Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't know where this would belong but, I get the sense that plastic toys are not preferred here. why is this?
I don' t buy toys-as a rule, hee hee

but/because so many others do. family and friends, i mean.
-my inlaws in particular LOVE wal-mart and problbly have 200+ dollars worth in lay-a-way as we speak!

once I really get into this and dmaybe decide (after being educated by you ladies) not to have a lot of playschool and little tykes toys around my house, how do i let others know?
come to think of it-
half the toy junk from LAST year is in the storage shed.
: still unopened
bratz dolls for my 5 year old and such-eye roll

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr...junk_toys.html

That's an article from Mothering that I think gives the basics.

We have stopped trying to convince relatives to stop buying them & we have really just stopped fretting over gifts that we wouldn't buy. As a result, we have lots of plastic toys. We don't buy them & if people ask, we tell them how we feel. But, a gift is a gift IMO. And the truly amazing thing is that they aren't really as fun as wooden blocks. They get played with all the time & for longer periods of time.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I know a lot of people feel that any toy made out of plastic is junk but I prefer to judge them on a case-by-case basis. I think some of the the Little Tikes toys are really great and well-made, especially the larger toys like ride-ons and outside toys. I also think that Fisher-Price Little People toys are good open-ended toys that allow the child to use their imagination.

OTOH, I despise the flimsy, cheap plastic toys that you often see (the things my mom often buys
: ). I stear clear of those since they get broken easily and just end up in the landfill.

I really like wooden toys for their durability and simplicity of design but I think that there are also plastic toys that are durable and have good play value. We have both in our house.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
We don't use a lot of plastic toys in my home b/c they're TOXIC. Most of them are made from PVC and then are chewed on by babies and kids. That is scary stuff and I hate having it around my dd. Also, I prefer natural toys that encourage the use of imagination. I told my whole family about how toys are toxic when I first found out in a way that was like "did you know?". I also added that I didn't want those anywhere around dd and was going to be buying better toys from now on. Most people really listened to me and try to get cloth of wooden toys now (Though I do have to dispose of the occassion hunk of plastic). I do however buy some Sassy and Munchkin toys though, 'cause they are PVC free.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050
We don't use a lot of plastic toys in my home b/c they're TOXIC. Most of them are made from PVC and then are chewed on by babies and kids. .
Actually the PVC is only in the soft toys. I don't think the hard toys have the same toxicity issues. Here's an article about it. http://www.oregontoxics.org/toys.html

We've definitely stayed away from the soft plastic toys, especially when dd was in that stage where everything went in her mouth.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I personally don't think all plastic toys are evil ... there is plenty of crap out there, but there are also some decent plastic stuff.

My son has a wonderful outdoor toy with a rock climbing wall and slide that is plastic, we've had it two years now and he still uses it. It's been lightweight enough to move a couple of times with us as well.

I also agree with the pp who said she thinks the little people sets are ok. My son really enjoys imaginative play with the little people.

We also have lots of wooden blocks, knit veggies and handsewn dolls.

I don't judge a toy on what it is made out of ... but if it will be a valuable toy for my child that will allow him creative, imaginative play.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
what tbarthauer said. My son loves the Little People stuff, and they don't require batteries or make noise or anything, and are pretty sturdy. He also loves his ride- on cars. Wooden toys are great for many reasons, but certain kinds seem to appeal more to me than to him. And while they at first seemed affordable, after a while when I saw how quickly he got sick of some toys, I started buying second hand, and many of those are plastic. So I buy both.
I do steer clear of totally cheaply made stuff, or anything TV/Disney related or anything loud. But I don't find them all to be like that, and many of them say PVC free on the label.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You should put those Bratz dolls on ebay! Or have a garage sale.

I've noticed that my son prefers wooden toys. They hold his interest much longer and he seems to have a special relationship with them compared to any plastic toys he's had. I have weeded out most plastics at this point, except for the Little People because he likes those.

The Mothering article posted above is great! Read it!

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
The Oregon Toxics link above is great! Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.oregontoxics.org/toys.html
ALTERNATIVES TO TOYS MADE WITH PVC: Look for and ask for PVC-free toys! There are many alternatives to vinyl and the following toy-makers are among those companies committed to safe, PVC-free toys:

* Small World Toys (makes PVC-free teething toys and "Gertie" balls)
* Early Start
* BRIO Corporation
* APRICA Kassai Incorporated
* Lamaze Infant Development
* Little Tikes (Rubbermaid)
* Ravensburger
* Turner Toys
* Lego Toys
* Toys R Us, in November 1998, announced its 'immediate plans for the worldwide removal of all direct-to-mouth products for infant use containing phthalates, such as teethers, rattles and pacifiers.'

