Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a grandmother and over 70. I live alone. I eat a fairly healthy diet, lots of organically grown, fresh local meat and veggies and so forth and so on. But I have a very hard time resisting chocolate and I can't give up crackers and butter.

Sigh. Open to suggestions!

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Neither can I!

When I have been able to resist things I should not have, I make sure I have low glycemic fruit available - green apples, berries, pitted fruit for breakfast. I drink lots of herbal tea.

I have eggs for lunch, poached usually - protein. Or canned tuna in water.

Dinner is vegetables, fresh, steamed, and I do my best to avoid salt and butter.

Local meat is great! Good for you! It has taken me a very long time to cut bread out of my diet and I have cut my dairy down to fermented products as yogurt and buttermilk. I just learned that buckwheat has no gluten, so I enjoy blueberry pancakes with local honey.

My main nemesis is fruit juices lately. The Ghirardelli white chocolate has not been replenished in my pantry for a while, but I miss it!

But we all need a treat now and then.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neither can I!

When I have been able to resist things I should not have, I make sure I have low glycemic fruit available - green apples, berries, pitted fruit for breakfast. I drink lots of herbal tea.

I have eggs for lunch, poached usually - protein. Or canned tuna in water.

Dinner is vegetables, fresh, steamed, and I do my best to avoid salt and butter.

Local meat is great! Good for you! It has taken me a very long time to cut bread out of my diet and I have cut my dairy down to fermented products as yogurt and buttermilk. I just learned that buckwheat has no gluten, so I enjoy blueberry pancakes with local honey.

My main nemesis is fruit juices lately. The Ghirardelli white chocolate has not been replenished in my pantry for a while, but I miss it!

But we all need a treat now and then.
I've never liked white chocolate. Too sweet for my taste. I do have some forms of chocolate that are binge preventing. A small piece and I'm done. They are usually made with either coconut sugar or honey. I think if I just stuck to those choices I'd be okay. Except for the crackers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you 🤗!
I've most recently been exploring Tim Ferris' Four Hour Body food philosophy. It seems ideal in some ways (but still difficult somehow)—lots of protein and veggies and fruits and nuts and seeds (the more organic the better, but where I live, local is more affordable and always satisfying). Also, the amazing thing about this one is that, for it to work, you must have a cheat day one full day per week, which is amazing. It's a super interesting read. Something I learned from him is that cinnamon and lemon both help the body process sugar.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you 🤗!
I've most recently been exploring Tim Ferris' Four Hour Body food philosophy. It seems ideal in some ways (but still difficult somehow)—lots of protein and veggies and fruits and nuts and seeds (the more organic the better, but where I live, local is more affordable and always satisfying). Also, the amazing thing about this one is that, for it to work, you must have a cheat day one full day per week, which is amazing. It's a super interesting read. Something I learned from him is that cinnamon and lemon both help the body process sugar.
Hmm. That sounds interesting. I can always get local and mostly get organic. I just don't like to spend a lot of time on shopping, cooking or planning food. My life, even though I'm retired, is very busy. Hectic even.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm a grandmother and over 70. I live alone. I eat a fairly healthy diet, lots of organically grown, fresh local meat and veggies and so forth and so on. But I have a very hard time resisting chocolate and I can't give up crackers and butter.

I use mostly olive oil, but butter is fine in moderation. Maybe you could stop buying crackers if you don't want to eat them? During the pandemic I ate super healthy because I just have healthy food at home and I wasn't eating out.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use mostly olive oil, but butter is fine in moderation. Maybe you could stop buying crackers if you don't want to eat them? During the pandemic I ate super healthy because I just have healthy food at home and I wasn't eating out.
I can't afford to eat out. I do so two or three times a year, max, although I do buy ready made wraps about once every 3 weeks, so maybe that counts as eating out.

The trouble is I enjoy eating crackers. But I'm sure it would be better if I didn't eat them.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
I have been gluten free for a while. It took a long time because I had to learn which products had gluten; oatmeal? Being gluten free has not helped my health afaik, so I guess I do not have celiac disease.

According to a doctor I have heard on the radio, one needs to clear all gluten from the house - even the pet food - in order to be completely gluten free.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been gluten free for a while. It took a long time because I had to learn which products had gluten; oatmeal? Being gluten free has not helped my health afaik, so I guess I do not have celiac disease.

According to a doctor I have heard on the radio, one needs to clear all gluten from the house - even the pet food - in order to be completely gluten free.
Yes, I don't know that any of us are celiac, but I definitely have had less headaches since clearing gluten from my diet, and less bloating in my midsection, I think :). Our little one's doc mentioned that it can take a full year to clear from the body? I never looked up research on that. But it's definitely getting easier to each gluten free these days.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got a question for anyone: Do you remember a time in your conscious life where you've been satisfied with your body as it is/was?

