Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two olders (four and almost three) have a great time running around with each other and with the baby. However they have a terrible habit of shoving each other and the baby! My big issue is that it is really dangerous because they run up to one another and just shove. The shovee is not expecting it and the 14mth old has nearly clipped her head on the corner of the wall/coffee table/etc several times. We are not a violent family, we do not hit, and really try to use gd. But I just do not know what to do. Anyone else going through this??? Is it just the age? How do we redirect this behavior???? HELP!

TIA

Olivia

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I wish I could help. My 3 1/2 year old also has a tendency to push. I have to watch him like a hawk at the park. For him, it seems that when he starts to get comfortable or used to another child he gets excited, isn't sure what to do and pushes. Sometimes, though, it seems like he just wants the physical contact and/or wants to see someone fall down. His 11 month old baby brother doesn't walk yet, so he gets down on the floor to push into him. I tend to say "gentle" a lot and have tried to have talks with him about pushing, but none of it really seems to help.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Young children are very physical in general. They are exercising their big motor skills. That's why they, generally, like lots of running, jumping, throwing big balls, and rolling on the ground as opposed to more fine motor skills. Pushing, for better or worse, is a large motor skill.

I would encourage them to do it outside and just make sure both participants are willing. I wouldn't curb the behavior too much, they'll learn their own limits if allowed to. Can they do it in a bedroom separate from the 14m old?

If it really bothers you, you can try to substitute another large motor activity. Maybe large ball or something to jump on. If you have the $ and space there are things like jumpolenes that allow kids to get all that energy out.

Just know that it's very normal behavior and isn't the result of something you did or didn't do. Young children are very much in their bodies and use them to the fullest.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both soooo much! I really try and let them be, but it is just really dangerous in the house! I'll pull out my big birthing ball and let them push that around. I hadn't even thought of that! Your words are just what I needed! MDC ROCKS!!!

Olivia

1 - 4 of 4 Posts