Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious why so many children go to preschool these days. It seems to be almost as standard as kindergarten. It's obvious why preschool if both parents are working. But why do it if a parent is home with the kids? Just curious. I don't send any of my kids. I have been asked if I have "taken any heat for that" from other moms and I noticed that when my older ds became about 3 I would get weird looks and behavior when I was asked about preschool and said he wasn't attending. I'm not sure what the big deal is.
Why is it so prevalent these days?

amy

· Registered
387 Posts
I kept one of my children home until kindergarten; so the real reason I sent the others to preschool is because they were lonely! If all the other children in the neighborhood go to school, they will be alone during the day. Also, it is nice to have time to shop or do housework without a child in tow (it takes literally half the time
).

Shifra

· Registered
2,469 Posts
I wasn't going to send my kids to preschool, but instead teach them at home. It turns out that dd1 was so painfully shy, she wouldn't even talk to the neighbor kids. So at four years, after much deliberation about it, I sent her to a kindergarten readiness preschool class just to learn how to make friends and gain self-confidence. She really blossomed in preschool and I think it helped her transition to K. She's still a slow-to-warm up child, but she's doing well now in first grade.

I sent my dd2 when she was 4. It turns out she was even more shy. I found out there she had selective mutism (she didn't speak at all the entire first year of preschool). Because I sent her to preschool and found this out, we had her evaluated and she's now in a early intervention preschool and she's pretty much mostly out of the SM now but she has an IEP for K. Had I not sent her to preschool, we would have lost time.

Dd3, the most social one, just turned 4 today. She'll be going to preschool in the fall. She will be the one to need to know how to behave in class because she might be the class clown (she's already silly at home). Also, with dd1 and dd2 in school, dd3 gets a little lonely. There is no one around here her age and she doesn't have any friends.

So for us, it's purely for the socialization.

· Registered
12,651 Posts
i am a single mom and work FT.

my dd went to a ps/dc. ps in the morning, dc in the afternoon. dd went in right after ps at lunch time. so technically we didnt do ps.

if i didnt have to work we'd have done different classes but not ps.

· Registered
4,615 Posts
I wonder how much of it has to do with "getting ready for kindergarten" or "getting a leg up on kindergarten." Many parents fear having the "only child entering kindy who isn't reading" though that's not expected of kids.

I think there's a real push for early academics and I personally don't like the trend. Let them be kids for as long as possible, I say!

· Premium Member
5,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
I wonder how much of it has to do with "getting ready for kindergarten" or "getting a leg up on kindergarten." Many parents fear having the "only child entering kindy who isn't reading" though that's not expected of kids.

I think there's a real push for early academics and I personally don't like the trend. Let them be kids for as long as possible, I say!
Sadly in some places it is becoming the norm to expect kids to have already attended ps and I know one family where the Mom really regrets that she kept her boys home until they started kindy. She did a lot with her boys as a SAHM but they were seen as being behind
. This is probably not happening everywhere but it does happen.

As for me my dd goes to a combination ps/dc because I work though even if I did not work she would probably go to a pt ps because she is uber social. It would be hard to give her the level of social interaction she needs if she were just home with me.

· Registered
128 Posts
I definitely got some strange looks and comments when it became clear that we weren't going to send DD to PS -- from the discussions I had with other moms (parks, playgyms etc) it seemed to me that it's definitely the "get ready" thing. Everyone here seems to do UPK (which starts as young as 3 -- they go by age by Dec 31st here) and since some of the UPK programs are quite academic, I think PS seems necessary to have that play-based program to get kids ready for school.

· Registered
934 Posts
Our kids did not/will not attend preschool. I'm in the "Let kids be kids for as long as possible" camp.

They are not "behind" in their social or academic skills. TYVM
There are millions of ways for kids to socialize in the community. I don't believe that socialization only occurs when put into a room with dozens of kids the same age.

I agree that there is a push to put kids into a school setting at younger ages. I don't think that this is necessary for all children.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
My kids both attended/attend preschool. When dd1 went to kindy, a few of the students had never attended school and were fine.

I am home full time and we attend a coop preschool. Honestly, I just heard such great things about the program and we attended the Parent Tot program so I enrolled them both when older enough in the 2 day and then 3 day programs. They both enjoy these type of activities and usually its all play anyhow. MY younger one really likes going, getting her backpack on, having a teacher etc. But she sees her sister attend school everyday and wants to be just like her. But everyone is different. My mother said never in a million years would I have done that. But my younger sister begged to go to school because she saw me going.

· Registered
3,508 Posts
We did preschool but then homeschooled after that.

I also believe in letting kids be kids. And some preschools do exactly that.

In preschool my kids climb trees, ride bikes, paint their feet, dig in sand, play in water, feed chickens, get covered in glue, glitter, gloop and mud. It's a wonderful chance to be kids in a totally relaxed, fun environment. (And for two of my children, I stayed with them through the entire experience, so it's not all about mom getting time off, either
)

Not all preschools are giving kids 'early starts' on academics, and not all kids who go to them are then going on to ps.