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got a question for anyone: Do you remember a time in your conscious life where you've been satisfied with your body as it is/was?
No. Although in early childhood I wasn't paying much attention to my body, but I don't think the word "satisfied" fits the way the minds of small children work.

Reactions: Alodo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same, i became aware of the shape of me and began feeling dissatisfied as a teen and since then, no matter my form (except when I was pregnant and recovering i think), have felt almost incomplete. Interesting. I'd like very much to feel satisfied, day to day, with my form. That would be nice.

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Same, i became aware of the shape of me and began feeling dissatisfied as a teen and since then, no matter my form (except when I was pregnant and recovering i think), have felt almost incomplete. Interesting. I'd like very much to feel satisfied, day to day, with my form. That would be nice.
As I've aged I've gradually realized that my body is a temporary habitation for my longer term self/spirit and that makes me less irritated with my aging body. All these wrinkles and sags are still sort of tiresome, of course.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As I've aged I've gradually realized that my body is a temporary habitation for my longer term self/spirit and that makes me less irritated with my aging body. All these wrinkles and sags are still sort of tiresome, of course.
I like that. It resonates. I'm growing into similar realizations. At the same time, I still find myself reaching for satisfaction or more. I wonder if that's just the nature of being human in this time/space reality--always reaching.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just realized I'm one comment away from 20, so here's to 20 (and thanks for the interesting discussion here too!)

·
Registered
477 Posts

Two books that I read this past summer really made me reassess the food/way I eat. I had always been a bit of an "everything in moderation" type eater, and assumed that I was eating fairly healthfully - yet my weight kept going in the wrong direction, and I was tired a lot.

The first was Animal, Vegetable, Junk: A History of Food from Sustainable to Suicidal by Mark Bittman (This one "scared me straight", so to speak, and I think of it as my grocery store Rosetta Stone.)
The other was Toxic Legacy: How the Weedkiller Glyphosate Is Destroying Our Health and the Environment by Stephanie Seneff, PhD (I had always tried to buy organic as much as possible, but this shed new light on the importance of not just organic produce, but also grains, legumes and nuts. Glyphosate is used as a desiccant on so many crops - not just GMOs - prior to harvest. The book is pretty technical in parts, but she also has some wonderful suggestions at the end on how to avoid glyphosate in your diet and improve your health.)

It was not easy, and I was really hungry at first and craving sugar. Had to push through that. I'm not sure if those books inspired me, or scared me, or just made me mad. It seems to have worked, though. As I feel healthier, it's gotten easier to eat healthier. I do have to cook more, though, which is difficult time-wise. I spend way less at the regular grocery store, and way more at the local health food store. I'm hoping it kind of evens out money-wise...

My own two cents would be - don't sweat the butter, just try to get a local or organic brand that you trust - check the ingredients on the crackers and try to buy a brand that uses whole, organic grains and no added sugars or ultra-processed ingredients - chocolate, mmmm... if you can, give it up for a week and see how you feel. Is it the chocolate you enjoy, or the sugar? If you can find some with 4 grams or less of sugar, that might be enough to hit the sweet spot.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two books that I read this past summer really made me reassess the food/way I eat. I had always been a bit of an "everything in moderation" type eater, and assumed that I was eating fairly healthfully - yet my weight kept going in the wrong direction, and I was tired a lot.

The first was Animal, Vegetable, Junk: A History of Food from Sustainable to Suicidal by Mark Bittman (This one "scared me straight", so to speak, and I think of it as my grocery store Rosetta Stone.)
The other was Toxic Legacy: How the Weedkiller Glyphosate Is Destroying Our Health and the Environment by Stephanie Seneff, PhD (I had always tried to buy organic as much as possible, but this shed new light on the importance of not just organic produce, but also grains, legumes and nuts. Glyphosate is used as a desiccant on so many crops - not just GMOs - prior to harvest. The book is pretty technical in parts, but she also has some wonderful suggestions at the end on how to avoid glyphosate in your diet and improve your health.)

It was not easy, and I was really hungry at first and craving sugar. Had to push through that. I'm not sure if those books inspired me, or scared me, or just made me mad. It seems to have worked, though. As I feel healthier, it's gotten easier to eat healthier. I do have to cook more, though, which is difficult time-wise. I spend way less at the regular grocery store, and way more at the local health food store. I'm hoping it kind of evens out money-wise...

My own two cents would be - don't sweat the butter, just try to get a local or organic brand that you trust - check the ingredients on the crackers and try to buy a brand that uses whole, organic grains and no added sugars or ultra-processed ingredients - chocolate, mmmm... if you can, give it up for a week and see how you feel. Is it the chocolate you enjoy, or the sugar? If you can find some with 4 grams or less of sugar, that might be enough to hit the sweet spot.
All good ideas! I actually find that lower sugar chocolate is more enjoyable. More expensive, too, which imposes moderation. I do buy organically grown crackers and I can up the quality of my butter. More expensive, again, but why not?

Reactions: Alodo
1 - 20 of 27 Posts