Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You mention homeschooling. I have heard over and over...school was a waste of time for me. I hated school. I didn't learn anything blah blah...than you mention homeschooling and everyone is like, "Well you need to go to sschool!!"

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hipumpkins
You mention homeschooling. I have heard over and over...school was a waste of time for me. I hated school. I didn't learn anything blah blah...than you mention homeschooling and everyone is like, "Well you need to go to sschool!!"
:

·
Registered
17,896 Posts

I have wondered this myself.

you need to go to school for football and prom don't cha know.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
: This is right up there with the "what about their socialization" question and the fact that EVERY teacher I ever had told me that I wasn't there to socialize (which was a bit of an on-going issue for me.

·
Registered
874 Posts

Variation: a friend or relative is complaining about the bullies/teachers/curriculum/time/money or whatever that she and her child are dealing with, and you quietly say, "That must be so hard. I don't know, we homeschool."

Silence. And then you learn all about the wonders of their (aforementioned) school...best teachers, good policy about bullies, 4 star curriculum, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyka

I have wondered this myself.

you need to go to school for football and prom don't cha know.
I think that's what it is. well, all the social experiences. I think most people who think school was a waste of time as far as educating them for life probably had a lot of fun along the way.

And I think homeschooling = isolation in some peoples mind. They don't realize your child can and will likely still experience many of the wonderful (and not so wonderful) aspects of growing up and being a member of society just as schooled children do. It's not like they are locked in a basement staring at a chalkboard all day

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
As our sort encounter frequently on many issues: I think people are defensive about their own choice to send their children to public school. They don't like anyone who gives their children's education more thought or attention then they do/did.
I have encountered this with my MIL and SIL (and many friends) on EVERY issue. They both get defensive about my choice of homebirth, non-vax, non-circ, and now homeschool. They don't like that I gave these issues more attention and thought than they were willing to give.
And so it goes...if someone is doing a better job than you, drag them down!!!
:

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hipumpkins
This is basically what I pointed out to my husband when we first started dating, along with "you mean socialization like the kind you were getting when other kids beat you up?" and I had him convinced in about a week.
:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Well for one thing, they spend a lot of time in line at school, or at recess, or in meetings. Or going to and from class, there is just a lot of wasted time when you have a large group doing anything. That's one reason why I think a homeschooler can learn a subject in about a week or two of total consentration on it, that would take a year to learn in school.

When you homeschool, you don't have to stop working on a subject and put it away. Remember only having 45 minutes for each class? Real life doesn't work that way for me...I like to get totally engrossed in a project.

Homeschoolers who go to one playgroup and play for six hours every two weeks, probably gets them the same amout of recess or socialization as in school. My children love our homeschool group.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts