Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right breast is a total moron. I have had problems with it ever since my ds was born. I had severely crackled and bleeding nipples and mastitis FOUR times in the first two months (due to damaged ducts from having tissue removed after a dermatologist found an atypical mole on my breast), I also had low supply and now I am getting reoccuring milk plugs/a weird whitish blister on my nipple. Now that ds has teeth, he has bitten me twice on that side. Today I woke up with two red streaks (plugged ducts) on the breast, so maybe I am headed for mastitis again. I am so frustrated. I have used warm compresses, soaked in the bath, put olive oil on my nipple, hand expressed, nursed frequently, all the usual stuff. I am considering weaning from this breast after the red streaks clear up (the other breast does a lovely job). Would that be an overreaction? I don't think I can handle much more of this.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
First of all, I'm so sorry you've had so many problems. But. . . . . .
:

I personally don't think that's too drastic a step for you to wean from that breast. It seems that your other breast is doing most of the work anyway and this one just causes you pain and frustration. I can't give you much advice, just support. All those little blebs and clogged ducts and mastitis hurt like hell and are so frustrating to have one after another all the time. I've had them all and am so proud to say we've overcome them and more and are still going strong at 10months. But you've had these problems likely due to your damaged tissue. That's something that you can fix by weaning from that breast. If it won't bother your baby and you really want to, I would probably go for it. You are still committed to bf'ing, just not on the breast that fights you every step of the way and there's nothing wrong with avoiding all these troubles. No one said nursing had to be one specific way, both breasts, etc. I think you should be commended for trying so hard and for so long with this. I'm proud of you mama!

Meg

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your opinions, I wonder if ds is going to get angry about not using the "evil" breast, haha. He likes to switch back and forth frequently, we used to have to switch nurse a lot to build up supply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.