Alternative plastics include polypropylene, polyethylene, EPM, EPDM, EVA, and bio-based plastics. None of these plastics require vinyl's extensive use of toxic additives, and none contain reactive chlorine as an essential component. In addition, traditional materials such as wood and textiles have been used successfully for years.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I also have to say that, from an aesthetic standpoint, I love the feel of wooden toys. Haba food -- man, is that stuff touchable! (Okay, so I have a little obssession...)s
-Erin

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aisraeltax
and legos are plastic....i think they are the greatest!!!
You should have seen my husband the day dd was technically old enough for Legos. He couldn't get out of the door fast enough to get to the toy store.

I find toys that don't require imagination more reprehensible than plastic toys. The plastic toys like Legos that we like and buy are socially responsible enough companies that we're not going to end up with plastics harmful to dd or us.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love wooden toys and am replacing my ds's plastic food selection with some wooden finds this Christmas.

I do have some plastic toys - but not junk one's either. I buy a lot from lakeshore Lerning which distributes to schools and they have PVC-free plastic toys - which for play food are better for babies than haba (for children 3 and up I think?).

That said wood is best - but wooden stacking cubes are a different toy than plastic nesting pots much better for knocking down!

So while I don't buy plastic and don't shop big stores - no Target, Walmart or 'R Us (I live in an urban area and we have great indie toys stores) I do realize they will come in as gifts.

I try to be specific about what my son "needs" (LOl - nothing) and tell IL's accordingly. Last year we asked for a doctor's kit (not a bad gift to get in plastic) and wooden puzzles - as well as playdoh and arts and crafts stuff (yes I would 1000% prefer the naturally made products but it's better than getting Ninja toys). My son also loves music, so suggestions for CD's and instruments.

I have some Little People that were given as gifts, I keep them at my moms house (we go a lot) and am thinking of getting some Plan City toys this year.

I'm really selective about toys.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What do y'all think about the pricing for wooden toys? I love them, but the prices are so prohibitive compared to similar plastic models of the same things. That's really my only beef with wooden - I understand the idea of quality, durability, etc. etc. but the price is hard to stomach sometimes (esp. as I'm a SAHM...)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
We actually find some GREAT wooden toys at consignment shops. Also, TJ MAxx and MArshall's here both carry Melissa and Doug for cheap.

We are not against all plastic toys. Our main thing is that we do not want the toy to play with itself. Some plastic toys leave no room for the imagination. Meaning, you push a button and it makes noise and that is it.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I didn't know that. They are much cheaper at TJ maxx though. I don't find them often at consignment shops, but on occasion I do. Melissa and Doug are pretty mainstream, so once and a while they show up at a thrift shop.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RainCoastMama
What do y'all think about the pricing for wooden toys? I love them, but the prices are so prohibitive compared to similar plastic models of the same things. That's really my only beef with wooden - I understand the idea of quality, durability, etc. etc. but the price is hard to stomach sometimes (esp. as I'm a SAHM...)
I usually get them at TJ Maxx and Marshalls where they are less expensive. My son's wooden toys are played with 100 times more than plastics. And, I figure they will be used by all of our future children and maybe even our grandchildren.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i researched it, the softer plastics have pthalates which do leach and are toxic. so i avoid all of the soft plastics altogether. i also avoid branding, like Dora, Disney etc. just because i think kiddie marketing sucks (and i have a niece who is Dora-addicted and hyper as hell). some of the hard plastic toys are actually pretty cool, like the "sights and sounds" Peek-a-blocks that can all be manipulated. (they sell ABC and farm, sports, food ones that didn't strike me as interactive enough). i got an 18-ball set of the Peek-a-balls, also all sensory-related, which the babe still loves (since 5 months!). she enjoys stacking and unstacking Megablocks (so do i *lol*). Legos rule, and i already have a ton of those for when she's older.

the electronic toys are a different story. i know some of them are hard plastic and "safe" but oh, the noises! the lights! UGH. the babe only likes two electronic toys: a farm animal See & Say, and a very quiet "book" that only sings the first half of nursery rhymes (i finish them for her). she actually shrinks back from most electronic toys, i think she'd rather do her own thing than watch a toy doing it for her, you know?

i buy wood whenever i can afford it. Wal-mart has a decent wood block set, wooden puzzles, and a wooden train set. AC Moore, the craft store, has a great wooden toy section! and the HFS store has some Melissa & Doug, they're not expensive ($5 for stacking rings). fabric is a big hit, also, i have a silks and scarves collection that the babe loves playing with, tossing around, covering up the cats *lol* truth be told, the best toy is still a wooden spoon and a mixing bowl.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.