Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am most likely repeating a subject, but here goes......Can y'all tell me about why you don't eat soy?
I know Mercola doesn't like it and I have a friend who is always ragging me about eating soy....I have read a bit about it, but I want to hear (read, whatever) what you have to say.
Thanks-

·
Registered
550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by christacular View Post
there should really be a sticky at the top of this forum with links to every soy-related (pro and con) thread in it. this question comes up every week or two.
Yes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I agree on the need for a sticky.

I don't eat soy because (a) I like to breathe; (b) I'm not ready to die yet; (c) I dislike the side effects of epinephrine; (d) I really hate the ER, almost as much as I hate hives.

In other words, I'm allergic.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I am not pro Mercola at all, infact, I don't agree with alot of what he says, he was just one source I knew that did not like soy. I re-read my post and saw that it seemed that I agree with what he says.
I knew there was probably alot of info already on this forum about soy vs. non-soy protein sources, and I'll admit, I was lazy about researching it. I will definitely go back now and look and what you have already talked about. My apologies.
I am curious because as a vegan, it is hard to get good protein sources. Also, beans and legumes give me, and in turn poor llittle Sequoia, some pretty bad gas.
I did see in the article that was posted that alot of vegans rely too heavily on grains and in turn do not have as healthy of a diet because grains are not that nutrient rich. I kindof agree...
How does a stickie great created?

·
Registered
396 Posts
my post was not meant as a criticism of your questions, sequoiasmom. just a general response to the "soy issue". it does come up a lot and the search function never seems to work for me here on mothering, so i thought it would save a lot of people a lot of frustration having something posted at the top of the forum.

imho, you'd have to work really hard at becoming protein deficient in our society, even as a vegan that avoids soy. also, there are lots of healthy nutrients in whole grains - including amaranth, which is a very high protein grain!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, yeah, I didn't take it negatively AT ALL, but thank you. I just thought y'all were probably sick of the question.....and yes, I totally agree that there are nutrient rich grains out there.
Infact, it has been fun trying different grains. I love millet...don't know the nutrient content on that one. I wonder about a good website to find the true nutrient content of foods?
And you are probably right about the protein thing, I guess the more pertinent issue is why is soy not good- that is what I would like to find out.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Responses will run the whole gamut here, and quite frankly there are a whole lot of people on either side of the issue. There have been numerous threads on the issue and a sticky would probably be a good idea - especially if it can come up with some links on both side of the issue b/c there are more opinions out there against soy than just the Mercola and WAPF ones.

If you've got a lot of time you might also want to try a search.
It would certainly be enlightening for more than just soy information reasons!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Well now I'm curious as well... people here don't eat soy? We don't eat soy protein isolates, or things of that nature, and definitely only organic... all the arguments against soy I've read and heard about involved those products... but we do eat tofu, tempeh, miso, tamari, and soy milk, I've never heard anything but good things about those products (as long as organic and not in extreme amounts... like how dairy is consumed in most non-vegan diets).

·
Registered
662 Posts
I too am soy allergic although for me it causes massive GI distress (read I cannot leave my toilet for days after a small amount)
: I get my protein from Quinoa and lentils mostly (beans give me belly pain and gas too).

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I read in the book Eat Right For Your Type that the argument against soy was fallacious. What I read about soy in the book was contrary to everything I had previously heard. I don't know much about the author of the book so I took it with a grain of salt.

Most of my previous soy info came from Dr. Mercola, so is what he was saying incorrect? What is the beef with soy? Truth betold I like soy patties and tofu. And I would love to eat them and not feel like I am doing my body harm.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
we don't do soy foor a few reasons one being that DH is allergic. he's been veggie before and like a lot of newbies assumed he had to substitue with soy. He ate a ton of it and as a result made himself very sick.

We do not have a problem with soy in it's original form (edamame...bean in the pod)..we do however have a problem with everything it's turned into. I read somewhere (I don't remeber where so take it with a grain of salt if you like
) that all the things we turn soy into (cheese and mock meats etc.) changes the biological makeup of it enough that it does have negative aspects and that it can make you ill. I don't know a lot about the estrogen issues with it so I can't say we avoid it for that reason.

I haven't read into the soy debate much because our main reason to avoid it is allergies. No need to read why it's bad when we know it's bad for us. I do think it's hard to get good info. There is no middle ground..you are either for or against soy. I think in general though America(ns) have such a hard time with it because just like everything else it's done in excess.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've heard all the arguments about soy being goiternergic and causing hypothyroidism, but then I read somewhere else that a lot of veggies are the same and when they're heated, the goiternergic properties are ruined. I've also heard that the phytoestrogens are bad, but then I read that other beans and fruits/veggies have phytoestrogens in even higher amounts, so soy isn't this evil crazy food. My one problem with it is you usually eat it in a processed form, but I love tofu and soy milk.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Quote:

there should really be a sticky at the top of this forum with links to every soy-related (pro and con) thread in it. this question comes up every week or two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Yes!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
I agree on the need for a sticky.

I don't eat soy because (a) I like to breathe; (b) I'm not ready to die yet; (c) I dislike the side effects of epinephrine; (d) I really hate the ER, almost as much as I hate hives.

In other words, I'm allergic.

Quote:

my post was not meant as a criticism of your questions, sequoiasmom. just a general response to the "soy issue". it does come up a lot and the search function never seems to work for me here on mothering, so i thought it would save a lot of people a lot of frustration having something posted at the top of the forum.

imho, you'd have to work really hard at becoming protein deficient in our society, even as a vegan that avoids soy. also, there are lots of healthy nutrients in whole grains - including amaranth, which is a very high protein grain!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
Please, mod, can we have a sticky?

:
:
:
:
:
:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.