Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I’m reposting this because I’m not sure if the other one was public )

Everyone in my family love dogs. But when we go over to my brothers house, my four year old little girl gets scared out of her mind. My brother has a 260 pound English mastiff, the dog is really sweet. But for some reason my little girl doesn’t want to be anywhere near the dog. From day one, she has just been terrified of the dog, she was really hesitant to meet the dog the first time, she did it. But then I noticed that she was afraid.

why is this? We have a border collie at home and they get along and play together just fine. When my brothers dog starts barking or stands up, or just walks near her, my daughter will run to me wanting to be picked up. She doesn’t even want to be in the same room as the dog, even when I’m holding her In my arms, she doesn’t want me to go anywhere near him.

of course I respect my daughter and I make sure she feels safe. But why is she like this?

My brothers dog has done nothing wrong. Why is she acting so scared of him? Like I said we have a border collie at home and they play together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I read once why people are afraid of spiders. It said that in our minds, spiders are imagined as gigantic and people get scared aka arachnaphobia. I also learned that tall people especially parents should kneel down to eye level with children especially if they seem fearful. I think for your daughter, she's afraid of the dog because it's literally bigger than her. Did she see a TV show, or video of a dog or wild life show where something is getting mauled? It could leave a bad memory and literally 'change' her perspective. For now, maybe let her sit on your lap to pet the dog and 'accepting' her getting scared helps get her calm. It will take time but am sure she will eventually be ok with the dog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read once why people are afraid of spiders. It said that in our minds, spiders are imagined as gigantic and people get scared aka arachnaphobia. I also learned that tall people especially parents should kneel down to eye level with children especially if they seem fearful. I think for your daughter, she's afraid of the dog because it's literally bigger than her. Did she see a TV show, or video of a dog or wild life show where something is getting mauled? It could leave a bad memory and literally 'change' her perspective. For now, maybe let her sit on your lap to pet the dog and 'accepting' her getting scared helps get her calm. It will take time but am sure she will eventually be ok with the dog.
I’m not understanding why is she
sorry but I’m still not understanding why she is so scared. there are plenty of adults that are bigger than me, and it is not scary whatsoever.

but no she has not had any bad accounts for anything. She hasn’t seen any bad movies with dogs. And I have tried having her sit in my lap and slowly guiding her towards the dog and having the dog interact with her very little. But she will have nothing to do with it. And I don’t really know why. Because she loves our border collie at home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts