Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My third child gets so sick so often. I don't know what to do or how to boost his immune system and I need some help.
some background
First of all I had an extremely stressful pregnancy. I didn't gain much weight at all 17 lbs or so and I was also still nursing my 18 month old. Aidan was born with meconium but nothing major, and was pretty much a non-issue with my midwife. He was tiny and skinny skinny. After his two month shots (we only did DTaP and polio)he developed "rsv"
: He was a very sick boy for a while. I of course pumped him up with all the medicine the dr told me too. Steriods, ab's and tylenol. It took him about amonth to get better and then came round 2 of vaccines. Again he had the smae problems but not as bad. nothing had clicked in my head yet so at 9 months he went for the third round I beleive it was DTaP and prevnar. again he got realy sick and it finally clicked. he hasn't recieved any other vaccines. He hasn't gotten sick with the RSV symptoms since but he catches everything. He has diary sensitivities and soy. He gets eczema a lot.When he gets sick he gets very high fevers, direhea, is listless and will sit in bed or sleep for days at a time. Two weeks ago he caught something and had horrific direhea for days. he didn't get out of bed and when he did he would only go from the bed to the couch. I debated bringing him to hospital becuase I was worried about him getting dehydrated but I decided to just leave him bear bottomed nad make sure he was peeing. I know he was slightly dehydrated but I also knew what we would be put through if we went to the ER.I htink he may have had rotovirus. OUt of my four kids I have never seen anyof them this sick and with direhea for so long. Last night he started with a fever again and now he has direhea again. He spent most of the day laying down in bed watching TV. He did eat some breakfeast and I gave him a multivitamin and 2 chewable vit c tablets. I have also been pushing water on him like crazy.
I just don't get it, He was breastfed, he eats pretty good compared to the standards. No processed foods, limited diary, we make 75% of our food from scratch and eat organic as much as possible. I do let them have candy (choclate) more than they should.
Is there anything I can do to make him healthier? Or at least help him get better quicker?

·
Registered
373 Posts
If he is sensitive/allergic to dairy, all dairy should be eliminated. If the immune system is constantly dealing with allergies, it might not be strong enough to fight sickness/cold/infections. Has he been RAST tested? If not, consider getting all his regular foods tested, and find out if there are any undiagnosed allergies.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is RAST testing? Is that the blood tests? My ped refused to refer me out to an allergist till he was 2 and my insurance wouldn't cover it without the referal. He siad it wasn't neccesary till he was 2. So ihad to figure out the soy and dairy allergy myslef. He is almost 3 now and we didn't have health insurance for a while but we do now. I meet his new ped this weekend. (we found her through the ap dr referal yahoo group. )

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Your poor bunny!

Start reading Nutrition/Immunology 101 sticky in Vaccinations forum.

It's not just allergies, it is his basic system that's been bombarded by vaxs and drugs.

It's possible that you had nutrient deficiencies during pregnancy too that were passed along to him. Stress requires a lot of nutrients to process. As well as bombs your gut flora.

Consistently 2 things show up in studies for eczema as lacking: essential fatty acids and gut flora. Find the thread "The Eczema Tribe" for more advice on that front.

This is going to be a long road to understanding, but it will be worth it I promise. To be able to understand the underlying reasons will be priceless to you and your son.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK I made it tp pg 7 of that thread before it all stared to look like one big word.
I'm guessing the wal-mart Vit C and probiotic I am giving him are pretty much crap. I'm going to head to the NFS this evening and get something better.i'm going to order the jurassic silverado supplement but I need to get something till it comes in. Once it does I still continue with the probiotic, right? how about the Vit C?
Any advice on how I can get him better for now? Right now his fever 103.3. How high is too high? He is 3 yrs old.I am fighting the urge to go to the store and buy some tylenol so badly. i just gave him a cool bath and I am going to tkae his temp again.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Yes that thread is a monster

Sorry, that is probably more for the long term than what you need right now.

Try hunting around for some fever/tylenol threads in Vaccinations. I see that the Search function is up again. Personally I wouldn't worry. Children get hotter than adults. So unless he is very lethargic, obviously dehydrated, trust that his body is doing what's needed to kill off the virus. Watch him instead of the numbers on the thermometer. Hard to do I know though.

Try giving him vitamin C very often, at least 4x/day or more. At least a gram at a time or more. It washes out of your body in an hr or less. Ascorbic acid is just fine. But there is also a great thread entitled "Sodium Ascorbate" which is the preferred buffered form of vit. C. Can give more before getting the runs. There is a formula that MT posted in times of acute trouble, the amount of sodium ascorbate to give. I *think* it's something like 250mg per kg. (2.2lbs) is the minimum you want.

Vitamin A, the natural form from cod liver oil is also excellent for viruses. The body depletes A from the liver so rapidly with fevers. The minimum is 5,000 IU/day for small kids so I would give more. High vitamin cod liver oil recs here:
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html

The only one in stores is Garden of Life.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is very lethargic He has been up for about a total of 20 minutes all day. He wakes up has something to drink and then goes back to sleep/ He also has been talking in his sleep which is something he only does when he has a bad fever. I did give him a bath in luke warm water and that brought his fever down some but he is still just sleeping. I don't think he is dehydrated because he has been drinking quite a bit when he wakes up. i'm gonna go look for those threads.
I don't find it hard to watch him and not the numbers I cactually didn't even have a therm. I ran out and bought one when he started acting funny but now that I know what his fever is i'm all uptight. I also took his fever under his arm do you add 1 degree or 2 to that?

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apwannabe
He is very lethargic He has been up for about a total of 20 minutes all day. He wakes up has something to drink and then goes back to sleep/...

I also took his fever under his arm do you add 1 degree or 2 to that?
I think it might be time to have him tested... extreme lethargy could mean a serious bacterial or viral infection.

I think you add 1 degree to under arm temp.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
yes, add one degree to axillary (armpit) temp.

First of all, major
to you! I will be praying for you and your son! You must be so worried about him.

Have you taken him to a chiropractor? Chiropractors aren't just for pain - we actually deal with subluxations which cause interference with the nervous system. The nervous system controls the immune system (and every other cell function in the body). I agree with the pps that your poor boy has had a whole onslaught of traumas to the body since birth, and you also mentioned that you had a stressful pregnancy. I suspect some of his issues may have started in the womb.

I agree with the others who have given you good suggestions about cleaning up his diet/environment even more than you already are. Working on helping his body strengthen his immune system by removing nerve interference can only help the situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.