I've noticed alot of posts concerning raw milk, and I'm curious as to why. Why raw milk? Is it better for you? Why is it illegal to buy in my state (Indiana)? Is it safe for kids? What about bacteria, like e. coli?
It's illegal in my state, you can check www.realmilk.com to find out if it's legal or not to sell it there, but if it is illegal then it's okay to sell to someone that is using it to feed pets. So I feed my "invisible puppies" raw milk, LOL!
Looks like it is legal there, but double check and don't take my word for it. If it turns out it is illegal, like I said, look at the site I gave you and see if there are farms listed close to you or do what I did, ride the country and just stop at farms and ask them about their milk. In states illegal, I have heard some tell farmers they are using it in their bath.
From what I'm reading and learning, raw milk (i.e. unpasteurized, non-homogenized milk) is a whole food containing whole nutrients and vitamins. It is, from what some sources say, a real super food in that respect and that at the end of the day the milk you buy in the store is really just a regular old beverage. Check out http://www.realmilk.com/. I hope to begin to make yogurt from raw milk in the future as I never really liked to drink milk and the thought of drinking raw milk is a bit disgusting to me. I can wrap my head around eating raw milk yogurt though . . . weird, I know, but true. Contamination is a problem but there's a push for getting certified raw milk . . . I think it's best to know the conditions on the farm and to make sure (with your own two eyes) that the cows are treated well and fed only grass as this will ensure the best quality milk.
I have no idea what the big deal is about milk in general...but I do know I stay FAAAR clear of raw milk. I had raw milk for a week, I had no choice (traveling and staying with a host family)...it made me sicker than sin. A whole household of raw milk drinkers...and I was the only person that got sick (the point I'm making, is that there was nothing wrong with it) *IF* I drink it, I prefer it pasturized.
frenchie, the reason you got sick is because your body was not used to all the beneficial enzymes and such that raw milk contains. When first drinking it you have to take it slow like no more that 1/2 to 1 cup a day while you re-populate your gut with the beneficial bacteria. HTH