Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheesh. I can't figure it out.

I washed on hot, hot water a zillion times. I put some Dawn in the wash.
I used some Sensi-clean (I only had 1 sampler pack.)

I have about 16 pocket diapers between both boys that I can't even use now. My dh has to use the prefolds and he's getting cranky about it! LOL!

What am I missing? Are they ruined forever?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
the way that always works with me is to wet them in the sink and scrub them with your fingers or a fingernail brush(or tooth brush) on BOTH sides(inside and out) and then rinse, this is the way described on the Happy Heiny's website and it always works when I do it!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Okay my fleece saga LOL, When I lived in West Texas (super hard water) I bought three small fuzzi bunz to use on my DD at night, I loved them and then I discovered little lambs AIOs and fell in love with the prints ans got like 14 of these with fleece lined soakers. So I had bassic day night systeam of fleece inner diapers. I was happy
Then it happened my LL started to repell
: It seamed as though DD was peeing right through them, I contacted Jennifer and we exchanged dozens of Emails as she made sugestions on how I could fit the problem. I tried changing detergent (Used Cheer at the time) using less using more stripping hand scrubbing (this worked untill the next wash then the problem returned) Finially I tried some Calagon and my problem was instantly fixed.
We then moved to AZ (very hard water) and shorly before I size up to the medum FB and that included 10 new mediums, but we had only been in Tuccson a few days when everything started to repell. And DD rashes were getting severe. I sripped the diapers lots and lots and they still repelled, I added Calagon ect and no change they actually got worse. Meanwhile I was at a lost on figuring out DD rashes. Blistering bleeding welts but not yeast. A doctor finially recommended using a baby "safe" detergent and even thoug hI was told this was a big CD no no I was desperate so I got a small box of dreft, and washed everything with a small amount of dreft and calagon, when the diapers were dry I tested the fleece and for the first time in weeks the water wicked through!
It was slow but before I could pour on a cup or so and it would just sit there. Then a break through came a week latter I ran out of calagon and washed without it. My fleece finially wicked moisture instantly. I though t it was concidence but when I tried it back with the calagon the repelling started to come back. My next test to see if I could use "other regualer" detergents if I just lost the calagon, I tested tide, cheer, all, biokleen, and surf all caused instant repelling all were instantly fixed with the baby detergents.
Over time I have learned some important stuff
1) the only detergents I can use on my DD that don't cause repelling or give DD a rash are Dreft, Ivory, Eathandsun
2) DD does well without fleece being next to her bum 24 hours so we use at night but not during the day
3) any colored fleece gives her rash

4) vinager really helps give the final touch in cleaning diapers and keeping rashes away but I learned to add it to the intial first rinse, not the final, adding to finial increases stinkness. and helps do a quick "strip" before washing
Basically what Im getting at? Sometimes the unexpected works, I like not having to worry about repelling anymore. Intresting enough even though I do do ocassional strip washes the no detergent till no suds thing (ussually when diapers start to stink once DD pees) I have yet to experience any repelling with my fleece. Its almost been a year since I found what the problem was NO problems with repelling since!

Deanna

·
Registered
555 Posts
Okay I'm bumping this thread because I'm courious with others experience. So what exactly does cause repelling? I personally don't believe its build up becasue as I've said above I've had build up and it contrubutes to say stinky diapers but it doesn't seem to affect the wicking power of fleece at all.

Deanna

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaDaednu
I wonder if the fabric just gets tired?

~Daednu
But all my fleece started doing it at the same time - my FBs that I've had for almost 2 years, Happy Heiny's that were given to me, and a SP fleece topped doubler....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts