Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just courious I see a lot of lovely diaper stashes and many with tons of wool and was wondering why. I love wool my self and have two wool soakers you would have to pri out of my cold dead hand before I give them up. (made by my SIL) and two staninator covers which are nice when I need a wrap style wool cover this is even way more than I need. (one of each would have been plenty) Is there a reason for the large stash of wool diaper covers? Is it just a shopping thing
Just courious.

Deanna

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
For me we have moved to all wool covers (we do still use some PUL in AIOs and also the occasional Fuzzi Bunz, but except for that it's all wool). Because of that I require enough to get me through the day, and heavier weight wool wraps for overnight. Taking into consideration that wool takes so long to dry (especially in our humid climate) I need enough to rotate while one is drying. I could probably get by with 3 wool covers for the day and 2 for the night. However, I like variety, and have a recent soaker addiction, so I have quite a bit of wool - not as much as some - but more than others!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
we pretty much only use wool. My ds has very sensitive skin that gets a rash when it's covered in pul for very long. Wool has made it possible for us to use cloth. I don't have a huge amount of wool. My ds has a total of 7 wool covers that fit at the moment. We also have 8 smalls and 7 mediums for the baby due next week. That might seem like a huge stash to some but really there are a lot of people that have that many covers per size. And yes, I do like to shop.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Some mamas have multiple sizes for multiple kids in cloth, some like to shop/collect them, some keep trying and buying and not reselling or trading the ones they've acquired, some like a new cover with each diaper...I'm sure there are more reasons than the ones I've listed. For me personally, I have covers in every size right now. I certainly don't need them all, but I haven't decided which ones to part with yet, as many are on hold for Zach to grow into (they were Ian's) and some he is about to outgrow but I haven't listed them yet. I do like to have plenty of covers though, so that I can leave one in the vehicle, diaper bag, have extras in case of blowouts or while others air dry, etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was talking to a friend of mine about this yesterday and she asked me how many covers I have in rotation. I keep 3-4 right now, since that's what I have. We only cd in the evenings and on the weekend since I work FT, too. I'd have to have more if I wanted to cd fulltime. I have a super heavy wetter, though, and I like to change out covers if they get damp.

Here's another question...how do you keep your cover in rotation? My friend has purchased a wire rack, but I don't know that would work for me. I was thinking of getting some stackable wire cooling racks to go under my changing table to lay covers out on while they dry. Any other ideas for how to keep/store wool while it's not on a bum?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Yep, an addiction. I am addicted to wool the same way I am addicted to fitteds. So soft, and I like variety. I have:
2 Celtic Wolfs
4 Kiwi Pies
1 me made cashmere cover
1 bumhuggers soaker
2 BJ's Marketplace soakers
1 Loveybums WIO
2 me made soakers(that we NEVER really use)

I think that's all. Plus I am planning on getting 1 WIO in the mail soon, and I am working on sewing some cashmere/wool covers. You can never have enough!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
My ds has very sensitive skin that gets a rash when it's covered in pul for very long.
same trouble here.
Actually he is enjoying drying out time and going diaperless

he has been rash prone since the meconium touched his bum and going naked is the only way to solve his sensitive skin trouble.
Which is very very hereditary on my mothers side (we all are allergic to perfumes/detergents/fabrics,etc)

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
We also use wool full-time and I do like the variety. We have a mix of covers/wraps and soakers/shorts. I don't have pics, but here's a list (of his mediums - we also have 4 small SP that don't fit anymore):
2 KP
3 SP
2 Stacinator
1 HPC
1 BJMarketplace
2 Mommy-knit LTK soakers (I have to adjust thighs so they fit again)
4 Mommy-made bum sweaters (two are used most)
3 Mommy-made wool interlock covers (well, 1 is waiting to be finished)
1 Soaker shorts (awesome fairy gift ... we love them at night!)
2 New Zealand soakers (from HPC sale)
1 Pickle Pants (on the way from the TP)
1 Cloud Cover (tester to be done sometime this month from Pickle Pants)

I really to love using wool ... the covers I have all serve a different purpose (for instance the Stacinators are too low in the rise for most of our fitteds, but I made snap-ins for them; also the HPC cover and one of the SP are also just used as wio's; some are light-weight and trim for under clothes; some are great with just a t-shirt). Addiction? Maybe ... but they do all get used at some point in time.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
No,no, not an addiction at all...

We have different wool for different reasons. We have nighttime covers/soakers (and he hates soakers right now, so we got another wool cover to help out there). We have crawling outside wool (picklepants). We have pretty, show-off wool (WoolyBumBums & crackle dye Kiwipie). We have crawling in the house wool (ebay bought Kiwipie). There's all purpose wool (KP Rice can do it all, except crawl outside in dirt!), there's wool that's more like shorts (MosaicMoon), and there's wool that is in a pile to be sold,lol (earthybaby soaker, since he's in a hating soakers phase...) Nope, not addicted. Just well stocked for every occasion!

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Well for me I spend my $$$ in the wool. Because that is what I see on her bum more so than the diapers, which is why my current obsession for WIO's.

I think it's like anything you appreciate. I know some women who have hundreds of pairs of shoes. I guess I see that I can turn around and sell my wool and get what I paid for out of most of the ones like Kiwi Pie etc.
KWIM? I guess we all have our weakness. A nice luxe cashmere wool cover will get me everytime!
Summie

·
Registered
177 Posts
A lot of babies wear just the wool (and diaper of course) with a shirt or dress, too, so it's like having that many pair of pants or shorts. I kinda see it as clothing. You might only need a few, but it would be boring to see the same pair over and over everyday.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Novajet
A lot of babies wear just the wool (and diaper of course) with a shirt or dress, too, so it's like having that many pair of pants or shorts. I kinda see it as clothing. You might only need a few, but it would be boring to see the same pair over and over everyday.

Exactly...this is US. I have lots of wool for this reason...unhuh...yep..that's me.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Novajet
YUP!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I need more wool. I have exactly 2 wool wraps (FCB) and 2 soakers (one for each boy) to use in cloth diapering my 2 sons. Yep, that's it!! That's all I have and I do pretty dang well. I'll just say my boys spend A LOT of time coverless around the house. Covers are for bedtime or going out only right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts