Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the reason for this? I was hoping to get an IUD (copper) at the beginning of my next cycle. Also, if it's not a medical necessity, do you think they can tell if I, um, ... cheated? (On the 14 days, not on dh!)

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satori
Is it that hard to abstain for 14 days? There's so much more to intimacy then intercourse.
Was that really necessary? I am aware of that fact.

I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows whether or not there is a good reason for abstaining for 14 days, which I've never heard anyone else mention, so that I know whether I have to wait for my next cycle since I'm not going to make the 14 days this time.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
My provider just asks that I either come in on my period, or that I only had protected sex since my last cycle.

Since I use a contraceptive foam, I plan to obstain for the 4 days that that stuff usually takes to leave because I don't want that present as an additional irritant.

For high risk populations, it's to ensure that the person didn't pick up an infection between testing and insertion. For pregnancy, if you're there on your period, you're obviously not pregnant. If they really want confermation, a urine test while you're mensturating is virtually foolproof.

A new copper IUD insertion also acts as emergency contraception, so any sex in the last 7 days won't cause a pregnancy anyway.

In your situation, I'd call them up and ask for an explanation.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Apricot. That's pretty much what I thought. I think I will just call later on today and ask if I can still come in in a week or so.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MabelsMama

I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows whether or not there is a good reason for abstaining for 14 days, which I've never heard anyone else mention, so that I know whether I have to wait for my next cycle since I'm not going to make the 14 days this time.

You were and are implying you cannot go 14 days without sex. You would be shocked at how many people do not know how not having sex can bring a couple closer rather then driving them apart. I would look at it as a chance to get closer to my partner rather then a deprivation.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satori
You were and are implying you cannot go 14 days without sex. You would be shocked at how many people do not know how not having sex can bring a couple closer rather then driving them apart. I would look at it as a chance to get closer to my partner rather then a deprivation.

Actually, I said I did not, not that I could not. Also, what brings some couples closer may not bring others closer. We are not all the same and there are no universal truths about these matters. If my partner and I feel that we can not go 14 days without sex-which is, again, not what I said- that does not mean that there is anything wrong with us or our relationship. You seem to be implying that we are missing some chance to benefit by not having intercourse. Perhaps we are, but perhaps not... just because it works for you doesn't mean it has to for everyone.

We did not wait 14 days this time... there is certainly no rush on getting an IUD. If, for some strange reason, I *had* to get one this month, I would have abstained. As it is, I can wait till next cycle, if necessary, or the next, etc. I chart, so I know when I am fertile. I just want more of a sure thing.

Thanks for the replies, everyone who had real information to share. I've got what I need!
I'm going to double check with the dr, but I think I should be able to go through with the insertion this month. Thanks again! Bye!

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
If you haven't had an IUD inserted before, you might want to warn your dh about the strings. Apparently they will be quite pokey and un-enjoyable, but they quickly become unnoticable as they curve and soften.
I suspect I won't be having intercourse for several days after my insertion, either.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I'm getting mine on Nov. 30 and asked the same thing. It's just a safety to make sure you don't get pregnant and aren't pregnant at the time of insertion. If you are and they insert one you can miscarry and other issues can occur. HTH!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MabelsMama

Speaking strictly for ourselves, we've already abstained, happily and intimately, for over two months both before the birth of our son, and for the healing process afterward. Adding to our intimacy through abstention is just fine, but I think we've done that quite well enough. We happen to greatly enjoy the intercourse of our love-making. (For others, perhaps, a period of abstention proves to be a relief from intercourse. That's not so for us. The closeness and ecstasy of intercourse matters.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.