Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
<p>They're often really great quality. New stuff lasts longer a lot of the time and it's a responsible way to buy new cotton. My DH got me lovely organic cotton t-shirts and legging a couple years back. I dunno I can't much make the case for it, I'm too frugal to buy new anything mostly let alone organic.</p>

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
<p>The greatest reason to buy organic is to stop the dumping of chemicals into the earth. Cotton is the crop that uses the most pesticides and herbicides. Then they add all sorts of other toxic chemicals for sizing and processing. These chemicals do expose your body to some toxins. When buying non organic it is best to wash new clothes in 1 1/2 cup vinegar to help rinse the chemicals out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Used clothing is an excellent option. It is the most earth friendly as it does not require the earth to create something new. Most of the chemicals have been washed out. It saves you money. I buy most of our clothing used and when we do buy new we always buy organic. My one problem with buying used is the unknown quantities of toxic fabric softener some thrift stores and e-bay sellers use. It is very hard to wash this nasty stuff out and we can't even have the clothes in our house until we do. More vinegar and many washings.....</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts