Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my gazillionth pot roast that has turned out bland. this time i cooked it in a bag that came with a seasoning packet and it was still blah! when i make it, i always add carrots, potatoes, onions, salt, and pepper. what am i doing wrong here? it comes out so boring i could fall asleep eating it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i don't use a bag, i do mine on the stove. browning the meat on all sides is very important. veg oil is good, pork fat is amazing, once it's browned slow braise in half broth/ half wine or beer and the veg(onions at the start, carrots and potatoes in the last hour of cooking). if it's all broth consider adding a tbsp of vinegar -that really perks up the flavor. all this may help get a bit of zing but i'll let you in on the secret master weapon****marmite*** a spoon full of marmite makes the flavor so much more beefy and savory. we had pot roast last week and is was quite tasty.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Try this sauce!
Let's see, about 1/4 cup tamari, 3-4 tablespoons vinegar (or lime or lemon), 3-4 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, 2 or so tablespoons grated ginger, same with garlic, about 2 teaspoons honey and enough water to bring level half way up meat. I use this sauce for lotsof recipes. You can shift it around with diffferent sour flavours, or you can add cilantro and fish sauce and reduce the tamari, or you can use molasses instead of honey and add hot sauce.
Just cook the pot roast in this sauce (watered down) for many hours.
Serve it with roasted veggies w/sea salt and a sauteed green.
Yum.

Another idea is to use salad dressing watered down to cook the roast in all day.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
For pot roast I normally make a bouquet garni (some bay leaves, pepper corns, thyme, and parsley inside a piece of tied cheese cloth) and cook it with it, removing before serving obviously.

For a real roast, I rub the outside with steak spice.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I do mine in the crock pot, on low for 8 hours. Peel and quarter potatoes and carrots (onions too if you want, and celery). Put chuck roast on top of that (I never take the time to brown it; don't want to dirty another pot...) then cover with a can of cream of mushroom (oops - is this the nutrition forum?
: ) and an envelope of Lipton onion soup mix. We love this.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I second (third, fourth, whatever) all of the suggestions about browning, thyme, and red wine! Lots and lots of FRESH ingredients (or dried, but preservative free) are key! And lots of fresh onions and garlic!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.