Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In WA state we can get organic milk, organic carrots. There are a ton of BF peer counselors at my local WIC (one who is nursing her 2 yr old), they even gave away wraps at a meeting once. They do not supply all the formula that is needed. At a recent appt I was encouraged to not start solids and coninue BFing 6 month old DD. The person was even glad that we are delaying/poss not even vaxing (this was prob just her and not the office though). Now they have other issues but are pretty BF supportive here. In Spokane, WA (we just moved) not very many BF peer counselors, same organic things, good about breastfeeding, and you can get extra checks in the summer for the farmers market.

Why is every WIC program not the same? It seems that everyone would be better served if there was a set of standards that each office had to meet. Like the stuff in the other WIC thread. And if the food choices were the same for everyone.

Allison

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Funding is mostly local I believe. The nutritionist at my local office was complaining to me that they have begged and begged for an ANSWERING MACHINE at the office and they're continually told "its not in the budget". We're both ready to just get one ourselves because its for the birds that no one can get ahold of people there and there's nowhere to leave messages. Organic food?
:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah around here, you cant get the organic stuff (Indiana that is) but we do have the Farmers Market if your child is older than 2.
Breastfeeding..hm. I'm sure I'm the client breastfeeding the longest although to my knowledge there are no peers

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well I know here they have a bfing board that shows polaroids of how long moms have been bfing (focusing on ext bfing, but also has pics of those who did it for shorter periods). And they are going to be doing the risks of formula campaign that just started in Cali. They have 3 peer counselors on staff, and the PC only work about 4 hrs/wk each so they aren't that busy (tells you how many women use it
) The director is SOOOOO probfing though. She and I had an amazing conversation when I was doing my little impromtu interview for becoming a bfpc. And all the staff were probfing (that I talked to anyways.) I think being in OR has a lot to do with it.. particularly the area (close to a fairly crunchy town).
Oh, they do do farmer's market certificates in summer (just have to attend a class) and are working on getting the changes with fresh fruits etc on the vouchers.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
WIC is run out of the US Department of Agriculture. It serves a dual purpose-- supplemental nutrition AND subsidizing farmers. I'm guessing since agricultural economy varies state-by-state, that's why benefits do as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You should feel sooooooo blessed!! WIC here is BOGUS! There is only on PC and she can only work 10hrs per week and she only bf for 6mos...and IMO not very educated on the topic.
liamsmommy: I think I was the longest at my WIC office to bf too! When they took my carrots and tuna away at a year...I was like "Ummm, he's still nursing like 10+ times a day" The WIC employee almost fell out of her chair. Then she started telling me how I need to stop because my milk wasnt providing anything for him anymore and if I didnt give him cows milk he'd just shrivel up and die!!
:

Oh yeah and organics? FORGET ABOUT IT!!!!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
WIC funds are pretty standard across the board but the amount of people using it varies greatly.

When I was in Washington (hell hole city) there was so many people on WIC you practically got nothing. Hardly worth the trouble.

Here in Alaska, we are blessed and I think we get quite a bit of stuff. Also we get $40 per person on WIC to spend at the local Farmer's Market in the summer (awesome)

I guess it is better then nothing?

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Quote:
Why is every WIC program not the same?
because they're annoying. I can never figure out what I'm supposed to do with two dozen eggs a month-- I just don't eat that many eggs!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I don't participate in the WIC program, we don't qualify. However, my OB gave me a huge informational packet, and there was a load of informative breastfeeding pamphlets from WIC. I was totally puzzled, because of the stuff I have read here. I thought they pushed formula. I'm sure the WIC in my area hands out formula like milk, but it seems that maybe they push breastfeeding. I would think that they would, to free up the formula for those who genuinely need it. Pushing breastfeeding makes sense to me, logically and financially. Afterall, they are there to help those with low income. Breastfeeding is FREE!!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
WIC funds are pretty standard across the board but the amount of people using it varies greatly.

When I was in Washington (hell hole city) there was so many people on WIC you practically got nothing. Hardly worth the trouble.

Here in Alaska, we are blessed and I think we get quite a bit of stuff. Also we get $40 per person on WIC to spend at the local Farmer's Market in the summer (awesome)

I guess it is better then nothing?
In Long Beach, where as of now I'm going to deliver (even though I live in Orange County) totaly household income has to be below 34,000 a year to qualify for WIC. I'm not sure what the maximum income level is in OC to qualify for WIC...but I assume we make too much. I might look into it...because it would be such a huge help for us.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kozmickreations05 View Post
shoot....around here you cant make more than 28,000!! Which is NOTHING!!!!!!!! Its like they want people to be lazy!?!
:
I wonder if you realize how hurtful this comment is. People have low incomes or need WIC for many, many reasons, not simply because they're "lazy".

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had no intention of being hurtful. Maybe you just didnt understand what I was saying. Like in my case, I only qualify for WIC if dh is the only one who works. And I know from experience even with me AND dh working WIC and foodstamps are STILL badly needed yet we do not qualify.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.