· Registered
730 Posts
I send my older DS because he wants to go. He wants to learn and spend time with other 3-4 year olds. He needs more then "park friends" that you meet once and never see again. Preschool is an easy way to do that.

I'm comfortable with the role academics plays at his school and really look forward to those wonderful, quiet 2 1/2 hours twice a week.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
We sent Ds#1 to preschool because he needed that outlet, he was bored alone with me at home and craved other friends to play with.
Ds#2 I didn't send to preschool, we worked on all he needed at home, he had plenty of opportunity to play with other children and really didn't need it.
Dd will hopefully go to preschool in the fall, she is very much like Ds#1 and has very little opportunity to play with kids her own age,and she is craving the company of kids. She doesn't need it for the pre reading and shapes colors etc, she's already got all that doing Hooked on phonics at home. But she does need to learn to take turns and sit for more than 10 seconds, she has the attention span of a gnat.

· Premium Member
9,385 Posts
For us, I sent DD1 to preschool at 3 because I was overwhelmed by having newborn twins and a serious chronic illness, and unable to leave the house very often, and she was going stir-crazy hanging around the house. Preschool gave her something to do that she didn't have to share with the babies, gave me a chance to zero in on the twins' needs, and gave her a chance to interact with other kids, which she wanted badly. She was naturally not outgoing, but WANTED to learn how to socialize, and I was just too busy and crazy and overwhelmed to help her.

I won't, however, send the twins so young. I won't have a baby tying me down, so when they're old enough to have a serious interest in interacting with other kids, we'll just find free or low-cost opportunities to get them some friends. Preschool costs a fortune around here, and I want to keep them close to me as long as I can. I might send them twice a week when they're four, if they seem interested in stepping out into the world a little. I think it might be a good opportunity for them to try going out into the world a little without me. But I might not; I don't know yet.

I think though that if you're in a neighborhood where most kids go to preschool, it's really hard to find kids who AREN'T in preschool, so if your child really wants to play with other kids, it can be hard to find them. I also think that a lot of parents have given in to the pressure of thinking their kids need academic preparation so early.

I think preschool is great, as long as it's a fun, low-pressure, child-centered environment. I also think no preschool is fine.

· Registered
4,864 Posts
I never gave a thought to kindergarten when I put my kids in preschool. I put them in preschool because they desperately wanted to go. They had friends who went and to them, it seemed like a great play time.

We found a preschool that didn't so much focus on academics as on socialization, creativity, imagination etc... and it was an awesome experience for them.

· Registered
1,527 Posts
Because my child thinks it is fun.

I think that some children do need a bit of extra time to learn basic school skills before kindergarten. There are a lot of children who could go into kindergarten without any preschool and learn the ins and outs of being in a classroom almost right away. Preschool can afford children extra time to get into the swing of things before kindergarten. Also, times have changed and there are a lot less families home during the day for impromtu playdates, etc. Preschool takes the place of that for many families.

Really, I am sending my lo because she thinks it is a good time. I also like that little bit of one on one time I get with my younger child.

· Premium Member
6,600 Posts
So my question is, do kids have to go to daycare in order to go to pre-k? Do they have to ready for pre-k?

Honestly, I dislike the trend as far as a "readiness for kindy" activity. If it is a play based environment where kids can be kids and learn in a homelike setting, then, I am all for it.

Not trying to be snarky with my above question, it just bugs me.

· Registered
11,576 Posts
I don't think kids "need" preschool. Neither of mine went. Both my kids homeschooled until this year, and then my 10 year decided to start school. She didn't "need" K, 1, 2, 3, or 4 to be ready for 5th grade. She's at the top of her class and has lots of friends. So the whole idea that kids "need" preschool is just silly to me.

That being said, I think preschool can be a wonderful opportunity for kids. Some of the programs are lovely. I think that kids should get to do fun things and enjoy their lives. They can do that at home or at preschool. As long as they are treated with love and respect, they will thrive. How and where to educate them is just a detail.

· Registered
1,219 Posts
Well, I work now so that is my primary reason for the littlest one to go, but before that I just needed some 'me' time. Preschool/Mothers Morning Out was a great way for the kids to have some fun with friends and me to have some down time or time to do errands.

At 4 I do/did feel like it is a 'getting ready for kindy' situation. Not necessarly academically but just the 'structure' of being in a classroom, having teacher, following class rules, ect.... To me it makes sense to 'try out' those concepts while they are still not that 'important' to make 'big school' and easier transition. PLUS our K is 5 full days, so jumping from nothing at all to all day, everyday school just seemed like too much. Preschool eases them into the routine.

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post

You can't attend kindergarten in our district until you've done a year of preschool (not sure how they enforce that if you don't start your kids in school until 5 or 6, but that's the official policy).

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.