Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my 2 yo daughter has been hitting babies. She's great with any kids older/bigger than her and makes friends with everyone, everywhere. She is generally super outgoing and friendly, amazingly so. Hugs and kisses galore. The thing is, I never know when she's headed for another child whether she is going to shower them with hugs and kisses or hit them in the face. Sometimes she will tell me she's going to hit them, sometimes not. Obviously if she tells me then I can stop her, but often she doesn't. I know that this is within the range of normal toddler behavior and I've been pretty chill about it, but lately it is driving me crazy and I'm dreading things that should be fun, like story time or whatever. Like today, most of the kids she approached got hugs and kisses and love, but a couple times she went up to little ones and hit them right away. I don't get it. Does she just decide she doesn't like the look of certain kids or what?<br>
I have to hover (which I hate doing) and be ready to grab her at every moment, and it is really getting tiring. She is very easy to deal with most of the time and is extremely verbal, talking in full sentences since about 18 months, so I don't think it's that she can't express herself.<br>
I guess what I'm asking is: Do I keep doing the same thing I've been doing (We don't hit, hitting hurts, and moving her away from the kid or trying gentle touches if the other mom is okay with that) Or should I be doing more? I don't want to punish her by leaving a place and I can't just stay at home all the time anyway.<br>
Oh, and sometimes even the mention of another baby elicits an excited "Want to hit the baby" from her. I have also noticed that the ones she usually hits are the ones who look scared or shy or are just too small to interact with her. I just don't understand it because she is not generally mean-spirited at all.<br>
Any advice or wisdom from other mamas who have dealt with this?

·
Registered
464 Posts
My DD hits DS who is only 3 months old. She does it when he is nursing and she wants to nurse or he's sharing smiles with me and she gets jealous. I tell her no hitting and I shadow her pretty heavily. Sometimes I keep her out of reach so that she can't hit him. My advice is to tell your DD that she needs to ask permission to touch another person if she has a good command of language. Maybe it will make her think about how she wants to touch them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts