after work time easier? It's not been just this week. It's happened before but it's getting worse. The weekends are great. We get to play and spend every second together. It doesn't help that Ds is not talking at all yet so communication is difficult. He is good at pointing and I am good at picking up on what it is that he's wanting though.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Robin,

We have some of the same issues. My daughter is delighted to see me when I get home, and it sends a surge of pride and delight through me everytime I come home. However, if I try to pay any attention to dinner, she crumbles into a whiny mess. I've found a couple of things that help: I have a snack and use the bathroom before coming home from work. This allows me to delay dinner and a bathroom trip for a while. I simply resign myself to not being able to do much in the evenings. Also, I've found that Karen can entertain herself for a long time playing in a very tiny stream of water at the sink. I clear it out, give her a couple of good toys (nothing that can hold too much water), put on her raincoat or remove her clothes and let her play. She can distract herself long enough to let me make dinner. I have also resigned myself to simply eating my own meal with Karen in my lap.

Good luck. I've found that it gets worse at times when she's teething or learning something new. I try to remind myself that these are indications that my daughter is very attached to me despite the fact that I'm working 40-45 hours a week.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I think that is a difficult time in general for kids. My sister calls it the "acid hour" and she is a SAHM. My kids are also always particularly difficult at that time of day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts