Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6,245 Posts
I always do mine in a crock pot - I can put it out of the way, even out on the porch when it's stinkin' hot and I don't want to warm up my kitchen, and let it chug away for 24 hours.

Yep, you extract a lot more nutrition from the bones the longer you let it bubble away.

· Registered
6,245 Posts
My crock pot is six quarts. I usually do chicken stock, since dh doesn't eat red meat we have far more chicken carcasses around than beef bones. In that pot, I can fit a whole carcass from a chicken I roasted for dinner, about the same volume of additional chicken parts (I buy backs and feet from my favorite chicken farmer, feet make the *best* stock), all the veggies and about 2 quarts of water. The stock winds up very concentrated - I usually dilute it somewhat when I use it. It's very little effort once a week.

· Registered
870 Posts
How much vinegar do you use in your broth water when you soak your bones? I put a couple tablespoons to about 2 quarts of water, but dh said it was much too vinegar-y. (I mixed a little baking soda in to neutralize the acid-was that a bad thing to do?)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.